HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Is it really that much better?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/276854-really-much-better.html)

Vabowman 12-04-2008 04:58 PM

Is it really that much better??

Is it really that much better hunting in Iowa, ILL, and KS than the rest of the country..?? You read about it, you watch it, and you see the pics of guys on here...is it just that easy to go out there, given it's private land, all things being equal..is it just a better place to hunt??? I mean every state has some big bucks, the numbers might not be there, but the bucks are there...or is it that those states have more big deer, but as equally hard to kill as anywhere esle?? do those big bucks move more during day light?? do they move all day?? Im not trying to start a location thread....Im trying figure out if I can actually take something from a guy who hunts these states vs here in Va...is what he does going to be helpfu to me?? We have so many variables here in Va...deer hounds a year long in the woods, popuation of peope is crazy, land is soooo hard to come by, and it it's warmer longer....anyone ever hunted the midwest and the east that can tell me??

Ben / PA 12-04-2008 04:59 PM

RE: Is it really that much better??

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Is it really that much better hunting in Iowa, ILL, and KS than the rest of the country..?? You read about it, you watch it, and you see the pics of guys on here...is it just that easy to go out there, given it's private land, all things being equal..is it just a better place to hunt??? I mean every state has some big bucks, the numbers might not be there, but the bucks are there...or is it that those states have more big deer, but as equally hard to kill as anywhere esle?? do those big bucks move more during day light?? do they move all day?? Im not trying to start a location thread....Im trying figure out if I can actually take something from a guy who hunts these states vs here in Va...is what he does going to be helpfu to me?? We have so many variables here in Va...deer hounds a year long in the woods, popuation of peope is crazy, land is soooo hard to come by, and it it's warmer longer....anyone ever hunted the midwest and the east that can tell me??
Yes you are and yes it is.[8D]

GMMAT 12-04-2008 05:00 PM

Rob/Pa's hunted 27yrs in Pa and 9 days in IL.

Ask him!

SwampCollie 12-04-2008 05:05 PM

We need an exchange student program.

Landon I think we ought to adpot Duke Michaels for a season and see what he can do with the place. If he shoots three bookers before the hounds hit the woods then I guess we'll just have to accept the fact we suck at life and go back to bass fishing and duck hunting respectively.

Vabowman 12-04-2008 05:05 PM

Ben no Im not...Im completely satisfied with the bucks we have here, I have no reason to start a location thread...I just want to know how the deer act out there as opposed to here in Va, they are reluctant to move here most of the time...Most peope here kill deer right after light and just before dark, seldom do the deer move after 8 am or before 5 pm outside of the rut...

Rory/MO 12-04-2008 05:08 PM

Is it really that much better hunting in Iowa, ILL, and KS than the rest of the country..
There's no state in between all of those[:-]

Vabowman 12-04-2008 05:08 PM

I knew you were lurking SC, tonight's hunt actually spawned theis question.. I know you and I have taked recently about it, let's just here what they say..

Germ 12-04-2008 05:09 PM

No the UP of MI is the best. Shooting a 197'' Booner in the wilds of the UP is something speacial. Just ask this guy

Vabowman 12-04-2008 05:11 PM

Rory im just trying to see if the guys in those areas strugge to see deer ike we do here at times...PLEASE people do not spin this....I don't care where you hunt, I know a deer is sti a deer with senses, I want to know how the deer move out there and especiay big bucks...here it is very hard to see them most of the year without a push or hounds...

MichaelP 12-04-2008 05:12 PM

I think the hunting and all that comes with it has to do with the location of the location...within the state it's located in. A good family friend (also very wealthy) bought a very large chunk of land in Illinois. This man has some very impressive deer from GA and knows how to read land. He did kill some deer his first couple years up ther but it was not until he got the neighboring landowners on board with management that they really started seeing results. He has since slayed a few well over the 150 mark as well as the other 2 guys who went in on the land. When Ipick his brainabout this he tells me he thought he would just by in Illinois or Iowa and have BIG deer everwhere. He actually picked ILL because it is a closer drive and that is the only reason over Iowa. He said the entire state is basically a food plot so to speak but not every area has the deer you read about. I have not expierenced it myself, but I respect his opinion as he has done it for many years now. Think of how many members on this site actually live in the big buck states and how few pictures we see of big bucks. You will get no big buck envy from me becausae we have them here...just maybe a few inches less on the head. I love to see the big boys brought in by you guys from these states and respect every kill. I will say location does play a big role...The location of the hunter on a particular day is key. If you ain't there when he is nothing else matters.

