Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Respecting Deer

Old 12-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Respecting Deer

Wow that's a breath of fresh air Rybo. All of the extended talk of feeling and respect and honor for a dead animal got me wondering if I was on a hunting site......

I respect the deer by trying to kill it quickly. Period.

After that I make sure the meat it used because I would not want go through all of the process and have noting left from it to eat. It tasts good ya know.

I don't think I have ever put a deers tounge back in its mouth for a picture.....it's dead and I have the weapon I used to kill it proped up by it's dead body for the picture..........does it really matter?

Hell, I like to piss my brother off by stabbing his deer in the ribs when he has ithung or acting like Rocky and using it as a heavy bag as I sing the Rocky them song of course. ............[:-]

It's a dead animal and it's supposed to be fun.........
Old 12-04-2008, 08:03 AM

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

This is respect:

Damn that looks good!Esp that roast PM the recipe!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I respect his ability to stay alive and the measures he will take to do so. I believe he (thinks) more than most realize, and finally the amount of enjoyment I get each fall from persuing him makes it easy for me to give him his due.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:12 AM
bigcountry

Yea, I kinda find it disturbing to see some try to act like Tonto worshiping deer or any other animal killed. Its a freaky world

God put them here to eat. Bottom line for me. After a kill, I say a prayer, to thankGod for this opportunity, and drag him home and cut em up. Put the renderings in a garbage bag and take to the dump and call it a day. There is no ceremony, no hoopla, I am just glad to be able to enjoy the meat that God has given me. I do respect an old buck that has been able to outwit, outsmart, hunters for 6 seasons or more. I find that amazing. But this whole spirit world of animals is out there.

You want to see some disrespect, watch how alot of Amish or Mennonites work their horses and mules. They treat their animals as tools, and they use em until they die.

We have reached a time where people worships the beasts of the world but has little care for their fellow man. There is a philosopher, and apologist Ravi Zacharias that gave a great lecture about this on Christian radio the other day. He was traveling around Cambridge university in England and saw all these peta signs, and save the whales, and don't wear fur, and was just amazed how man has started worshiping the beasts.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ryan, are you talking about pictures where it looks like the hunter is about to breakout the Marvin Gaye CD?

Nothing wrong with respecting a deer. When it comes to hunting, most of my respect is reserved for other people- like not throwing deer on the roof of the SUV.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

After I put their tongues back in their mouth, put what antlers arent being mounted in a glass case in a room for all to admire, eat the intrials, and all of the other meat, make a buckskin coat, make a gun rack with it's feet/legs, and make abow stringwith the sinew, I dance around a fire and chant wonderful things to gods that dont exist and pray to the God that does exist and then offer my first born on a firey alter.

What is the so called stopping point of 'respect'. Is it clean kill? Making all efforts for arecovery? (obviously that much)

Is it making sure all of the meat is used?

Is it making sure all of the meat and some of the organs are used?

Is it making sure all of the meat and all of the organs are used as well as mounting the rack or not harvesting a buck at all if you are not?

I could go on with many combinations of meat usage, organ usage, skin useage, ect.... but you get the idea.

For me it is quick, clean kill, using the meat, POSSIBLY liver and maybe heart if I can get them without being messed up. Ive gotten to where I try not to take the smaller bucks, but sometimes it happens. Not for the purposes of thinking taking smaller bucksis unethical, but just in the hopes that they'll stay around and maybe one day be bigger thanmy biggest buck.

EDIT: and as un-Godly as I can be sometimes, I feel ashamed I forgot this part as I read over some previous posts that were made while I was typing....I say a small prayer and thank the Lord for the opportunity that he has given me. For some reason, that's when I feel closest to God...even when I go make it to church. lol
Old 12-04-2008, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree with Rybo on all points.

I also agree with these....."personally".

I respect his ability to stay alive and the measures he will take to do so.
That demeands respect (his will to survive).

God put them here to eat. Bottom line for me. After a kill, I say a prayer, to thankGod for this opportunity, and drag him home and cut em up.
Something I've started doing, too.....because I never take them for granted, anymore (the successful recovery of each one). After that.....it's meat for my freezer that I'm also thankful for.

You'll get no argument from me.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

When does one cross the line into the “creepy” realm? Some of the posts on here seem to put a deer so high up on a pedestal, I don’t know HOW the person who feels that way could bring themselves to actually killing it.

It’s one thing to strive to make a clean kill and put forth the effort to find a wounded animal…but this whole “honoring” and “respect” thing can get carried too far at times. It’s a dang deer people. It’s not a person, it’s not some magical creature. It’s a deer. All it knows is to eat, drink, breed & survive.

The deer doesn’t care which weapon killed it, its still dead either way. The deer doesn’t care if its head goes on a wall or the rack is pitched in a pile with 47 others. It doesn’t care if the person who shot it feels bad for doing so, or if they jump up and down like they scored the game winning touchdown in the super bowl.

WE seem to assign worth and value of what should happen after killing a deer. Why?

So in the spirit of long debatable threads…what say you?
Ryan ... I think I love you

This wins for the best post of 2008 IMO!!!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me, I respect the animal enough to be as well prepared as I can be...tuning my equipment, practicing, and making quick/clean kills. Once the deer is down, I thank the Lord, take some quality photos , and then the real work starts.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

I respect his ability to stay alive and the measures he will take to do so. I believe he (thinks) more than most realize, and finally the amount of enjoyment I get each fall from persuing him makes it easy for me to give him his due.

That's gospel!

I feel sorry for the people that get nothing more thana couple of meals and reduce a deer to nothing more than a piece of meat.

Of course the deer is not a person or a creature with mystical powers. But, as far as animals go, it is certainly a worthy adversary. I prefer if people "respect" the deer, even if it is over the top a bit. To me it is bettter than if they down play the animal as just another dumb deer. What's the fun in hunting one of those?

Killing a deer, for me is actually one of the low points of the hunt. I always feel a bit sad after I've killed one. The hunt and the thrill it gave me are the high points of my hunt, and that is the main reason I give the deer respect. The kill is the necessary evil that I continue to do because I too love venison (another reason for respect).

I feel that the person that shows respect for the animals that they hunt, has a greater appreciation of their hunting experience.

Quick Reply: Respecting Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.