Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A serious question... I promise >

A serious question... I promise

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A serious question... I promise

Old 12-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A serious question... I promise

Well an exercise you can do is a seated row or take a dumbell and bend at the waist and lift the weight the way you would draw a bow. I'm not sure what they call this. If that bothers you back find a bench to lay flat on you stomack and pull the dumbell up like you would pulling the bow.

This gives you th opertunity to warm up. If your going to shoot you can do this with light weights before pulling your bow. This will help build up you muscles with out injuring yourself more. Ultimately you bow is the exact thing you need to use but if you want to build up strength you'll be better off working up to it. This will give your muscles time to get blood flowing which helps build muscle.

I suggest trying it with light weights maybe 5 lbs. Do 15 reps then go to 10 and do 15 more... then 20 etc. If you belong to a gym they have all the dumbells you'll need. Ask a trainer if need be and they will show you how to do that particular exercize. Maybe someone else knows the name of the one I'm refering to.

Turn that bow down too. That way you can build back to the 50 lbs.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get thera-bands... basically you can go to about any doctor or physical therapist office and get them for free or very little cash. They come in different colors which indicate different strengths. You can tie them to the door knob, stand on them whatever to work the exact muscle you need. This is how I rehabbed my shoulder after rotator cuff surgery.

http://www.thera-band.com/store/index.php?CategoryID=11
Old 12-12-2008, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll tell you huntingirl that after three back surgeries I thank god for my crossbow. I hunt the same way I do with my compound and the rush and excitement are still there.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I broke my back about 25 years ago now and I had to lower my poundage way down and just shoot, Your back muscles will come back. But remember with todays bows you don't need alot of poundage. My daughter shot her first deer with a #35 bow and smoked right through it like butter. With the speed and right broadheads you can still bow hunt. Walt
Old 12-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just do 3 shot practice sessions all year so it doesn't hurt, you say the 4th one is the killer. then when the season comes around you only need one pull if you have gotten proficient with the practice.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

I injured my back eight years ago and because I didn't listen to the doctor's advice after the 1st operation I now have hadsix back operations that have left me with permanent nerve damage and in constant pain. I am still able to do some very limited hunting as long as I stick to flat ground and make arraignments for someone to drag out my deer.

My advise is to listen to your doctor and your back. If pulling the bow back is causing pain it could also be causing more damage to your back an nerves. Depending on your state regulations you could consider going the crossbow route like I did. It is nearly the same thrill as bow hunting with a vert.

Bob
Old 12-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

they make things called powerbands, we used them alot in high school football to warm up and stretch before practice. I figure they would help u out. They look like a big rubberband and i think theymake some stronger and weaker, i don't know.....just a suggestion
Old 12-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ever try a crossbow? they have mechanical systems built on them to draw it for you!