Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 23 Days Later A Delaware Buck Story >

23 Days Later A Delaware Buck Story

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

23 Days Later A Delaware Buck Story

Old 12-04-2008, 03:00 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-04-2008, 05:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 23 Days Later A Delaware Buck Story

I never said I was the perfect hunter. I never said I didn't make a mistake or two along the way. However, I don't think it's right to get all "congrats on a great kill".. when it wasn't. I'm not the perfect hunter, but I don't run home, grab my bow and camera to pose with every road kill I come across either.[8D] Some of you people seem to be willing to accept anything for the almight horn or kill photo.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:32 AM

Man, you gotta love these forums as everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I could have posted this as a kill with no story but I chose to tell the truth and look what I get. Yeah I made a bad shot on the deer and if I could do it again I would wait for a better opportunity on the buck. Road Kill, Hit by a car, you call it what you want. I don’t care what you think. I was the one who could not sleep because I knew I hit this deer and could not find it. I looked for this deer everyday for three weeks with no trace of bone or blood. You think I feel good about wounding a deer and having it suffer for 23 days, NOT !! It is ashamed that this deer had to suffer, would you feel the same if it was a 70lbs. doe? Don’t worry, you did not and will not take this buck away from me because I am the one who made the bad shot, I am the one that will live with what I’ve done and deep down I can put this to rest. BTW, thanks to those of you that know and understand what I have gone through.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I knew this thread had the potential to get interesting, I’m actually kind of surprised that it hasn’t taken off even more.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Man, you gotta love these forums as everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I could have posted this as a kill with no story but I chose to tell the truth and look what I get. Yeah I made a bad shot on the deer and if I could do it again I would wait for a better opportunity on the buck. Road Kill, Hit by a car, you call it what you want. I don’t care what you think. I was the one who could not sleep because I knew I hit this deer and could not find it. I looked for this deer everyday for a week with no trace of bone or blood. You think I feel good about wounding a deer and having it suffer for 23 days, NOT !! It is ashamed that this deer had to suffer, would you feel the same if it was a 70lbs. doe? Don’t worry, you did not and will not take this buck away from me because I am the one who made the bad shot, I am the one that will live with what I’ve done and deep down I can put this to rest. BTW, thanks to those of you that know and understand what I have gone through.
Would you
Old 12-04-2008, 11:11 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

The story, recoverey or non is irrelevant to me.

You should not have donated the meat however. The only way for the deer to die from an infection in the leg, is to first develop septicemia. That is a seeding of the blood stream with bacteria from the leg wound. When this happens the infection spreads to the brain and major organs causing a type of shock that kills the animal. The same bacteria would have also seeded the muscle tissue and this animal is not fit for human consumption.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mez

The story, recoverey or non is irrelevant to me.

You should not have donated the meat however. The only way for the deer to die from an infection in the leg, is to first develop septicemia. That is a seeding of the blood stream with bacteria from the leg wound. When this happens the infection spreads to the brain and major organs causing a type of shock that kills the animal. The same bacteria would have also seeded the muscle tissue and this animal is not fit for human consumption.
This was my only concern as well.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't think I was necessarily slamming the hunter as much as the folks who want to say congrats on a great bow kill ... when it wasn't. When I mentioned the factI was slammed for being negative. Icall it being truthful. You the hunter just got caught in the middle of it. I'm sure you felt bad, but that was never discussed.Instead you posed with weapon and a tidy little "Picture you can be proud of". It just didn't ring right is all. This is not the first thread where someone has shot a deer, found it weeks later and everyone wants to annoit them as a great hunter who stuck to it until there was a conclusion. I don't see it that way, never have and never will. If I can't eat it, it's a lost animal. Hell, I've been jumped on harder for a shots some thought unethical that killed deer dead. I've been jumped on for being "disrespectful to the animal" I just killed because I didn't take a pretty picture. It depends what group you're associated with I guess. Some can do no wrong while others are only negative. Hmmm...
Old 12-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Dominant Buck

David:

By your definition....Matt/PA's '07buck was a lost deer....and not a recovered, bowkilled animal.

Right?

I don't think I was necessarily slamming the hunter as much as the folks who want to say congrats on a great bow kill ... when it wasn't. When I mentioned the factI was slammed for being negative. Icall it being truthful. You the hunter just got caught in the middle of it. I'm sure you felt bad, but that was never discussed.Instead you posed with weapon and a tidy little "Picture you can be proud of". It just didn't ring right is all. This is not the first thread where someone has shot a deer, found it weeks later and everyone wants to annoit them as a great hunter who stuck to it until there was a conclusion. I don't see it that way, never have and never will. If I can't eat it, it's a lost animal. Hell, I've been jumped on harder for a shots some thought unethical that killed deer dead. I've been jumped on for being "disrespectful to the animal" I just killed because I didn't take a pretty picture. It depends what group you're associated with I guess. Some can do no wrong while others are only negative. Hmmm...

I found a deer I killed....weeks later....yet I never tried to "annoint myself" (nor did anyone else....and it's still in the forum for all to see....the thread)anything. I felt remorse when I lost him....and "joy" is not the emotion I would use to describewhen I found him. I found it "interesting" and I found it added closure to the mystery. I took NO pictures "I can be proud of".

I don't find your comments negative....except in the sense they're inflammatory and disrespectful to the people this has happened to. If you think I could have done something differently to assure a more speedy recovery of my buck....I'm all ears (seriously).

Quick Reply: 23 Days Later A Delaware Buck Story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.