Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Wind in Your Face Always? >

Wind in Your Face Always?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wind in Your Face Always?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Wind in Your Face Always?

LOL, LT....

Lisa's in IN, tonight....and I'm on drink No. 1.

I've had a fifth of Absloute in the freezer since last Christmas.

I guess I should have just answered "Yes" to your thread header question.

Good luck
Old 12-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

But its not always true. Factors like timing of the year (rut) and of course human pressure seem to be the largest factors I notice of them moving differently.
Please expound further on this according to your experience. I hunt land that is pretty much pressured from all 4 sides from mid Oct. to late Jan. What do the deer do differently under human pressure "regarding the wind"? I believe bucks are primarily using sight during the rut to pick up danger where I hunt, and scent for does. Is this your experience as well?

Thanks, LT
I can go on this subject for hours.

But the lord blessed me with two left fingers. I say fingers.. since its still how I type after all these years.[&:][>:]

Human pressure causes many factors to a bucks movement.. from what I've seen.

I once saw a buck dodge a old stand site of mine by going around it and getting downwind of it by more than 100 yards. And that stand hadn't been in that tree all year. But he seemed to know its place pretty well. And its possible I'm just over-using my observation skills.. but judging by his reactions and cautious behavior.. I think not. He knew it was once there.

Same thing when I see an older buck get into a heavy yote bedding area. They almost always go downwind of them to check them as well. Wind to the face.

What I'm saying is predator pressure of any kind tends to cause a more wind in the face approach to a certain area.. or at least through it. But again.. this is almost always in heavier cover.

Mind you.. these are older whitetail.. all at or above 3 or more years.

I hope this helps answer your Q.. LT.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

I think a problem some hunters have is they are expecting the same deer they see in the evening to return the very next morning using the same path. I don't pretend to know where everyone hunts but in my area its just not so most of the time. Example: unless its the peak rut I rarely see the same mature buck entering a feeding area in the afternoon/evening and returning the same route the next morning. Deer do have more than one bedding area!

Regarding the wind.....they can't always keep the wind in their face, many times its a crosswind but they will still try to use that to the best of their ability along with other senses. Regarding using their eyes, they do but deer do not have great eyesight, especially looking straight ahead.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:12 AM

Dan Infalt, who's trophy room is unsurpassed my most, and Myles Kellar, who's trophy room is unsurpassed by anyone alive, both have stated that the very best scenario to killing mature bucks is using the wind to trick the buck. In other words, you want the buck to THINK he has the wind in his favor. Basically they felt most mature bucks left the bedding areas with the wind in their face, or at the very least quartering into their face.

Dan Infalt stated that if the buck wants to go to point B but the wind is not in his face, the buck tended to wait closer to dark to move. If the wind was in his favor, he was more likely to exit the bedding during daylight hours.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Dominant Buck

DC....How do you set up on such a buck and still play the wind?