Scott/IL 12-04-2008 05:14 PM

There definantly isn't one in every woodlot. I have hunted Illinois for 10 years now. It is nothing like what you see on T.V. in my woods. However, I'm in no way acting like it is worse or equal to some places in the southeast.

Most private land around here is even over hunted, and shotgun season is FILLED with hunters in nearly every ridge top. I'm not going to act like we don't have any big deer, because there are some absolute brutes taken from my area every year. However, I can't really relate to alot of the stories about the hunts that occur on mega managed lands and outfitters.

If you are able to own land and manage it how you wish, then yes you will be able to grow large deer, and probably kill a few. But from MY EXPERIENCE, I don't understand why people say hunting in Illinois is easy.

Jimimac 12-04-2008 05:15 PM

Location location location! :D

buttonbuckmaster 12-04-2008 05:15 PM

I've hunted 22 years in IL and killed one that will make book. I suck.:(

Matt / PA 12-04-2008 05:16 PM

I can only speak for PA and our 270,000 archers all trying to do the same thing while also dodging early RIFLE seasons, muzzleloader seasons, turkey and small game seasons, not to mention the thousands of "nature lovers" who find there way into your life via bike, horse or dog leash ...........all in a season that starts too late and ends too early in a state with too little agrigulture vs too much damaged big woods and the worlds highest concentration of posted signs.

I've hunted a mix of public and private land here in PA for 24 seasons nowon mostly private land and the PUBLIC land that I hunt in Illinois is better than any private land I've hunted in PA.:eek: The PRIVATE land I've hunted in Illinois makes it almost seem like a waste of time to hunt in PA .......PERIOD.
There is no comparison unless you have some absolute honey hole, family owned ,locked up, posted and patrolled private land here, and even if you do your neighbors are whacking every 5pt that sticks it's neck out.

Other than that I'd say that PAanyway is pretty similar to Iowa, Illinois, or Kansas.:D

Rory/MO 12-04-2008 05:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Rory im just trying to see if the guys in those areas strugge to see deer ike we do here at times...PLEASE people do not spin this....I don't care where you hunt, I know a deer is sti a deer with senses, I want to know how the deer move out there and especiay big bucks...here it is very hard to see them most of the year without a push or hounds...
Lol I know I was just messing. I'm sure those states have their "not so hot" counties too, just like I'm sure where ever you're comparing them to has. I know that's how it is here in Missouri. We have some KILLER deer counties, then we also have some total crap. The best counties are also the ones with the least amount of pressure, the most agriculture, etc. I'd love to hear on this thread from someone who has hunted one of the states you mentioned, and a not so well known deer state, and hear what they have to say.
Good thread IMO.

MichaelP 12-04-2008 05:17 PM

Now I can see your point Landon, my friend also tells us ILL has more gunshots in the short shotgun season than all of the three months he used to spend in a tree in GA. He states when this occurs the deer go "away" for awhile and come back when the winters force them to his plots.

Edcyclopedia 12-04-2008 05:17 PM

Well there are a few of these in southern NH
199 5/8 gross ~ 187 2/8 Net

He got this about 20-25 miles from my house, I just wish I knew from what tree!
And we have the world champion Boston Celtics playing during hunting season ;)

MN/Kyle 12-04-2008 05:18 PM

Certain PARTS of Certain STATES are better.

Not states in general.

Germ 12-04-2008 05:19 PM

Iowa season is perfect for bowhunters

Oct 1st through Nov 30th

Give me that season with MI location and I will put some big boys down!!!!!

Vabowman 12-04-2008 05:19 PM

very correct Michael...and again, no envy here brother, I love the pics from those places, and like I said, we have 200" deer here just not as many, and I will admit Im not good enough to get em, but they are here andalive, no excuses...My goal here is to see how they move more than anything...are more reluctant to move there or do they move more often during dayight...

magicman54494 12-04-2008 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Illinois Buck Hunter

There definantly isn't one in every woodlot. I have hunted Illinois for 10 years now. It is nothing like what you see on T.V. in my woods. However, I'm in no way acting like it is worse or equal to some places in the southeast.

