Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 picking a tree stand >

picking a tree stand

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

picking a tree stand

Old 04-08-2008, 09:13 AM

Default picking a tree stand

hey everybody

I waswondering how you guys pick your treestand setup and what you look for? I'm wondering this because I'm new to hunting with treestands and that and serious need help with it any suggestion well help big time
Old 04-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: picking a tree stand

I actually see what other people are using. Like my family has all had different types of stands, and through everybodies trial and error, I have settled with a summit.
If I had to get a new stand they would be in this order
1. Summit, makes a fast, comfortable, sit all day stand. to me the best stand made,
2. Ole Man, light and pretty well made.
3. API, extremely comfortable however little on the heavy side
4. Loggy bayou, havent hunted out of one in years but they are very light and quiet, i just didnt like the way they gripped the tree.

All of these are reasonably priced and good quality stands..
Old 04-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I have to pack it in very far, it's the weight I'm most concerned with. If I'm going to leave it up for long, it's the most comfortable one. As far as brands, the ones listed already along with Gorilla are all good choices. Seat size and distance of seat to platform are important to comfort if you're not of average size.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

I think I totally misunderstood the question, My bad. I thought you meant how you decide which treestand to buy. Sorry....
Old 04-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: killadoe

I think I totally misunderstood the question, My bad. I thought you meant how you decide which treestand to buy. Sorry....
I just edited mine because I thought I had
Old 04-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

hmmmm is it Monday, ....... nope...... hahahaha
Old 04-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Being honest.....When I first started hunting....I sat up on the edges of my hunting areas....because I "thought" they were using the interior as a bedding area. I didn't want to disturb that.....so I hunted the edges for a good while (my entire first season). In my second season.....I hunted the edges until I wanted to push it a little....and started moving in. I found out (through sheer incompetence) that they weren't bedding on the property I hunt, at all.

By hunting the edges, though.....I was able to observe a lot more than I probably would have if I'd dove into the heart of the woods right off the bat. It was a sound strategy.....I just didn't know I was doing it.

On the new land I have acquired.....I'll be doing that on purpose.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fly-- What do you know about the area you'll be hunting? Where do the deer bed, where do they move to feed? What are the food sources that will be available at the beginning and throughout the season? If you know these things and can establish a general travel route to and from these areas. The next thing to do is find a suitable tree for your climber. Make sure the tree is not just out in the open, where you may be silhouetted against an open back ground. (from the approaching deers point of view).

If you are unsure of these things take a walk now..see whats out there, any sign still from last year rubs scrapes, any tracks from recent movements?

As summer begins to wain, scout from a distance with binoculars at first and last light. See what you can learn.

As Jeff said play it safe at the beginning better to error on the side of caution and ease in. Unless pressure dictates that you hit the best area as soon as possible.

Lastly don't get pinned down to one spot have multiple spots and rotate them, often, over hunting a stand will turn a great spot sour rather quickly. Always hunt the wind and remain scent free as possible even from a treestand. Good Luck.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

Find a food source, find a trail to that food source, find a straight tree with cover along the trail to the food source, climb it.Dont over hunt and area, the beauty of a treestand is being able tochange location. Thats pretty much it in a nut shell.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

after years of trial and error, I find myself preferring a nice ladder stand. something comfortable with a nice big platform to stand on, weight has no influence to me, since I hang it and tend to leave it, if I need to move it I move it.

even in a nice hangon, i want a big solid platform with a comfy seat, arm rests are nice too, I sit in/on stand sometimes the entire day, so comfort is abig thing for me, most stands can be ok for a couple of hours....but 8hrs or more is another story.

I also prefer a flip up seat.

Quick Reply: picking a tree stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.