Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bambi Vs venison >

Bambi Vs venison

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bambi Vs venison

Old 04-05-2003, 09:41 AM

Default Bambi Vs venison

Do you think more people would be open to eating venison if Disney had never made the movie Bambi?

My wife made an excellent venison roast the other night and my 32 year old step daughter tried it and said it was delicious. As she was getting more my wife told her it was venison and she could not swallow the bite she had in her mouth. She said she just couldn' t do it because she thought of ' Bambi' .

I happen to think that calves are just as cute as fawns and they grow up to be our 1/4 pounder with cheese, give me a break!
Old 04-05-2003, 09:48 AM

Default RE: Bambi Vs venison

I dont think it has to do that much with the movie... but just the fact that people are very hypocritical. They can eat beef but not deer? i mean Cmon.. BS!
Old 04-05-2003, 02:31 PM

I run a meat market, and people just don' t like to think that their food was once a live animal

I get a kick out of " free range" animals being more humane. It' s only a way for some to feel beter about the food they eat.

As long as the package is clean, and not icky the food as o.k.

As long as I don' t know what it is, I' ll enjoy it.

Perception is reality, and if meat from the store, is just that, meat from the store, it' s fine. Venison, on the other hand, was a poor deer, that some ruthless killer shot for fun, well, thats another story.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife won' t watch me butcher a deer-if she does she can' t eat it.If I bring it in the house wrapped in freezer paper,she' s O.K. with eating it.Most people don' t put much thought as to where their dinner comes from.They walk in the supermarket and there' s ground beef,steaks,roasts all packaged nice and neat when a week ago,it was alive on somebod' y farm.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:47 PM

I know it is hard to fathom but my wife and her family are the same way. Few years back I made a meatloaf and both my sister in laws ate it until I told them it was venison and they stopped on that very bite. Last week we had burgers on the grill and I had my venison About half way through my wifes burger I ask her how she liked the deer and she stopped eating it and got another one off the plate. Then my son and I started on her and she would not eat any more and wouldn' t believe me when I told her that she was eating beef. I thought that it was great myself. It is all in there heads or maby they just like all the chemicals in the beef???????????????????
Old 04-05-2003, 10:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would say that the movie Bambi is associated with hunters. I can' t count how many times " I have been called a bambi killer" or other references to the movie.

I think the idea of eating wild live animals is foreign to some and they may feel guilty or bad for doing so. Also venison has a reputation for being gamey, tough and very different in taste and texture from beef. However hunters know this is simply not the case with proper trimming, care and preperation of the meat.

Just a mental block that some can' t overcome.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:50 PM

I think that the movie Bambi has everything to do with this stereotype I don' t think that Walt Disney had any intent on harming this sport when they came out with this movie but what they managed to do is to turn this animal into a real person one that talks , feels , thinks and hurts just like a human being and some people cannot differentiate between the two so when they think about eating or killing this animal they look at it more like a human then they do a wild animal
Old 04-06-2003, 05:57 AM

In my life, I have had several non-hunters that I have met comment on bambi when they find out I like to deer hunt. Luckily, most of their comments have been in a fun teasing type manner, but it has always bothered me that they refer to the " Bambi Syndrome"

I have found that most of these people come from the city or urban USA. I am fortunate that I was raised and now live in rural USA, where hunting is a way of life.

But, I have noticed whether it is deer, rabbit, squirrel, quail, or any other wild meat, some people just have a problem with eating it. Since it does not come from the store they are very cautious about eating wild meat. However, most of them that are willing to try it like it, but there are a few that say " it really tastes good but, I just cant eat it" .
Old 04-06-2003, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe I' m Lucky I.ve never seen The Movie Bambi. Think I' m gonna put my Camo on and Rent it and see whats the big Beef about. While the Grill is Preheating.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

It has always amazed me at the number of people who have commented about about how terrible it is to hunt those poor animals and how cruel we are as hunters for it. Yet those same people think nothing of buying chicken, beef, veal, turkey etc. I ask them if they eat meat. When they reply that they do, I ask them how much of a chance that the animal they are eating had to get away. How long did they sit out in 10 degree weather up in a treestand to put that roast on the table. Or if they thought that the guy at the slaughter house let a cow walk because he didn' t want to take that one that day. I tell them to go to the slaughter house and tell me how humane that death is. I usually say that I love the meat just like they do. They jsut pay someone to do their killing and butchering. I do mine myself, and have alot more respect for the animal than the slaughterhouse does.

Quick Reply: Bambi Vs venison

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.