Most private land around here is even over hunted, and shotgun season is FILLED with hunters in nearly every ridge top. I'm not going to act like we don't have any big deer, because there are some absolute brutes taken from my area every year. However, I can't really relate to alot of the stories about the hunts that occur on mega managed lands and outfitters.

If you are able to own land and manage it how you wish, then yes you will be able to grow large deer, and probably kill a few. But from MY EXPERIENCE, I don't understand why people say hunting in Illinois is easy.
So it isn't location, location, location. It's location, location, within a location.[8D]

hardcorehunter 12-04-2008 05:26 PM

Yep..IA, is always going to have big bucks. Food, cover, low pop of people and no gun season during the rut, plus no over the counter tags sold. MN and MO allow guns during the rut ansd over the counter tags sold. IA doesnt allow High powered rifles either....coincidenceMN and MOdon't have as big as bucks..yet geographically the same.I think not.

Too many hunters out east of the Mississippi IMO. Move west young man..low pop of people and big deer. Plus Obama is from IL..enough reason to leave that state.[8D]

TEmbry 12-04-2008 05:26 PM

My honest opinion? I think people's views are skewed.

A guy will hunt a state such as PA, NC, AL, FL, TN, KY,___(fill in the blank) and they get frustrated. They are hunting average hunting grounds like everyone else. Then said person will take a trip out of state, but here is the kicker...when they come to the promised lands to hunt, they don't hunt normal hunting grounds like the majority of hunters living there do....they go with a big wig outfitter who has access to 30,000 acres in the Golden Triangle of prime time land managed for huge bucks...and huge bucks they see. They go from hunting standard lands to hunting the mother load of all managed farms to hunt, and attribute the difference to state lines. They return to home state, and tell everyone how much people in IL, KS, IA, __, etc have it made, huge bucks behind every tree.

Are states in the midwest managed better than other areas? Possibly.
Do deer in the midwest naturally have bigger headgear on average and bigger body size than say a coastal VA, NC, or FL counterpart? Obviously.
But a Mature buck is a mature buck...If you can kill them in___ on NORMAL HUNTING LANDS (the kind of land you and I gain access to), then you can more than likely kill them in ____. Obviously each state will offer unique challenges, some being more difficult than others...but it is all relative.

Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I am not basing this off of anyone here (sort of), the post was spurred by someone I know personally who just got back from hunting Pike County IL, and how easy deer hunting is up there.:eek:

Vabowman 12-04-2008 05:26 PM

Please excuse my "L" button!! it's not doing so well... anyway, I know that there are more big bucks in those states than anywhere else...but what Im interested in is how the deer move...do they walk pretty much all day?? or most of the day?? here in Va they are just so stubborn!!!

TEmbry 12-04-2008 05:30 PM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Yep..IA, is always going to have big bucks. Food, cover, low pop of people and no gun season during the rut, plus no over the counter tags sold. MN and MO allow guns during the rut ansd over the counter tags sold..coincidence they don't have as big as bucks..yet geographically the same. I think not.

Too many hunters out east of the Mississippi IMO. Move west young man..low pop of people and big deer. Plus Obama is from IL..enough reason to leave that state.[8D]
Im confused, can you expound on how no hunting during the rut allows for bigger antler growth over a deer across the state line? Because guns aren't allowed during rut in IA, a 5.5 buck there has bigger headgear than a 5.5 deer across the line in MO or MN?

hardcorehunter 12-04-2008 05:31 PM

[:@]

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

Yep..IA, is always going to have big bucks. Food, cover, low pop of people and no gun season during the rut, plus no over the counter tags sold. MN and MO allow guns during the rut ansd over the counter tags sold..coincidence they don't have as big as bucks..yet geographically the same. I think not.

Im confused, can you expound on how no hunting during the rut allows for bigger antler growth over a deer across the state line? Because guns aren't allowed during rut in IA, a 5.5 buck there has bigger headgear than a 5.5 deer across the line in MO or MN?
Pretty simple..you want bucks to reach maturity..don't allow guns during the rut..bucks are thinking with the wrong head...you ever done that before.. I have. [:@]

Vabowman 12-04-2008 05:31 PM

good points guys...remember, Im trying to find out how those bucks and deer in general move compared to Va, Nc, etc....big bucks are hard no matter where, you can't kill what's not on the hoof in Va, Ill, IA, etc...do they move more there??

