Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 23 Days Later A Delaware Buck Story >

23 Days Later A Delaware Buck Story

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

23 Days Later A Delaware Buck Story

Old 12-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 23 Days Later A Delaware Buck Story

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

David:

By your definition....Matt/PA's '07buck was a lost deer....and not a recovered, bowkilled animal.

Right?
I don't know the story.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

If I can't eat it, it's a lost animal.
He couldn't eat it.

See my last post on the previous page, David. I'm interested in your response.....kind of.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:46 AM

The gentelman that buchered the deer keept it himself. He saw what the legs looked like when he cut it up and I also told him the story, so that was his choice to keep it not mine.

ORIGINAL: mez

The story, recoverey or non is irrelevant to me.

You should not have donated the meat however. The only way for the deer to die from an infection in the leg, is to first develop septicemia. That is a seeding of the blood stream with bacteria from the leg wound. When this happens the infection spreads to the brain and major organs causing a type of shock that kills the animal. The same bacteria would have also seeded the muscle tissue and this animal is not fit for human consumption.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Dominant Buck

If I can't eat it, it's a lost animal.
He couldn't eat it.
With that short version(which I'm suspecting is laced with a trap[8D]) I'd say exactly. It was a found animal not a bow kill I would be proud of. That short version I'd call it a bad hunt that failed. Now drop the other shoe and tell me what you left out.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Dominant Buck

It's irrelevant, apparently. You have a set in stone deifnition of what you deem "harvest-worthy". It didn't fit that definition.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Dominant Buck

David:

By your definition....Matt/PA's '07buck was a lost deer....and not a recovered, bowkilled animal.

Right?

I don't think I was necessarily slamming the hunter as much as the folks who want to say congrats on a great bow kill ... when it wasn't. When I mentioned the factI was slammed for being negative. Icall it being truthful. You the hunter just got caught in the middle of it. I'm sure you felt bad, but that was never discussed.Instead you posed with weapon and a tidy little "Picture you can be proud of". It just didn't ring right is all. This is not the first thread where someone has shot a deer, found it weeks later and everyone wants to annoit them as a great hunter who stuck to it until there was a conclusion. I don't see it that way, never have and never will. If I can't eat it, it's a lost animal. Hell, I've been jumped on harder for a shots some thought unethical that killed deer dead. I've been jumped on for being "disrespectful to the animal" I just killed because I didn't take a pretty picture. It depends what group you're associated with I guess. Some can do no wrong while others are only negative. Hmmm...

I found a deer I killed....weeks later....yet I never tried to "annoint myself" (nor did anyone else....and it's still in the forum for all to see....the thread)anything. I felt remorse when I lost him....and "joy" is not the emotion I would use to describewhen I found him. I found it "interesting" and I found it added closure to the mystery. I took NO pictures "I can be proud of".

I don't find your comments negative....except in the sense they're inflammatory and disrespectful to the people this has happened to. If you think I could have done something differently to assure a more speedy recovery of my buck....I'm all ears (seriously).
My God we had pages and pages of people telling you congrats, tag it, mount it, it's a bow kill etc. I don't think I imagined that. What I'm saying is people sure do have a lot of different opinions of what a successful hunt is. I wasn't on the scene, can't tell you what you could or couldn't have done better than possibly made a better shot. How am I suppose to know that through internet pages.

Why couldn't Matt eat the deer?
Old 12-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I never (nor did I hear anyone profess) said anythng about mine being a "successful hunt". The bar keeps moving with every post, it seems.

Matt's buck was recovered days after he shot it.....and the meat was not edible.

Greatest story in determination I've ever read, though (regarding a recovery).

My conversation with my GW lasted about ten minutes. After a while Chris just stopped and flat out asked me....

"Jeff....did you kill that deer"? "I mean....if I put you on the stand and asked you if in your heart you killed him....what would you say"?

I tagged the deer. I wouldn't pass judgement on someone else if they didn't. These situations are all different....and they all carry with them extenuating criteria. There is no set protocol....which I learned in this.

"I" followed my heart and my head. I tagged an animal I feel confident died at my hands.

No annointing. No hero photos. No bragging. No spent tags, unwarranted. I just couldn't shoot another one and feel right about it.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Banned

My gosh..the way you guys are carrying on one would think that someone lied to you..stole from your mother..and committed adultery on ya.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I never (nor did I hear anyone profess) said anythng about mine being a "successful hunt". The bar keeps moving with every post, it seems.

Matt's buck was recovered days after he shot it.....and the meat was not edible.

Greatest story in determination I've ever read, though (regarding a recovery).

My conversation with my GW lasted about ten minutes. After a while Chris just stopped and flat out asked me....

"Jeff....did you kill that deer"? "I mean....if I put you on the stand and asked you if in your heart you killed him....what would you say"?

I tagged the deer. I wouldn't pass judgement on someone else if they didn't. These situations are all different....and they all carry with them extenuating criteria. There is no set protocol....which I learned in this.

"I" followed my heart and my head. I tagged an animal I feel confident died at my hands.

No annointing. No hero photos. No bragging. No spent tags, unwarranted. I just couldn't shoot another one and feel right about it.
I didn't say you did, but others did. If the meat was spoiled, it wasn't a successful hunt. It was a found rottin' deer. That does happen.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Dominant Buck

We don't have to agree, David....and I do respect your view on this.

Don...I'm not carrying on. I might learn something (more) from David. I learned something last year through discussions like this. I learned that death by my arrow might not be the greatest comfort for a deer with a broken leg.

Quick Reply: 23 Days Later A Delaware Buck Story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.