Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Summit Viper Ultra or XLS >

Summit Viper Ultra or XLS

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Summit Viper Ultra or XLS

Old 04-06-2003, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Summit Viper Ultra or XLS

I' ve decided to buy one of these stands. Is the gun rest feature of the Ultra worth the extra $$$? I' ll be using the stand for both gun and bow hunting so will the gun rest be in the way while bowhunting? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-06-2003, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Summit Viper Ultra or XLS

I use the Viper XLS for both shotgun and bowhunting. I love it for both. The bar on the front is great for laying your gun or bow on while your waiting for deer. It' s really easy to shoot from as well, even with a gun. I haven' t used the Viper Ultra, so I don' t have an opinion of it.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Goliath and have used the viper xls a good deal. Both are outstanding stands and well suited for bow or gun hunting. You will need to stand to shoot your bow under most situations, but the extra comfort it provides is well worth it. I have not used the ultra, but I would say it would be a great help for gun hunting, but may be a bit much for bowhunting, thats just speculation on my part though.
Old 04-06-2003, 08:16 PM

I use the Viper XLS, and it is great. The front bar gives me just enough of a secure feeling, I' m not worried about stepping off the platform....The front bar is good for laying my bow on while waiting for deer. I always stand to take my shots, so it does not get in the way even with my 39" axle to axle length bow.
I can' t say enough good about my Summit!
Old 04-07-2003, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

I have the Viper XLS and agree with the above posts, it is a great climber. As far as the gun rest, for me, I did not feel that it was worth the extra $$$. It was not nearly stable enough and noticeably sagged when I laid my gun into it. It also was not high enough for me to get a good look through my scope. It was removed after my 2nd outing with it. The foot rest on the other hand is a worthwhile addition. It allows me to stretch out a bit more than if I had the platform only.

The bar does give you a more secure feeling, especially when standing to shoot.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:48 AM

I don' t know which one you should buy but you are definitely going in the right direction with Summit. You will not be disappointed with their products. I have the open front Bushmaster because I use it more for bowhunting.....