Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 OHIO Guys please help !!! >

OHIO Guys please help !!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OHIO Guys please help !!!

Old 12-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default OHIO Guys please help !!!

I live in NC and have a lease in Ohio this year and am trying to decide when to go back. I have been two times so far. Oct 17-19 (not much action) and Nov 9-15 (rut going good but no buck on ground). My question is: does Ohio have a "second rut" in Dec or Jan ? I love bowhunting but am considering going back for the muzzleloading season on Dec 27. Just trying to figure the best odds at killing a nice deer post rut. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:19 AM

Default RE: OHIO Guys please help !!!

I am going to send the entire Muzzleloader season in the woods. My friend harvested this buck last year over food. The rut has cooled down and by the end of the season they are hitting the food. I will try to attach a pic of his buck.
JB
Old 12-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

The so called second rut is really hit or miss. If you can get near a hot doe there can be some great action, but that’s a gamble. The bucks aren’t out looking for does like they do during the normal rut. If you have a good food source to hunt, late season hunting can be the best hunting of the year if the weather is cold. Snow is an enormous help, but I don’t know anyone who can predict that. It’s really what works best for your schedule. Anytime can be good, but anytime could be dead as well. If it was me and I had a food source to hunt, I would pick mid-late January. But, I like hunting in the cold. Not everyone does.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

thanks guys....jb, if you were me and could only hunt a few more days, you think muzzleloading season would be best bet? like i said i love to bowhunt but i want to put a nice buck down and will be just as happy to do it with a muzzleloader. sounds like i may need to bring some corn and wait patiently. the lease had some cut corn fields in nov but i am not sure if they will be disced up by Dec 27 or not.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go during muzzleloader season if you are pressed for time and need to reach out and touch some things. I also dont mind bow hunting in January but I think for you the old smoke pole might be best!
Old 12-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

thanks mahoning....any more advice guys, i can use all the help i can get!!!
Old 12-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Every place is different. You need to be there to determine when your property comes into it. Sadly if there is one it is at the same time our now "second" weekend gun season is.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Find a hot food source, thats what im going to be doing.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

My daughter and I had a buck come in to 15 yards last year during the muzzleloader season. He was trailing two does closely. I actually heard him grunt and a few minutes later they came in. Unfortunatly she couldn't get the safety off.

So yeah I think if I had to choose that would be the time because you can reach out with the ML and maybe increase your odds.

Or you can let me go hunt it for you and I'll let you know for next year... LOL

Good luck!
Old 12-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Dominant Buck

I would go prerut to get there when more bucks are trolling and looking and not locked up with does. I'd go the first week in Nov or the last in Oct. Bucks are ready, does are not. I'd look at those two weeks and pick the one with the darkest moon. Too early the bucks are still grouped up and you all or nothing. Later they're spreading out and trolling... many more chances of being in the right place. I don't care if it's Ohio or wherever... I prefer that time to hunt. The rut is fantastic if you catch it.... but it can also be really frustrating as all patterns go to hell.

Quick Reply: OHIO Guys please help !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.