Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 October's Mini-Rut!!?? >

October's Mini-Rut!!??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

October's Mini-Rut!!??

Old 12-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: October's Mini-Rut!!??

ORIGINAL: Primetime/IL

As soon as a buck sheds its velvet, it is capable of breeding so to see chasing or any interest along those lines anytime in October is not suprising. As duke michaels has said, does actually come into a so called "estrous" a month before her real one, and I have heard that as well.

As far as the Lull goes, to me theres no set time of the lull, it doesnt have to happen at the end of october or beginning for that matter there are many factors that come into play when experiencing it. I think temperatures play the biggest part, some years when it so happens to be warmer around the end of october(which usually it does)of coarse you will see the greatest sign of it. October does also seem to have the greatest fluctuation of temps.
I think human pressure, if present, plays the biggest part in the Oct. lull.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:10 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

It is a biological fact that whitetail does come into their first "false" estrous cycle about a month (or more sometimes) before the real one.. so to speak.

Not to mention mother natures plan to stagger newborns over several weeks or months to ensure survival of the species.

What can I say.. I read alot.
But when we get into magazines and deadlines and trying to become the next great shocking writer...... just because we read it doesn't make it so or of enough significance to matter.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greg,

I read the same article and wondered the same thing. Your statement on human pressure is very true and can even slow the rut or make it nocturnal activity (as I experienced this year.)

Your chart on the average conception date was interesting because it shows approximately the 14th as the best date. PA recently did a study and came up with the same dates. So with that said, does that mean the Moon really has nothing to do with it?
Old 12-05-2008, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

It is a biological fact that whitetail does come into their first "false" estrous cycle about a month (or more sometimes) before the real one.. so to speak.

Not to mention mother natures plan to stagger newborns over several weeks or months to ensure survival of the species.

But when we get into magazines and deadlines and trying to become the next great shocking writer...... just because we read it doesn't make it so or of enough significance to matter.
Gimme a break.

Your like that old guy who thinks he knows everything and talks about how his generation was the greatest all the time.

Your generation probably wrote it.

And the mother nature part.. thats called common sense.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Bartender

SOB I will be 43 in april.[:@]

But I still have a mean fastball buddy. Remember thatthrow to 2nd base someone dropped because
they couldnt handle my throw while you were playing catcher due to injury.[:-] Next time he is getting
a knuckle curve.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oct 13th 2007 I watch Mr. Mass tend a doe in a bean field. He never left her, she moved over, he moved over.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Pops423

Greg,

I read the same article and wondered the same thing. Your statement on human pressure is very true and can even slow the rut or make it nocturnal activity (as I experienced this year.)

Your chart on the average conception date was interesting because it shows approximately the 14th as the best date. PA recently did a study and came up with the same dates. So with that said, does that mean the Moon really has nothing to do with it?
I'm still up in the air with what role the moon plays. I believe that the deer basically come into heat within 3-4 days of the same time every year. I do think that it can change some of their rutting activity to be later in the evening and into the night. This year I noticed that after November 7th, most of my sightings were during the last 15 minutes of shooting light.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Germ

Oct 13th 2007 I watch Mr. Mass tend a doe in a bean field. He never left her, she moved over, he moved over.
Not uncommon, Germ. I just don't think that that qualifies it as being a "Mini-rut". Do you have any idea how old the doe was?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Gimme a break.

Your like that old guy who thinks he knows everything and talks about how his generation was the greatest all the time.

Your generation probably wrote it.

And the mother nature part.. thats called common sense.
Who peed in your beer. What did I say that you find so offensive or is it just personnal. Where was I suggesting my generation is the best. You read a lot between the lines.

guy who thinks he knows everything and talks
I thought that was your line. The statement about meeting deadlines and there being a lot of info published that is simply NOT true is a fact. Others on here have expressed my same thoughts on this subject yet you felt a need to personnally attack me. Get over it.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Certainly it's possible for a small number of does to come into heat early, in fact mid October is really only a couple weeks away from prime time, so it's not that surprising.IMO - Generally the big buck appearances are rare that timeof year, but I suppose if they came across a hot doe..........

I agree that humans are largely responsible for any lulls in movement. Deer aren't nocternal by nature, humans have really made them that way.

As I like to say - you never know when and where lightning is going to strike...

Quick Reply: October's Mini-Rut!!??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.