Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is it really that much better?? >

Is it really that much better??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it really that much better??

Old 12-04-2008, 04:58 PM

Default Is it really that much better??

Is it really that much better hunting in Iowa, ILL, and KS than the rest of the country..?? You read about it, you watch it, and you see the pics of guys on here...is it just that easy to go out there, given it's private land, all things being equal..is it just a better place to hunt??? I mean every state has some big bucks, the numbers might not be there, but the bucks are there...or is it that those states have more big deer, but as equally hard to kill as anywhere esle?? do those big bucks move more during day light?? do they move all day?? Im not trying to start a location thread....Im trying figure out if I can actually take something from a guy who hunts these states vs here in Va...is what he does going to be helpfu to me?? We have so many variables here in Va...deer hounds a year long in the woods, popuation of peope is crazy, land is soooo hard to come by, and it it's warmer longer....anyone ever hunted the midwest and the east that can tell me??
Old 12-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is it really that much better??

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Is it really that much better hunting in Iowa, ILL, and KS than the rest of the country..?? You read about it, you watch it, and you see the pics of guys on here...is it just that easy to go out there, given it's private land, all things being equal..is it just a better place to hunt??? I mean every state has some big bucks, the numbers might not be there, but the bucks are there...or is it that those states have more big deer, but as equally hard to kill as anywhere esle?? do those big bucks move more during day light?? do they move all day?? Im not trying to start a location thread....Im trying figure out if I can actually take something from a guy who hunts these states vs here in Va...is what he does going to be helpfu to me?? We have so many variables here in Va...deer hounds a year long in the woods, popuation of peope is crazy, land is soooo hard to come by, and it it's warmer longer....anyone ever hunted the midwest and the east that can tell me??
Yes you are and yes it is.[8D]
Old 12-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Rob/Pa's hunted 27yrs in Pa and 9 days in IL.

Ask him!
Old 12-04-2008, 05:05 PM

Ben no Im not...Im completely satisfied with the bucks we have here, I have no reason to start a location thread...I just want to know how the deer act out there as opposed to here in Va, they are reluctant to move here most of the time...Most peope here kill deer right after light and just before dark, seldom do the deer move after 8 am or before 5 pm outside of the rut...
Old 12-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

We need an exchange student program.

Landon I think we ought to adpot Duke Michaels for a season and see what he can do with the place. If he shoots three bookers before the hounds hit the woods then I guess we'll just have to accept the fact we suck at life and go back to bass fishing and duck hunting respectively.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is it really that much better hunting in Iowa, ILL, and KS than the rest of the country..
There's no state in between all of those[:-]
Old 12-04-2008, 05:08 PM

I knew you were lurking SC, tonight's hunt actually spawned theis question.. I know you and I have taked recently about it, let's just here what they say..
Old 12-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

No the UP of MI is the best. Shooting a 197'' Booner in the wilds of the UP is something speacial. Just ask this guy

Old 12-04-2008, 05:11 PM

Rory im just trying to see if the guys in those areas strugge to see deer ike we do here at times...PLEASE people do not spin this....I don't care where you hunt, I know a deer is sti a deer with senses, I want to know how the deer move out there and especiay big bucks...here it is very hard to see them most of the year without a push or hounds...
Old 12-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

I think the hunting and all that comes with it has to do with the location of the location...within the state it's located in. A good family friend (also very wealthy) bought a very large chunk of land in Illinois. This man has some very impressive deer from GA and knows how to read land. He did kill some deer his first couple years up ther but it was not until he got the neighboring landowners on board with management that they really started seeing results. He has since slayed a few well over the 150 mark as well as the other 2 guys who went in on the land. When Ipick his brainabout this he tells me he thought he would just by in Illinois or Iowa and have BIG deer everwhere. He actually picked ILL because it is a closer drive and that is the only reason over Iowa. He said the entire state is basically a food plot so to speak but not every area has the deer you read about. I have not expierenced it myself, but I respect his opinion as he has done it for many years now. Think of how many members on this site actually live in the big buck states and how few pictures we see of big bucks. You will get no big buck envy from me becausae we have them here...just maybe a few inches less on the head. I love to see the big boys brought in by you guys from these states and respect every kill. I will say location does play a big role...The location of the hunter on a particular day is key. If you ain't there when he is nothing else matters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.