Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I'm sick right now. >

I'm sick right now.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I'm sick right now.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm sick right now.

I'm with RORY. I'd be a bit bummed but I'd go check him out and give the guy a hand shake.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

ORIGINAL: mondoman86

burniegeasily Did You not read My posts??? I didn't say I owned the deer. I like to manage the deer, and not shoot small ones. I hate that the hunters around Me shoot anything. I was also bummed that someone killed the big buck I've been after. You guys can't tell Me that You wouldn't be bummed if You were after a monster buck, and had hunted all year for it. Daylight to Dark for MONTHS. I mean for 3 or 4 days a week since the start of bow season. Then Your neighbor sits on His back porch, and shoots it running across a field without even really getting dressed in hunting clothes, and going into the woods.
You must not have read mine, take a look at it. And no, I wouldn't bummed out, I'd be the first to congratulate him.
I would be a little bummed, that's just the honest truth. But I would also be sincerely happy for the man who shot it.

I have been putting my buddy in stands where I have gotten pics of a beautiful 150" 10pt, HOPING that he would shoot him. I would just love to see how happy it would make him. That said, I wouldn't mind taking down "Mr. 150" (as we have named him) myself.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats to your neighbor
Old 12-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

I am fellow Ohion, as is Mondoman who started this thread. I have sat here and read alot of the gun hunting threads and just kept my mouth shut and have never replied. Until now. I feel that I have as much of a right to an opinion as anyone else does. Before I start, let me be emphatic about something. I am not trying to be an idiot and not trying to throw gas on the fire. I will take my time and try to choose my words very carefully, but also try and get the point of frustration that I feelacross.But alot of you guys that are jumping all over him are from differnt states, and the gun seasons may be carried out differently where you are, so you can't really understand the authors feelings, or others on here who sided with him. Believe me,the methods of gun hunting vary in different parts of the state of Ohio,so I know that they doin different parts of our country.
First off, I think maybe the way the author worded it is what caused the backlash. I know that when he started out by saying " I hate gun season", he put the first nail in his coffinhimself when it comes tomany of the members here whoboth gun hunt and bowhunt. I think the point that he was trying to convey was that he was really bummed out because he had hunted so hard for that paticular buck with hisbow, for so long, and then his neighbor barely walks out of his house and kills it with a gun.I understand what he meant. He spent alot of time and energy trying to get that buck. Sorry, but you can't argue that the effort level by the neighbor was any where nearhis. As stated, the neighbor had a right to shoot that buck also, but I understand his frustration,and let me explain why. Maybe you can understand a little more.
I live in NW Ohio, In Van Wert County, and have all my life. I am 44 now and have been hunting since I was old enough to walk out in the woods with my dad. After college I really became a hardcore bowhunter, just like alot of you. I have been very successful. It has been about 20 years now since I haven't filled my allotted archery tag ( or tags, depending on the DNR). I have killed several nice bucks also, but to me, every deer is a trophy because of the way that I hunt and the time and dedication thatI put into it.
We live in an area of the statethat is flat!! I mean FLAT!!No rolling hills here boys. It is flat, small woodlots, creeks and fencerows all located on small family owned farms. You may have permission to bowhunt a 5- 10 acre woods, and less that 250 yards away there may be another section or 2 that has other guys hunting it. We don't have 200-300 acre hardwood stands here. It isn't like it is in Southern Ohio. I am fortunate to have some small sections that only my buddy and I have permission to bowhunt ( more on that later). We work hard at our hunting. Lots of off season scouting, hanging stands, and then lots of hours on stand when the season comes in. It is great, and we love it!! Then thansgiving weekend comes and goes, and the following monday morning, everything changes.
Let me say one thing before I stsrt. I am in no way exxagerating what I will write. If you don't live here and see what happens during the next week, don't you dare sit at your compter and tell me that I am wrong.If you go and check out every post that I have ever written on this forum, you will never find one time that I was disrespectful or confrontational with anyoneon this site. Ever! But this is one time that I will stand my ground, and not let anyone heresay that I am lying, because I have witnessed the garbage that comes with slug law in this section of the state for way too manyyears that I care to remember. And I guarentee you that if you came here and interviewed the true sportsmenhunters in about a 4 county area here , everyone single one of them will attest to what happens here, and they all hate it equally.
I will say from the get go, that not all the shotgunners here are outlaws, but I will bet that 70-80% of them are.They are known as Heater Hunters, Road Warriors, Truck Hunters, Orange Army etc. etc.,along with some names that the mods would never let slip by!!
Ihave no problem whatsoever withthe guys who actuallygetout with a gun, in the woodsand actually hunt. It is the rest of them that ruin it. The truck cab boys. There is nothing sporting whatsoever about surrounding asmall woods with 5 0r 6 guys on every side, then sending another 4 or 5 through and then mowing down about every deer that runs out. And if one would happento slip through, well the guys behind them on the 4 wheelersor in the trucks ( last year one bunch was using kids on dirt bikes) will will run them down or turn them back. No Hunting signs and No Tresspassing signs mean nothing during this week. There are groups here that are known byspecific names that will start in one section, and then run every sections for miles, running through every woodsin their way, posted or not. You will see 5 deer run into a section, then 10 come out, then the next section the become 18 etc. Then the shooting starts. Kill what you can, throw them in the back of the trucks, hit the next section. And it goes on and on and on all day long. I work with a guy whoused to be a part of one of the most well known and notoriousgangs in our area.