Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whats stopping you? >

Whats stopping you?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats stopping you?

Old 12-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Whats stopping you?

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I like to compare hunting mature bucks to playing a game of chess. I've read where others do so as well. When faced with having limited properties and/ or properties that are small in size, you have to make careful and calculated moves to get into position for a shot. This is even more evident when the deer know you are hunting them. I have found that they don't flee the county, but rather, they start out maneuvering you. they are the true masters of their land. It feels pretty god when you actually "win" one of the games.
Even though it's really not like playing chess at all.

But whatever.
Not literally, it's an analogy!

I'm not the only one to use this analogy. I've seen it in the "written word" in magazines more than a couple of times. Some people like the use of this analogy, some don't.....

But whatever.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I need to become a better hunter of big bucks. Very simple. I must learn and acquire knowledge every season. I truly believe I have done that every year, minus 1 or 2 over the past 17 years. Things are starting to come together, slowly but surely for me.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

I like to compare hunting mature bucks to playing a game of chess. I've read where others do so as well. When faced with having limited properties and/ or properties that are small in size, you have to make careful and calculated moves to get into position for a shot. This is even more evident when the deer know you are hunting them. I have found that they don't flee the county, but rather, they start out maneuvering you. they are the true masters of their land. It feels pretty god when you actually "win" one of the games.

But whatever.

I'm not the only one to use this analogy. I've seen it in the "written word" in magazines more than a couple of times. Some people like the use of this analogy, some don't.....

But whatever.
An analogy is refering to something with similarity in some way. How is bow hunting a whitetail similar to a game of chess?

Hunter makes a move.. deer makes a move? No.. he/she does not.. because he/she is not playing you.

And just because someone writes something in a magazine thats not correct.. doesn't mean it is correct. That's the difference between knowing and understanding.

I'm not in for a argument. But it is a poor analogy at best.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Site Buck Guru

But whatever.

But whatever.
An analogy is refering to something with similarity in some way. How is bow hunting a whitetail similar to a game of chess?

Hunter makes a move.. deer makes a move? No.. he/she does not.. because he/she is not playing you.

And just because someone writes something in a magazine thats not correct.. doesn't mean it is correct. That's the difference between knowing and understanding.

Duke,
In your eyes this may not be a good analogy, but in others it is. I believe it is. If I believed that you were the ultimate authority on what is or is not a good analogy, I might agree with you. But I don't.

We are both entitled to our own opinions, so please stop trying to criticize mine!
Old 12-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

But whatever.

But whatever.

Duke,
In your eyes this may not be a good analogy, but in others it is. I believe it is. If I believed that you were the ultimate authority on what is or is not a good analogy, I might agree with you. But I don't.

We are both entitled to our own opinions, so please stop trying to criticize mine!
Nobody's being critical of you here. Just asking why you find it a good analogy.. when it appears not to be.

You always act like the world either loves you or hates you. And they hate you if they disagree.. or if you see they do.

I'm just asking dude. Trying to figure out where you see the connection.

No harm is there.

But hey.. its your world holms.. I just live in it.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I copied this down when I said it a long time ago. I think it's absolutely true.

You show me a guy who consistently takes the best deer out of his woods.....and I'll show you a guy who could do that anywhere. If that "anywhere" were to be in a P&Y target rich environment......clear the walls to make room for the mounts.
Having said that....I neither have nor need an excuse.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Site Buck Guru

There's nothing to discuss here Duke. You have your opinion, I have mine....

Let it go Louie!
Old 12-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I copied this down when I said it a long time ago. I think it's absolutely true.

You show me a guy who consistently takes the best deer out of his woods.....and I'll show you a guy who could do that anywhere. If that "anywhere" were to be in a P&Y target rich environment......clear the walls to make room for the mounts.
Having said that....I neither have nor need an excuse.
Ditto!

The only difference in my 3.5 year olds that I'm taking and midwest 3.5 year olds is about 30" of antler due to soil, nutrition and more.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:31 PM

No excuses....I just can't get in the right spot....not knowledgable enough...need help.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's nothing to discuss here Duke. You have your opinion, I have mine....

Let it go Louie!
Okay.. I'll let it go.

Greg with an H.

Quick Reply: Whats stopping you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.