MichaelP 12-04-2008 05:31 PM

As I posted, our friend said the key is the short gun seasons to getting bigger deer, but when those seasons are in the deer act as they do here inGA. To me that means kill them at daylight and dark and catch a few up during the day. I am with Landon, I would like to hear from some one like silverflicker that has hunted here in the south and in the midwest as well. That is the only was to get a good assesment...someone who hunted both areas for a few years each.

Scott/IL 12-04-2008 05:32 PM

My honest opinion? I think people's views are skewed.

A guy will hunt a state such as PA, NC, AL, FL, TN, KY,___(fill in the blank) and they get frustrated. They are hunting average hunting grounds like everyone else. Then said person will take a trip out of state, but here is the kicker...when they come to the promised lands to hunt, they don't hunt normal hunting grounds like the majority of hunters living there do....they go with a big wig outfitter who has access to 30,000 acres in the Golden Triangle of prime time land managed for huge bucks...and huge bucks they see. They go from hunting standard lands to hunting the mother load of all managed farms to hunt, and attribute the difference to state lines. They return to home state, and tell everyone how much people in IL, KS, IA, __, etc have it made, huge bucks behind every tree.

Are states in the midwest managed better than other areas? Possibly.
Do deer in the midwest naturally have bigger headgear on average and bigger body size than say a coastal VA, NC, or FL counterpart? Obviously.
But a Mature buck is a mature buck...If you can kill them in___ on NORMAL HUNTING LANDS (the kind of land you and I gain access to), then you can more than likely kill them in ____. Obviously each state will offer unique challenges, some being more difficult than others...but it is all relative.

Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I am not basing this off of anyone here (sort of), the post was spurred by someone I know personally who just got back from hunting Pike County IL, and how easy deer hunting is up there.:eek:
PERFECT REPLY

Germ 12-04-2008 05:33 PM

Post from John Eberhart on the MI forum. He pretty much nails it IMO.

When you have over 300,000 bowhunters as we do(MI), and some large managed parcels of private land and leases as we do, there will always be some impressive bucks taken. But there is absolutely no way of comparing Michigan and our trophy buck numbers to those of other midwestern states with lower hunter densities. In most midwestern states every bowhunter can hunt areas where there are multiple mature bucks running in the area, that is definitely not the case here in Michigan.

I have been hunting state land and knock on door properties for 45 years and have seen less than 10 bucks in the field that would score over 150 inches gross. On my 10 out of state one week hunts, I have seen at least twice as many 150 plus inchers.

I have the latest entry numbers from the Pope & Young club for 2004:

State P&Y entries Bow Hunters

Wisconsin 506 249,644
Illinois 427 120,000
Iowa 227 47,100
Kansas 135 21,080
Michigan 70 310,000

The average score of the bucks from the other states are also 15 inches larger, because taking a P&Y qualifying buck in those states is just not a big deal.

We can't hold a candle to other states in terms of taking mature bucks. But there is no doubt that the ban on baiting along with many hunters over the past ten years practicing their version of QDM (most practice quality buck management not quality deer management) that we will continue to improve in the mature buck catagory. You also have to keep in mind that while we have so many hunters that there are still large areas of private property hunted by few where mature bucks are rather common.
What he miss though is MI has gotten worst the last ten years[8D]

TEmbry 12-04-2008 05:33 PM

[:@]

Pretty simple..you want bucks to reach maturity..don't allow guns during the rut..bucks are thinking with the wrong head...you uever done that before.. I have. [:@]
I gotcha. You are saying that it allows more bucks to reach maturity...not that they are bigger once there, correct? I agree on all accounts then.

Matt / PA 12-04-2008 05:35 PM

Not for this guy. LOL:D
I've said it many times, I hunt PUBLIC land in Illinois........by anybody's definition it's pretty standard ground, and it's so much better than any private ground I've hunted in PA in 24 seasons it's almost comical and depressing at the same time.
Then move to an even better piece of ground in Illinois in a better location, not outfitted but simply private like "jmbuckhunter's ground, and that gap gets even crazier.
And John tells me the land one county above him is that much better than HIS that isn't outfitted land either and you start to get an idea of the comparison from my eyes. ;):D

