Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need help picking a week for spring turkey >

Need help picking a week for spring turkey

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need help picking a week for spring turkey

Old 12-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need help picking a week for spring turkey

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I've only bowhunted them for two seasons (30+ hunts).

What I've learned in my short time going after them here is......Opening day and the next couple days are good. They don't yet know they're being hunted.

After that.....(at least around here) I think the later the better. When the hens get on the nests.....the male birds are more apt to be wandering around looking for hens....instead of with them, already.

I think my chances increase....(after the first couple days of the season) when the hens go to nest.

Rookie advice.
You are totally right...

However, that is one HARD prediction to make (when the hens go to nest). Real hard. Especially when you are dealing with a 5 day slot.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Dominant Buck

How long are they on the nests, though?
Old 12-02-2008, 08:26 PM

It sure is nice to hunt in a season where you can go any day you want over a 3 week period.

What are the advantages of having the season broke up into so many blocks as they do in Wi and Mn?
Old 12-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

They aren't always on the nests, they will leave the nests to feed and water. They may even roost a ways away from the nest.

But I think the incubation is something like 20-30 days??
Old 12-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

What are the advantages of having the season broke up into so many blocks as they do in Wi and Mn?
There isn't one.

We can only shoot one bird too, I don't even get a fall season.

Sometimes I wonder if the MNDNR even steps foot outdoors. Our turkey population is BOOMING in our area. We at least deserve a fall season to whack a hen. There are too many of those[&:]
Old 12-02-2008, 08:29 PM

How long are they on the nests, though?
weeks. For alot of southern guys, for the entirity of the season. Going to nest, for me, is more of a waiting longer in the mornings tactic than time of year tactic. The hens usually hit nest from 9-11am....if a hunter waits it out, the gobblers are alone and a spike in activity can be noticed just before mid day after the hens hit nest and leave them on their own.

My week schedule this spring sucks. Class till 11AM every morning...BUT, this will allow me to hit the woods right as the gobblers are cruising on the lonesome as all hens are on nest. It will also help me break from the habit of those short morning hunts, leaving after the initial burst of activity after flydown when it gets slow around 8 or 9. I will be forced to hunt longer this way, and it may just pay off.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Dominant Buck

They may even roost a ways away from the nest.
If that's true....I'm learning something, here. Cool.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:31 PM

They may even roost a ways away from the nest.
If that's true....I'm learning something, here. Cool.
Oh absolutely. Ill put my truck on this, very common...Ive seen it with my own two eyes too many times. In my experience, alot of hens head to nest after an hour or two of feeding/breeding etcafter flydown.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like the first week because of less cover, you can spot them hopefully before they can spot you! I'm not one to sit in a blind, don't like wait around for them to come to me I go after them! I found that the earlier the better, less pressure from being hunted and can catch them with their guard down! The longer the into the season the harder it is to call them in, they heard it all by then and seen every decoy set up there is, pressured! Apply for the first week and we'll go after them together, I'm applying for unit 2, I hope to get a tag this year, I hope, I filled one last year so I might not get one this spring!!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing that will keep them AWAY from the nest are hot days.

They will feed, water, and spend quite some time at the dusting areas. I LOVE setting up on dusting areas.

Quick Reply: Need help picking a week for spring turkey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.