Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whats stopping you? >

Whats stopping you?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats stopping you?

Old 12-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats stopping you?

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I used to beleive many years ago that the "grass was always greener on the other side as well".

Used to blame luck.. and think of hunting whitetails as a game.. like chess.

One day I woke up. Like someone just through the switch on or slapped me across the face with a wooden spoon.

What I've learned was.. it's not where you hunt.. but how you hunt the land you are given that seperates those who do and those who don't.

There will always be great land out there. But it makes no difference if you are not on it. So get over it.. move on.. and get it done on what you got. And what you will get if you work for it.

The old cliche reads that "timing is everything". It holds especially true for us whitetail hunters. Learn what timing is on each piece of land you hunt through knowledge of the animal.

And don't look at it like a deer is playing against you. Like he is your equal. He is not. You have every advantage over him. You are earth's ultimate predator. Stop putting him on the same level.. and start making your own decisions through knowledge and observation. You are above him.. and it's no game to him. It's not like chess.

There's a WORLD of knowledge out there. Don't be so cynical towards those who have hunted and written about whitetail hunting for many years through our books and magazines. The written word holds powerful truth.. yet so many dismiss it simply cause they don't understand it. Words and ideas are too often lost in translation. Embrace what was written before you.. and you will open your mind to any entirely new way of thinking. And then you can seperate whats real and what is not.

As far as luck. Don't count on it. Prepare to make your own. Work for luck.. stop waiting for luck to work for you.

That is all I got.
Thats right.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I copied this down when I said it a long time ago. I think it's absolutely true.

You show me a guy who consistently takes the best deer out of his woods.....and I'll show you a guy who could do that anywhere. If that "anywhere" were to be in a P&Y target rich environment......clear the walls to make room for the mounts.
Having said that....I neither have nor need an excuse.
Jeff, I'm glad you don't live in big buck country, You would be making ALL of the top ten look bad.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, I didn't start this to be yet another pissing match about who's dick is bigger. This was about what obstacles you face and what you do to overcome it.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Guys, I didn't start this to be yet another pissing match about who's **** is bigger. This was about what obstacles you face and what you do to overcome it.
BBM....I wasn't part of the"match".....and the original question was "What's stopping you". I just said "Nothing". I have more obstacles than some.....and FAR less than others. I have never complained about the lands I hunt. I have no reason to.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:16 PM

Me.

I have good enough access, not great but not deerless either.
I have enough equipment, stands, etc.
I have enough time ( heck I hunted about 4-5 days a week on average for 2-3 months this year)
I have enough desire, trust me..I live and breathe hunting.

Honestly? I think its the knowledge factor. I'm not a Gomer hitting the woods, I just haven't got it down just yet. Had close calls with the type deer I am looking for, just haven't sealed the deal yet. Im hopi..er that's a bad word...working to change that for next season. Ill have more stands, they will all be in the woods...I won't hunt based on deer sign. I am going to put in the time, effort, etc..and flat out get it done. I'm calling it before 2009 even breaks, I will have a mature buck down with the bow next year.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing is stopping me, I have an OK location. Everyone and anyone has complete access to all of my hunting ground. I have the desire. I also have time, I spend 200 to 300 hours a year hunting and another 1000 hours a yearshed hunting, scouting, running game cams and mapping. I'm also very lucky though I feel I make my own luck sometimes.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GregH

There's nothing to discuss here Duke. You have your opinion, I have mine....

Let it go Louie!
Okay.. I'll let it go.

Greg with an H.
Thanks Doof.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's nothing to discuss here Duke. You have your opinion, I have mine....

Let it go Louie!
Okay.. I'll let it go.

Greg with an H.
Thanks Doof.
Uh-oh.. here we go again.

Big bad ole Greg with an H is gettin' all mad. Run for the hills everyone!

Talking with you Gregory is like a game of chess. Really.[8D]
Old 12-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Baiting kills me, I have done it all of my life, and is just about the only way I knew until the last 3 years. Since then, food plots have allowed me to take 2 decent bucks, not the largest in my woods, but decent enough to make me happy. they both score 98" and 102" respectivly. Once again, it goes back to me not knowing or accepting the change I need to become a successful white-tail hunter in my woods. I have obstacles to work against (thickness of woods, lack of ANY terrain, and overcrowding shoot everything gun hunters) but I also have advantages (explosive populations, plenty of land, and the ability to take pressure off of a section of land).

I have been bowhunting for the past 4 years, and I have yet to take a buck with the bow, doesnt make me a bad hunter (Mobow, for example, took 9 years, but I still have the up most respect for the guy when it comes to hunting and advice) I just dont know how to utilize the environment around me to the fullest advantage that I can give myself. I have learned more over these past 4 years than the previous 6 I gun hunted by far. I am semi-good at reading a rub-line now, and can expect and postion myself for the direction, but do not have patience to stay until 10 or 11 o clock. I know this costs me deer year after year. I actually set my buddy up on a nice deer this year, but I cant get one for my self. Inexperience is stopping me, period, I just have a lot more to learn.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Site Buck Guru

Not mad Doof, just playing along with your silly little games for a bit.

Talking with you Doof is like talking with a lobotomy recipient, really.[8D]

Quick Reply: Whats stopping you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.