Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is it ETHICAL(ha) to shoot does this late? >

Is it ETHICAL(ha) to shoot does this late?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it ETHICAL(ha) to shoot does this late?

Old 12-09-2008, 07:03 PM

Default RE: Is it ETHICAL(ha) to shoot does this late?

Actually it is...shooting does carrying babies is part of population control...it is what we do as conservationist...it's sad, but needed.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

From my area, 5 bucks have been taken, and Im the only one out of the people that hunt it that has taken any does, and thats 3 of them. Im done with them as far as I can tell, I just dont see a ton of does to begin with...

5 bucks and 3 does..... I dont really know what to think about it. Right now, Im not seeing anything.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I REALLY NEED the meat... I'm shooting the first thing that walks. In the instance that they both walk by, I'll shoot the doe. As someone else mentioned, that deer isn't going to give birth if you shoot her on opening day or the last day.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

We have a doe gun season the on like December 28-30 in WV. So i leave it to the wildlife bioligists at the DNR to decide, lol
Old 12-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot them any time they are in season with the buck to doe ratio at over 10 to 1 and the neighboring town being overrun withdeer this is my duty as a hunter to help out the herd
Old 12-10-2008, 03:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Like others have said, you are killing 3 deer, 1 for sure, 2 more potential. Here is a pic of what I found in a doe I shot last year on Jan 15. Do not scroll down as it is graphic if you do not want to view. You can clearly see a doe and a buck.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:46 AM
Bartender

That there is pretty interesting pic Rick,
TY
Old 12-10-2008, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow. Very cool pic you got there Rick. That would definitely soften me up a bit.[&:].

But I think GMMAT nailed it.

I like hunting does in the early in late season. I like to try to harvest a doe in the early season to intensify the rut a bit, provide more food for yearling bucks and 1 year olds and its a different type of hunting in the early season that I love. I like hunting does in the late season because they are extremely pressured, smart and skittish. In fact the group of does I'll be hunting this late season have had my number the last two late seasons, with gun AND bow. Out of this doe group that consists of 8-10, I would say at least 5 of these does are 5 years old. I have worked my tail off trying to harvets one these deer durning the late season and I will view it as a great accomplishmen if I am blessed to do so this year.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

yes...

Old 12-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, very interesting pic. Doesn't change the subject, if you want to shoot it and it's legal, it's your choice. In this case ethics is a very personal descision. Even in the case of fawns, if legal, and if you want to eat a real tasty and tender venison meal, have at it. If you feel badly, don't . It's a personal choice. If you don't want to see the two fetuses pictured above, don't look for them. At this time of year they are easily overlooked.

Quick Reply: Is it ETHICAL(ha) to shoot does this late?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.