Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 DIY elk hunting tips >

DIY elk hunting tips

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

DIY elk hunting tips

Old 12-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DIY elk hunting tips

Nice post hardcore! I'm waiting for everybody to add their thoughs then I'm going to copy and paste
Old 12-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Great post! Losts of good advise. What tent is that Hardcorehunter? My hunting partners and I are thinking about investing in a good tent and stove.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

No I didn't gt him aged. But he is deffinately an old boy. His Ivories were the most worn I have ever seen. And he has several weird things going on with his rack. I will post some good rack shots when I get him back from the bug guy! Congrats on your bull! I too was close to a MONSTER bull, I got within 50 yds of him twice. I even drew on him. But in my opinion it was just to far... He tore the crap out of several jack pines right in front of me..

Also with batteries, if you can warm them up they will last a little longer. I taped a hand warmer to my camera battery as a test. Lasted a lot longer that without the added heat.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Colorado Cajun

Great post! Losts of good advise. What tent is that Hardcorehunter? My hunting partners and I are thinking about investing in a good tent and stove.
I bought that online of all places..on a hunting forum..imagine thatI gave $300 and the stove went with it. It is a military tent and these can be had a lot cheaper than a wall tent from Cabelas. Military surplus stores are a gr8 place to start. The stove is a homemade one and the legs come off for travel.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Banned

Nice bull Dopler...u must be hunting private and going through an outfitter as NM is all lottery even for us resident hunters.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your hunting the mountains where no motorized machines are allowed (the way It should be) your not going to be able to bring some of the stuff you had said.

My tip Is pack smart being you won't be making the trip up and down the mountains all to often If your packing In by foot. You have some good tips though Don.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

If your hunting the mountains where no motorized machines are allowed (the way It should be) your not going to be able to bring some of the stuff you had said.

My tip Is pack smart being you won't be making the trip up and down the mountains all to often If your packing In by foot. You have some good tips though Don.
I hunt the mountains and no motor vehicles are allowed off of roads...so I don't understand?
Old 12-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

How am I going to pack these things In 7 miles on foot In the mountains?

10. Bring a treestand and a ground blind as these are going to both be utilized.

13. Bring a table or two to put outside of your tent...a must for putting gear on and cooking off of and very convenient.

18. Bring a broadhead target so you can practice in camp out to 50 yds.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

How am I going to pack these things In 7 miles on foot In the mountains?

10. Bring a treestand and a ground blind as these are going to both be utilized.

13. Bring a table or two to put outside of your tent...a must for putting gear on and cooking off of and very convenient.

18. Bring a broadhead target so you can practice in camp out to 50 yds.
Got ya...Keep it at your spike camp like I do. Gotta park your truck somewhere...might as well have a spike camp so you can come back every 3-4 days for comfort. I would hate to do a 14 day hunt 7 miles back in with just a tarp to keep the rain away. No fires allowed most of the time back in, especiallydesignated wilderness areas, so once you cross the line where you park your truck, no fire.Temps get down to the 30's at night, 70's during the day..lots of gear and food for a man to live for 10 days;7 miles back in for a typical 10 day minimum hunt you will have a pack that weighs 70-100 lbs, depending on what you want. Water weighs 8 lbs to the gallon and there is a good chance there won't be any streams to drink out of.I even have a tent that weighs 2 lbs and a sleeping bag that weighs1 lb, but my pack still weighed 70# easy..it sucked. I have the Cabelas Alaskan outfitter frame pack too.How do you get all of the gear back in there 7 miles without a horse?Like I said, I did that one time..never again. I would rather have a comfortable spike camp and get up at 3:00 am and hike back in 7 miles and then lug a 70-100 lb pack up and down mountains. Too much work for me...but that is what makes the world go around..different strokes for different folks. I go to have a good time..and my idea of a good time isn't packing 70# on my back up and down mountains for 7 miles one way. Steve, you are heartier than me.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

11. Get a GPS and know how to use it...no way I would go out in the woods without one. In the midwest you can always walk out to a road or farmhouse..the big pines and aspens all look the same..easy to get lost

This one item is a must and i speak through experience , i relied on a compass and did not think for one minute that the iron in the Colorado mountains would effect its bearing .... How wrong i was . I spent the best part of 10hours roaming the Holy Cross Mountain Region , trying to locate my hunting Buddies who were trying to locate me . The Radio lostcontact as soon as i dropped overa ridge and i was panicing Bigtime . Luckily i found them , an hour before dark . Those aspen and pines all look the same when your lost , believe me it ain't fun . I will never hunt again without a GPS .

Quick Reply: DIY elk hunting tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.