Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A hunting story everyone can learn from. >

A hunting story everyone can learn from.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A hunting story everyone can learn from.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A hunting story everyone can learn from.

Good post Magic. I have been hunting a particular spot this year and have finally started to put some of the pieces together. I am a slow learner I believe. Well I started to think while on stand this morning and freezing....all of the deer I have seen have been walking to the south and west in the morning. Hmmmm. So I got down today at 9am and told myself I was going to find out where those deer were moving even if I bumped them. I would just chalk it up as knowledge gained. So I get down at 9 and start still hunting. At 9:15 I see two doe walking southwest but they get directly downwind of me and trot off after I was about 60 yards away.

I look out into the wide open and see "nothing" that would lead me to believe deer would bed in that area. I am talking a good 400-500 yard stretch down by a creek that was completely void of any real cover. As I round one of the hills I was walking I look down and see a 40 yard x 20 yard tiny patch of mountain laurel. I said to myself, "no way". As I close the distance on that little patch of cover, a dandy of a buck jump out with a doe and they sprint off. They were bedding on the south side of some big hills with a cold north wind blowing over them. Point of the story, you are right...sometimes some little treasures exist in places you would never think.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bowtech,

As time goes on you will learn to listen and read and read and read over again what some members on HNI say. Magicman (Todd) Is one of them members and friend that when he talks about bucks or just deer hunting In general I listen. If It don't make sense the 1st time, read It over again. If It still doesn't make sense read It again and keep reading It till It does. Kind of like what I said In my 1st sentence In this post. Don't get me wrong, It never hurts to ask either Bowtech like you did.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post magicman! There are a lot of times where them big boys are not always remote, rather right under our noses!
Old 12-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Good post Magic. I have been hunting a particular spot this year and have finally started to put some of the pieces together. I am a slow learner I believe. Well I started to think while on stand this morning and freezing....all of the deer I have seen have been walking to the south and west in the morning. Hmmmm. So I got down today at 9am and told myself I was going to find out where those deer were moving even if I bumped them. I would just chalk it up as knowledge gained. So I get down at 9 and start still hunting. At 9:15 I see two doe walking southwest but they get directly downwind of me and trot off after I was about 60 yards away.

I look out into the wide open and see "nothing" that would lead me to believe deer would bed in that area. I am talking a good 400-500 yard stretch down by a creek that was completely void of any real cover. As I round one of the hills I was walking I look down and see a 40 yard x 20 yard tiny patch of mountain laurel. I said to myself, "no way". As I close the distance on that little patch of cover, a dandy of a buck jump out with a doe and they sprint off. They were bedding on the south side of some big hills with a cold north wind blowing over them. Point of the story, you are right...sometimes some little treasures exist in places you would never think.
Virginia, did you read Troy's (shed33) post on what he learned this year? Very interesting! Even in a large woods his buck seems to have found a little safe bedding area and has been using it for at least a few years.

While fox trapping a different area there was a ditch in a field that had some high grass and a few small trees and brush. severaltimes I jumped the same 6 point buck form the same spot along that ditch.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Bartender

Todd sometimes you just can't win buddy, good post.

T
Old 12-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: peakrut

Todd sometimes you just can't win buddy, good post.

T
At least we have a good bartender. I'll have a Windsor sour please.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Old abandoned farm places are over looked allot by people. I'd pay close attention to them If I could hunt areas like them.
There was a story in one of the hunting magazines several years ago about the hardcore hunter. One thing the story mentioned was hunting scary old haunted abandoned farms. The author mentioned taking good bucks out of these areas because of low pressure and lack of huntability in most people's eyes. Todd is right when he mentions this being an unlikely bedding area and it is a great tip to isolate bucks that might go unseen by most hunters.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

I believe someone posted trail cam pics this summer of a few (3 or 4)very respectable bucks bedding inside an old run down farm building that was used to keep hay dry when it was in the field.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Site Buck Guru

One time I was pheasant hunting along some fence rows near a small cattail swamp. My dog, a GSP, ran off into a guy's brushy back yard and was pointing into a bush near a fire wood pile. I tried calling her back to no avail. Not even the magic swear words were working! [:-]As I angrily walked up to grab the dog, a huge buck jumped up out of the bush and took off! I almost had a heart attack. We were quite aways from the main woods which surprised me. I stood in the bucks bed and found that he had 360 degree viewing and could spot danger from any direction. Pretty smart, bedding in someones back yard while all the hunters were in the woods. That's when I started hunting fence rows and out of the way places.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Magic--I will look into that post from Shed--he has my respect, taking big deer from public land. Thank you.

And welcome back on this site, you bring a good wrinkle.

Quick Reply: A hunting story everyone can learn from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.