Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Picking out THE tree for your treestand >

Picking out THE tree for your treestand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Picking out THE tree for your treestand

Old 12-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Picking out THE tree for your treestand

ORIGINAL: drockw

Another thing i like to do when climbing or hanging a stand is to think about where the sun is going to be when im hunting. The last thing you want is the sun glaring in your face for 4 hours. I know that is kind of nitty thing but it really sucks when you are stuck with it. It makes it less comfortable and takes away from your concealment.
Derek
I too consider the sun somewhat. I like to have the sun at my back in the evening, if possible, to give the deer less of a chance to have me spotlighted. With my back to the tree, and the sun to tree, and the sun in the deer's eyes, I think it helps a lot.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

1. The deer or kind of deer you after will walk by this tree during daylight hours.
2. You study the terrain and have a great understanding of how the thermals and winds will work in the spot you want to hang the stand, then you consider how you aregoing to get in and out without letting every deer that passes by here knowyour invading their travel area.
3.The best possible cover and sun considerations.

Sometimes a natural ground blind is your best option when the "right" tree isnt there at the spot that you know deer are passing by.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my area, it can be really tough to find some of those narly trees with great cover. Lots and lots of hardwoods, straight hardwoods. Something that I have found that works for me is to face away from where the deer are coming from and keep the trail to my left "right handed shooter". This keeps the tree between me and the deer until they are by me.

Location first, then a suitable tree.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:19 PM

I look for a good location and then go from there. I do with what i have and if i can get a tree with a "Y" in it, ill set up in between it to help break up my outline.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

location and where i would most likely ambush the deer
Old 12-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

I look for location too, look for the trails/funnels and when you find the spot, look for the tree and if there is not one, dang!

Ispoke to Myles Keller at hunting convention about 10 years ago. He said that he looks for "Killing trees" I said "huh?" He said a killing tree is a tree located at a spot where the contours of the land make the wind thermals raise up making it so your scent is carried away. He said they are very hard to find but he has several of them in his favorite hunting spots and he visits them year after year and they never stop producing. Ipersonally have not found one yet but my buddy and I always half joke about finding one of these mysticaltrees.