Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is it ETHICAL(ha) to shoot does this late? >

Is it ETHICAL(ha) to shoot does this late?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it ETHICAL(ha) to shoot does this late?

Old 12-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Is it ETHICAL(ha) to shoot does this late?

Yep....a shooting the doe is a buck and a doe not born whether shot in Sept or Jan.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Do they (does) need taking whre you hunt?

If so....there is NEVER a bad time to take them. Let's say you took a doe in Sept. v. December. Didn't you kill those 2 potential buck fawns then, also?
I don't think so, because the does haven't been bred yet? In december they are pregnant and have the potential to have those future monster bucks in them. But in September they aren't preganant?

Am I right or wrong. I really dont know.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Dominant Buck

If Barack Obama's mother had died in a car crash at 10yrs old.......did the possibility of her giving birth to thefuture pres. elect die with her?

Of course it did.

Him being in the womb when she passed is of NO relevance.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

If Barack Obama's mother had died in a car crash at 10yrs old.......did the possibility of her giving birth to thefuture pres. elect die with her?

Of course it did.

Him being in the womb when she passed is of NO relevance.
Lovin the analogy there Jeff
Old 12-10-2008, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 1shotkill1993

Do they (does) need taking whre you hunt?

If so....there is NEVER a bad time to take them. Let's say you took a doe in Sept. v. December. Didn't you kill those 2 potential buck fawns then, also?
I don't think so, because the does haven't been bred yet? In december they are pregnant and have the potential to have those future monster bucks in them. But in September they aren't preganant?

Am I right or wrong. I really dont know.
Either way they wont produce fawns. If you shoot her when she is not pregnant, she wont produce fawns, if you shoot her when she is pregnant, she wont produce fawns. It's the same thing. Bottom line, no matter when you take a doe, she isn't going to produce fawns the next year.

Let's break this down......

You start out (hypothetically speaking) with 10 does at the beginning of season. Assuming all are bred, and none are shot, you have the potential to produce 20 fawns next year. 10x2=20

Ok let's say in September you take 3 does, the rest are bred and survive until next year and produce fawns 10-3=7does 7x2= 14 fawns next year

Ok let's say you wait until Dec or January to take the 3 does (all 10 are pregnant), the rest survive and give birth, so we have 10 does carrying 20 fawns we take 3 does, leaving 7 does, carrying 2 fawns each, still leaving us with 14 fawns next year.

Hope that made sense. Thats as simple as I could make it.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Not at all. GMMAT pretty much said it all.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

I think the warm fuzzy feel good about pregnant women crosses over to deer in late season with some people. They think more along the lines of "Omg Im killing a mom carrying babies"
Old 12-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

With crop damage permits, I'll shoot them up until about Mid march just as quickly as I'll shoot them on 15 September. Crop damage is crop damage. I won't shoot them for about 8 weeks after they give birth, but then I go right back at it since the fawns can/will survive on their own after that.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, It's ethical if you area needs management. Like my area, I need to thin out some does in my neck if the woods.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Is it ETHICAL(ha) to shoot does this late?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.