Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whats stopping you? >

Whats stopping you?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats stopping you?

Old 12-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats stopping you?

ORIGINAL: Antler Eater

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels
As far as luck. Don't count on it. Prepare to make your own. Work for luck.. stop waiting for luck to work for you.

That is all I got.
Wow, I don't know how it could be said any better....
Huge compliment coming from you AE.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

The past 5 years I have done exactly what Duke is talking about above (good post BTW), and I have found that the very best bucks on my property that I can find through scouting, glassing, and talking with others in the area are bigger 2.5 year olds and nice 3.5 year olds. Are there odd sightings of a "big" buck that could be older, sure, but I'm not counting on hearsay for my hunting.

In the last 3 years I have shot bucks that would be in the top 10% for size on the properties that I hunt and have access to. So, to me, nothing is stopping me. I'm doing pretty damn well with what I've got.

If someone can come hunt with me on my properties and drag out P&Y bucks year after year I will bow to their hunting prowess. I don't believe that would happen though.

That doesn't mean that I am content either. I'm constantly looking for access to better properties that hold bigger bucks. When I get them I'll raise the bar to hunt the top 10% on those properties. Until then I'll keep working with what I've got.
Very well said and good points Bry. That's my philosophy on the lands I hunt. If you hold out for a P&Y buck every year on land that will produce .00001% of them, well........... you probably won't be killing many bucks. I believe that's part of my problems lately. I've become so dang picky sometimes I believe I'm hunting bucks that arent' there . Take the top 10% quality bucks you KNOW of and let that be the standard if you've decided to hunt big bucks.......JMO. If you happen to gain access to better land with bigger bucks (which I'm always trying to do) then up your standard accordingly.

After thinking about this I've decided my biggest fault is probably over hunting my main chunk of land especially early in the season. It's like a disease. I just can't keep my butt out of there. I vow to myself next year to not step foot in there until primetime!! Always too anxious to get that glimpse of the big buck you've been watching all summer. I'm really in there way too much early on. Hell on my way to my stand by November the deer and I are on first name basis. We exchange greetings on the way in and out. Next year I'm hunting my secondary lands a LOT more and easing my way into my best piece of property that holds the biggest bucks. I dont' care if I dont' see a deer for 2 weeks I will not hunt it at all. No reason for me to be in there as much as I have been other than my own lack of patience.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I used to beleive many years ago that the "grass was always greener on the other side as well".

Used to blame luck.. and think of hunting whitetails as a game.. like chess.

One day I woke up. Like someone just through the switch on or slapped me across the face with a wooden spoon.

What I've learned was.. it's not where you hunt.. but how you hunt the land you are given that seperates those who do and those who don't.

There will always be great land out there. But it makes no difference if you are not on it. So get over it.. move on.. and get it done on what you got. And what you will get if you work for it.

The old cliche reads that "timing is everything". It holds especially true for us whitetail hunters. Learn what timing is on each piece of land you hunt through knowledge of the animal.

And don't look at it like a deer is playing against you. Like he is your equal. He is not. You have every advantage over him. You are earth's ultimate predator. Stop putting him on the same level.. and start making your own decisions through knowledge and observation. You are above him.. and it's no game to him.

There's a WORLD of knowledge out there. Don't be so cynical towards those who have hunted and written about whitetail hunting for many years through our books and magazines. The written word holds powerful truth.. yet so many dismiss it simply cause they don't understand it. Words and ideas are too often lost in translation. Embrace what was written before you.. and you will open your mind to any entirely new way of thinking. And then you can seperate whats real and what is not.

As far as luck. Don't count on it. Prepare to make your own. Work for luck.. stop waiting for luck to work for you.

That is all I got.
All I could think of was the scene from Forrest Gump when he gives the speech in Washingtonand says

"That's all I have to say about the war in Vietnam" and the other guys says "You said it all man."

I feel like the other guy right now, great post Duke.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am still in the learning phase and have a lot to learn still, I need to go with my gut and not with my past experiences from now on.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

My goal to kill a big muture buck is one of many goals. I also havethe goal of killing a zebra, rhino, cape buffalo, sable tule elk, couse deer, woodland caribou,polar bear, grizzly bear, etc. I take the opportunity to accomplish a goal when the Good Lord allows. None of my goalssupersede my primary goal-"to have fun!"
Old 12-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Whats stopping you?
No excuses here. Simply put............ I suck!
You make me laugh...
Old 12-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Site Buck Guru

I really don'thave anything that stops me from achieving my goals except my own laziness. I'm not too lazy when it comes to hunting whitetails.

Since I live in or near a great location, have access and the desire, the big thing for me was time. For the last several years I've had the time and it pays.

I like to compare hunting mature bucks to playing a game of chess. I've read where others do so as well. When faced with having limited properties and/ or properties that are small in size, you have to make careful and calculated moves to get into position for a shot. This is even more evident when the deer know you are hunting them. I have found that they don't flee the county, but rather, they start out maneuvering you. they are the true masters of their land. It feels pretty god when you actually "win" one of the games.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

* Makes note. Learn to play chess.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to compare hunting mature bucks to playing a game of chess. I've read where others do so as well. When faced with having limited properties and/ or properties that are small in size, you have to make careful and calculated moves to get into position for a shot. This is even more evident when the deer know you are hunting them. I have found that they don't flee the county, but rather, they start out maneuvering you. they are the true masters of their land. It feels pretty god when you actually "win" one of the games.
Even though it's really not like playing chess at all.

But whatever.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have access to lands that hold big deer (ie: p&y candidates) so getting one here is like hitting the lottery.

That said, I still am not killing the biggest bucks on my lands consistently because I haven't done what I needed to do. No excuses. I have alot to improve on and need to devote more time and effort in order to step it up.

I guess I'm with NY... I suck too! [8D]

Quick Reply: Whats stopping you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.