Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need help picking a week for spring turkey >

Need help picking a week for spring turkey

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need help picking a week for spring turkey

Old 12-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need help picking a week for spring turkey

I know nothing about when the best time is to hunt spring turkey. This will be my first year andI'm putting in an application for a spring permit. I'll be going after them with my Vectrix. The season runs from April 15 to May 24 all of which are divided into 5day blocks. Iwill only be grantedone block to huntif I even make the lottery. I must also place those 7 blocks in order of preference.Please help meout if you have a decent idea on when the best dates are for Wisconsin. Thanks.

Blocks:

A) 4/15 - 4/19

B) 4/22 - 4/26

C) 4/29 - 5/3

D) 5/6 - 5/10

E) 5/13 - 5/17

F) 5/20 - 5/24
Old 12-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need help picking a week for spring turkey

Always pick the first week, thats what I do. No bugs and hopefully no hot weather!!!!!!! Then you can go after leftover permits for the rest of the units!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 07:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

I know nothing about when the best time is to hunt spring turkey. This will be my first year andI'm putting in an application for a spring permit. I'll be going after them with my Vectrix. The season runs from April 15 to May 24 all of which are divided into 5day blocks. Iwill only be grantedone block to huntif I even make the lottery. I must also place those 7 blocks in order of preference.Please help meout if you have a decent idea on when the best dates are for Wisconsin. Thanks.

Blocks:

A) 4/15 - 4/19

B) 4/22 - 4/26

C) 4/29 - 5/3

D) 5/6 - 5/10

E) 5/13 - 5/17

F) 5/20 - 5/24
Granted I am alot more South than you, but you have them listed in my order of preference...the sooner the better for me. Less pressure...and like Joe said, less bugs and hot weather.

What is average weather for mid April up in WI?
Old 12-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gee, I don't know why I didn't just text you Joe. duh, ddd, LOL

What I wanted to ask too was when is it best to go after them as in when they're nesting, before, after? And when are those dates generally?
Old 12-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trevor, in mid April we can still see temps in the teens and a foot of snow. The average tho is prollyaround 40deg Fwith the last of the snow starting to fade.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

Trevor, in mid April we can still see temps in the teens and a foot of snow. The average tho is prollyaround 40deg Fwith the last of the snow starting to fade.
Oh dang..lol Mid april is 70 and sunny here...I am clueless then. Stick with what Joe tells you...not me. Also check out the turkey forum for the veterans from up north...they know their stuff. Might try PMing JW, i am pretty sure he is from MI or WI or somewhere up there.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hoyt, I'm in the same boat.

Our seasons are:

Dates:
April 15-19, April 20-24, April 25-29, April 30-May 4, May 5-9, May 10-14, May 15-21, May 22-28.

Last season I had C. This year I will try and get C or D. I've found they are most vocal, and ready to "rut" closer to the 1st of may. I hate season A if the weather is like what we've had the last couple years.

Season D would have been PERFECT last year.

C I was hunting in 3" of snow the first and second day[&:]Not good for working birds. They were Vocal, just not interested.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I've only bowhunted them for two seasons (30+ hunts).

What I've learned in my short time going after them here is......Opening day and the next couple days are good. They don't yet know they're being hunted.

After that.....(at least around here) I think the later the better. When the hens get on the nests.....the male birds are more apt to be wandering around looking for hens....instead of with them, already.

I think my chances increase....(after the first couple days of the season) when the hens go to nest.

Rookie advice.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

I've found they are most vocal, and ready to "rut" closer to the 1st of may.
If nobody disagrees with this I will start there as my first choice then work either way of it. meaning something like...

1)1st week of may
2)4th week of april
3) 2nd week of may
3) 3rd week of april
5) 3rd week ofmay
6) 2nd week of april
7) 4th week of may
Old 12-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I've only bowhunted them for two seasons (30+ hunts).

What I've learned in my short time going after them here is......Opening day and the next couple days are good. They don't yet know they're being hunted.

After that.....(at least around here) I think the later the better. When the hens get on the nests.....the male birds are more apt to be wandering around looking for hens....instead of with them, already.

I think my chances increase....(after the first couple days of the season) when the hens go to nest.

Rookie advice.
Rookie or not, it's what I'm looking for and is a couple worlds better than what I know which is ummmm... nothing.

Quick Reply: Need help picking a week for spring turkey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.