Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 If you could change one thing...... >

If you could change one thing......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you could change one thing......

Old 12-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: If you could change one thing......

While I still have 'access' to an adjoining piece of property via farm lease through the farmer I hunt on.....set up a stand in a THICKfunnel between two fields leading from a buck bedding area to every other deer on the property. Was always scared it was too close to where they were bedding. On an aerial photo, it looks slam dunk.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have had a buck come to my snort wheeze call instead of following a doe away from me.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Less work.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure much else I could have done thus far. Other than maybe hanging on stand an hour more here and there.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me I guess it would have been keeping my word to myself of what I was going to harvest.

I did so good initially passing on a couple of small 8pt and a couple of small 6pt. I DON'T pass on legal deer. BB excluded of course. I also passed on does I didn't really need or want. I saw things by passing that I never see when the only thing on my mind is killing. Cool scape tending by buck and doe as well as chasing that left me laughing.

I however FAILED!!! Sighting were way down and in a weak moment I shot a small 6pt. I justified it by knowing I had a second tagand three doe tags so what the heck. Thwack!I WILL be stronger next year. Maybe

Please don't misunderstand. I am not caught up in QDM I just wanted to up the ante a bit.

STILL pleased as punch over my little deer so the season was a great one. I just have to ask most of my hunting buddies how they did.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I should have waited a week or to to go to Ohio.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I lost a buck on Halloween day. I made a shot I'm not ashamed of. I waited 5 hours to track. I searched 6 hours the initial day.....and called in a tracking dog and a fellow HNI'er to help on Saturday. I looked 9 hours on Saturday. I searched 9 more hours on Sunday to no avail.

I honestly was exhausted.

I don't know what I could have done differently....but I wish the outcome was different.....and I didn't stumble onto this guy 29 days later (I wish it had been immediate....or at least more timely).

That's the biggie.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

Well stand time wasn't something I was short on. I would like to have one encounter with a great buckback, and knowledge of a spot about 3 weeks sooner.
I would also like one other encounter back, still haven't seen that guy since he blew out with part of my arrow inhim.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

nothing really, i have not messed up any chances at bucks or missed any shots but i guess i wish i would have hunted new areas just to see whats out their
Old 12-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife and I never got to hunt together.. and we always hunt at least once together. She loves to just look at the animals.. I think she somehow gets more excited to see the male cardinals more than anything.

Now with the cold temps I'll never get her out. She's cold when its 70.[&:]

Quick Reply: If you could change one thing......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.