Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I dumped the MUZ & held a bow tonight. >

I dumped the MUZ & held a bow tonight.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I dumped the MUZ & held a bow tonight.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I dumped the MUZ & held a bow tonight.

It's MUZ season and I decided to take a Magicman walk and track some deer in the snow today. I dressed light and walked about 3 miles today. I got on a track of about 7 deer and followed them to a known bedding area. I set down and played the wind after Icame up on a yearlingfeeding near a thicket..

It was 3PM and I held tight...I was P$$ED because I had a tent blind waiting with a muzzleloader and a buddy heater...[8D]As I started to shiver...I saw some red tail hawks..bluejays were thick..and had a cottontail sniff my boot

At 4:45 PMwhich is almost dark now in Mich...My 7 deer began to exit the bedding area...In full snow camo..I was one with the snow....Never seen.... they began to funnel out at about 30 yards...small doe, button, another button, a 3 pointer, and big MAMMA...she was the one I wanted...she was the only deer that looked me in the pupils...I had a broadside shot for about 3 seconds and she turned with her arse facing away...I never took the shot...

I learned something today. Magicman was right...I made a track...I set up...and I had deer.

It's 18 degrees in Michigan right now boys...I carried Columbian wool snow camo for a quiet draw..but the pulling was tough...

Old 12-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I dumped the MUZ & held a bow tonight.

A plan almost came together. Them cold temps are a bear. I'm getting to be a puss as I age. Your the man for sticking it out.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting like a caveman, I'm proud of you
Now you just have to grow some hair on your face[8D]
Old 12-07-2008, 04:20 AM

Sounds like a good hunt. This ain't bowhunting, but I had a good hunt yesterday too.I was in Ohio, .44 revolver in hand. Colder than a witches elbow, but I was loving it.

I posted up next to a big oak tree to keep the wind off of me a bit and give a little cover. It's a nice point of land that has bedding cover on it and more open woods along the edge. I sat tight for 5 hours before the elements dictated I move. Had three doe and a half rack 4 point come by. Let em all walk.

About 12:30 I snuck further down the point to warm up a bit and posted up again overlooking a big bottom that runs to the lake. Snow was falling and the visibility picked right once it started laying. Saw two more deer but couldn't tell what they were. I snuck down over the hill and had em dead to rights. Two doe. Never pulled the trigger.

At an hour before dark thirty, I snuck back to my original spot through the snow coved woods. Felt good to be stealthy. Right before quitting time a 4 point walks right in and gives me 20 yard shot. Crosshairs lined up, hammer back. I let him walk too.

Never left the woods yesterday. Did't see another hunter. Didn't kill a deer. Didn't matter. Had an awesome day.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome story!