( I would love to list their full names, but I could proably get in trouble)He finally got appalled by the stuff that he tookpart in and went back to hunting alone. He told alot of us the stuff that these guys do.Keep in mind we have one game warden for the whole county. Theywould get a deer in a posted section, call in a bogus tresspassing report at the other end of the county, then when they heard him resond on the scanner, well, do their thing. All kinds of stuff like that. Take out little kids and use their tags. Actually leave deerlay that they killed because they weren't big enough. This happens alot. My uncle owns a small, about4 acre woods. I am the only one that can hunt it.3years ago a friend who live out near it called meand said that 2 truckoads of guyswent in it and he heard shooting and saw them throw at least three deer in the one truck. I went back there right away and found three places where dead deer hadbeen dragged out. What was worse was that they left a fawn laying behind. And it wasn't because they couldn't find it. There was at least 5 sets of bootprints where they stood around it and a couple of cigarrette butts beside it.
I could go on and on and on. but frankly my bloodpressure is high enough now.
So, let me be the first to add. " I HATE GUN LAW!!!! I don't hate the fact that they are hunting with guns. I have very good friends who hunt bow and gun. As amatter of fact, Monday after work I will be butchering a deer thatone of my best friends shot with a shotgun yesterday, andthis past wed. I butchered a reall nice 9 pt. that my daughters boyfriend shot with his muzzleloader on tues. But you know what. Theyactually sat out in the woods and shot deer that weren't run miles and miles. I was the first one to congratulate them and I am the guy butchering their deer.
But for theoutlaws around here who takepart in the fiasco every year,trust me, you couldn't have a deeper hate for anyone as I do for these guys. They have taken such a great thing and have made a ridicule of it. I can't count the times that Ihave had landowners tell me they would love to let me bowhunt their ground, but because of what they have experienced during gun season, they have shut off hunting completely.
I know a guy that moved here from Indiana a few years back. He loved slug hunting in Indiana and couldn't wait for his first slug season here. I kid you not, by noon on the second day, he said he would never slug hunt here again. He sat in his wifes grandpas woods, which had no hunting signs about every 30 yards on every side of the woods. He had 4 different groups run the woods while he was in it. Then one group came back the following day. He told the one group to get out, and the one guy told him he was awful mouthy when he was outgunned that much, and those signs don't mean s**t to them.Real nice,
Like I said. I can understand the original thought of this thread. I know alot of you guys love to gun hunt. Probably most of you are true sportsmen and do it the right way. Man, gun or bow, I can't stress to you enough that I have no problem with you at all. You kill a world record buck or a small doe, and you do it fair chase, I will be the first one to shake your hand, help drag your deer out and I 'll even butcher it for you. Get you deer the way I talked about earlier, well, I won't say any more.
Like I said before, I have never intended to disrespect, confront or put down anyone here. I know that sometimes things are written by an author one way, and it is taken a whole different way by the reader. That is why my wife hates e-mail and text messaging. I think that is the case here. The guys was trying to say that he worked real hard trying to reach certain goal, and the someone else just too the easy way to that goal. I get it. It happens here every year. These idiots poach bucks that guys have been hunting legally all year. That is very very frustrating as a sportsmen.Do you undertsand what I mean?
My Grandma was a full blooded Blackfeet indian, and she a real cool little plaque about not judging another member of the tribe until you have walked his path in his moccosins. So to me,I guess it is hard for someone to jump all over someone about what he feels due to his situation when you don't undertsnd it. Ican't undertsand the frustration that an die hard elk bowhunter feels during gun season in Colorado because I don't live it. He can't understand why I can hate the stuff that happens during gun season here if he has never seen it.
I can totally undertand what thethread starter was feeling and what he meant by it. Trust me, there are many, many, many bowhunters and guys who hunt the right way with their gun that know exactly what he feels.
Hopefully I made some sense. Like I said before, I am not trying to start a fight. But I know what I see year after year, every year, up here in my little hunting world during the Ohio gun season. And I will never, ever back down to anyone who argues the validity of what Ihave written or supports the stuff that I wrote about ( and honestly I haven't even scratched the surface,trust me).
I will say now, that I love this forum. I havemade some great forum friends here(I found out last year taht Greg E andI are long lost siamese twins who were seperated at birth and put in Predator Fall Brown diapers!!,) have had alot of laughs and have learned alot, and hopefully have also gave somegood insight and lessons myself. I try to be a good guy, a straight shooter, and stand up for my beliefs. I always try to see the other side and accept as much as my consience will alow. But there are just somethings thata man must standhis ground on, and this post brought one of those points to mind. I will not apologize for hating the the crap that I see and hear during the Ohio gun season. Never will, no matternow much anyone hates me for it.
Sorry it was so long, I didn't mean for it to be. I guess that big mug of coffee kicked in. Hope I didn't make any enimies. Not my intention. If you met me, I guarentee you I would treat you with respect, and if you did the same, we would be buddies and I would have you laughing till your sides ached, I am known for that. I won't get caught up in a mud slinging thread, so if you want to try that, don't even bother, Won't work. Ihave stated my opinion on what I have seen firsthand, so you will never be able to sway me on that subject.
Take care guys.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

agree'd Ohio gun season sucks
Old 12-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

proff, You seemed to get what I was talking about perfectly. I'm glad some of You understand where I was coming from. I know I might of worded the post a bit harsh, and I apologize for that. In all honesty though. I would rather have bow only around My area.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