If I was turned loose on a $5000 Pike Co. week long hunt I would probably pass the hell out before I killed anything.:eek:

buttonbuckmaster 12-04-2008 05:37 PM

Matt, some of the biggest bucks in my area is killed on public ground. Near the corner of "Nice try and Fat Chance", you know the area.;)

Dammit Man!!!.........Shhhhhhhhhh :eek:[:-];):D

Germ 12-04-2008 05:38 PM

Matt I would spoon my self to death in Iowa:D

Here is a great stat, and i hunt some great ground in MI. I am truly blessed IMO. In 2007 in 1 sit I seen 3 mature bucks in KY. In two season in MI I have seen 2:D

Scott/IL 12-04-2008 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I've said it many times, I hunt PUBLIC land in Illinois........by anybody's definition it's pretty standard ground, and it's so much better than any private ground I've hunted in PA in 24 seasons it's almost comical and depressing at the same time.
Then move to an even better piece of ground in Illinois in a better location, not outfitted but simply private like "jmbuckhunter's ground, and that gap gets even crazier.
And John tells me the land one county above him is that much better than HIS that isn't outfitted land either and you start to get an idea of the comparison from my eyes. ;):D

If I was turned loose on a $5000 Pike Co. week long hunt I would probably pass the hell out before I killed anything.:eek:
Matt I hunt the same county as John, and let me say it is some great hunting. I have never been to PA, so I can't compare the 2 like you. The farm my family owns is considered overhunted for this area of Illinois. And let me tell you something about the county to the north that John talks about----you cross that Illinois River and it seems like a whole different deer hunting world over there.

TEmbry 12-04-2008 05:44 PM

LOL.

I'm not saying there aren't bigger deer. I'm not saying they aren't managed better by DNR (from what I hear, IL is a joke but IA is good? I Have no clue though). I was just stating how ALOT of guys have a skewed perception of those states. TV shows, guided hunts, all the hype, isn't representative of the whole state really.

But look at it this way Matt...how many years have you hunted IL? How many mature bucks have you taken? Which state was your biggest buck from? (I don't know these answers, not loaded questions)

I have a friend who regularly hunts KS though, and the stuff he tells blows my mind. Private and Public, never outfitted...knocking on doors and having friends there. He attributes it to less hunters, but more importantly..concentrated habitat (I think anyway) I'd love for him to get on here and give his take on this.

magicman54494 12-04-2008 05:45 PM

Matt do you think this is influenced by the # of big racked bucks on the surrounding private land? Do people hunting the public land in Il. pass on younger- smaller racked bucks because of the potential for something bigger? Do people hunting public land in PA. shoot the first buck they see because of the lack of potential?

TEmbry 12-04-2008 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Matt I would spoon my self to death in Iowa:D

Here is a great stat, and i hunt some great ground in MI. I am truly blessed IMO. In 2007 in 1 sit I seen 3 mature bucks in KY. In two season in MI I have seen 2:D
HEY!! There ain't no stinkin big bucks in KY, what are you smoking?[:'(] The MS and OH river act as barriers, good antlers and good management aren't allowed to cross.[>:]

Hunter_59 12-04-2008 05:48 PM

Va, I've never hunted deer in any other state besides Illinois, where I live but I've read many of the posts on this forum and realize we do have it good here. Big bucks do not, in general, walk around all day long looking for does, although in some areas I have seen this happen, especially close to bedding areas. I would say that the only reason hunting would be better here is the deer population. Naturally, in a northern state, the deer are bigger. Body size coincides with colder temperatures. If the management is correct, you will have a larger percentage of big bucks. Add to that, the entire state is row crops, corn, soybeans, along withclovers here and there.
If you decide to hunt here, don't expect to see a buck behind every tree. Realize, it is still hunting andlocation is a key. It may be difficult to access private ground, but usually if you knockon a few doors, bowhuntingaccess can begranted.Access during gun season is a little more of a problem though.
I would say the only reason it may bebetter, is thenumbers of deer you can pass up in anticipation of that big buck walking by.

Germ 12-04-2008 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

Matt, some of the biggest bucks in my area is killed on public ground. Near the corner of "Nice try and Fat Chance", you know the area.;)

Dammit Man!!!.........Shhhhhhhhhh :eek:[:-];):D
I already wrote it down and posted it on a MI forum. Get ready for the orange army from hell. Have you ever seen Army of Darkness, MI hunters are way worse[8D]