I knew exactly where you were coming from. I remember years ago on this very forum, I am talking back when you didn't have a username and passord, when Mike Beatty killed the monster Beatty Buck down in Greene County. Someone posted the pic of it and then guys were commenting on it. I remember I posted congratulating him, and talked about the fact that it was about an 1 hour and a half from where I live. I remember I said that I was so glad that a bowhunter got him, and not , and I quote myself.. " Some road warrior slob during gun law who chased the deer 5 miles and shot it out of the back of a truck" Boy did that start a firestorm. Guys from everywhere who gun hunted thought I was lumping every single gun hunter to being a slob. I posted back apologizing, and trying to explain what it is like here in our section of the state during slug law. I gave example after example. The a few members from southern Ohio posted that I was full of crap , that I was greatly exxagerating how bad it was etc etc. Well, to my pleasant surprise, post starting coming in from all kinds of guys in this part of the state and some guys from Indiana who were backing me up and telling all the hooror stories that they had seen. There was even a guy from lower Michigan who was a truck driver who did alot of deliveries in NW Ohioand he went on and on about how ridiculous it was the way he saw huge groups og guys surrounding woods and chasing deer with vehicles. I was really glad that those guys all backed me up. I know that I received some apologies from a few of the guys.
I can truly undertsnd wher the guys who gun hunt from other states, and even other parts of Ohio, who don't do all this crap and actually hunt fair chase with a gun, get upset when they see people like me getting so upset. But they just don't realize how it is, because they don't do it that way and see that stuff going on. No different that if I hear someone going on and on about how bad bowhunters are because they find a gut shot deer that wasn't recovered. To them all bowhunters are bad. But if I find out that the person who they are complaining about is notorious for taking potshots at deer and wounds and loses alot of deer ( and yes there are bowhunters like that), well then I have to understand their frustration. So, I really undertsnd where you were coming from. I also understand why some of the guys got upset because of the way that you wrote it and how they read it. But I do know that there are alot of people that I know completetly understand the point you were making.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

proff im sorry to hear how they hunt where you are. they do much the same thing where i am from. but what you described and what the op described are 2 totally different things. the man didnt put in as much energy as the mop in harvesting this buck true enough, but he took the deer in a legal manner. the op has no right to be upset, maybe a little bummed. im sure i would be. but not upset.

and has been previously said, hunting is considered a privelege. without gun hunters, ,the chances of us being able to bowhunt are pretty slim, what with all the anti-hunting groups popping up. i am a gun hunter as well as a bow hunter, and i can honestly say that if i wasnt a gun hunter in the beggining i wouldnt be a hunter now. i love hunting in all its various ways, and for any body to look down on how i hunt is unexcusable. as long as it is legal and ethical then nobody should complain
Old 12-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

I'm with RORY. I'd be a bit bummed but I'd go check him out and give the guy a hand shake.

Then you obviously wouldn't be with Rory. He said he wouldn't be bummed.

Rory/MO

titleAndStar(6453,0,false,false,"","")
Life Member

[align=center][/align]

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: mondoman86

burniegeasily Did You not read My posts??? I didn't say I owned the deer. I like to manage the deer, and not shoot small ones. I hate that the hunters around Me shoot anything. I was also bummed that someone killed the big buck I've been after. You guys can't tell Me that You wouldn't be bummed if You were after a monster buck, and had hunted all year for it. Daylight to Dark for MONTHS. I mean for 3 or 4 days a week since the start of bow season. Then Your neighbor sits on His back porch, and shoots it running across a field without even really getting dressed in hunting clothes, and going into the woods.
[/blockquote]

You must not have read mine, take a look at it. And no, I wouldn't bummed out, I'd be the first to congratulate him.

I cannot believe you gave an opinion mondoman! What were you thinking!! You are obviously not very bright! I guess it was bad timing everybody was obviously having a bad day when you posted.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

haha I'll say. For real guys I wasn't upset persay that He killed the buck. Well I was bummed out, like I said. I did congratulate Him, even bought Him lunch. Truthfully though I thinkthe deer was illegal. ITHINK in Ohio You have to be atleast like 300 feet away from houses when hunting. If I would have been a d*** about it I would have called the gamewarden and said that, but I wasn't going to be like that. I was glad He got it. I would have been more glad if I had killed it. Yea though the gun Hunter around here do alot of wrong hunting. He doesn't do that, but still sitting on the back porch...kinda bad I guess. Sorry for stirring up controversy.

Quick Reply: I'm sick right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.