Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Am I really done? >

Am I really done?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Am I really done?

Old 12-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Am I really done?

If you need some help thinning out the herd, I'll be glad to help ya. Out of 8 sits last week I seen 3 deer. Granted I've killed 6, I can't buy a deer here in the last week. The orange army surrounds my properties and the deer are on edge.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Brandon....

PM me. You're welcome to come here. Are you free this weekend? Any weekdays? Just say the word.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vito1

First, kudos to you for donating the meat instead of wasting it. Can the person you give the deer to pay for processing? Seems like a small price for all that venison. The price for processing in my area averages about $60/deer. Not sure what it is by you. If I didn't/couldn't hunt, I would gladly pay the $60.

Is that all, i guess our butcher has a nice monopoly going because it is around 300 dollars to have one processed (he is the only one in the area). i process them my self it only takes around 4 hours to have him deboned and turned into various types of sausage and jerky.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well sir you just need yourself a meat grinder and a jerky gun, they will pay for themselves, and it never gets old!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I'm done, because I still have a cold and the season ends Sunday. Besides that, I have 2 in the freezer. More than I need. Last night our power went off for several hours. I started going into my panic mode about loosing it all.4 or 5 years ago we were without power in Maryland for 7 days and I did loose it all.
That's when it pays to have the generator off your bowfishin boat in the garage! I've already thought of that, if the need arises...I have plenty of power to keep the freezer nice and, well frozen.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: ksfowler

ORIGINAL: Vito1

First, kudos to you for donating the meat instead of wasting it. Can the person you give the deer to pay for processing? Seems like a small price for all that venison. The price for processing in my area averages about $60/deer. Not sure what it is by you. If I didn't/couldn't hunt, I would gladly pay the $60.

Is that all, i guess our butcher has a nice monopoly going because it is around 300 dollars to have one processed (he is the only one in the area). i process them my self it only takes around 4 hours to have him deboned and turned into various types of sausage and jerky.
$300?! Wow! My brother and I process all of our deer. I can't justify spending $60 and not have control over the cuts. I couldn't imagine someone paying $300 for processing. Does hewrap the cuts in gold?
Old 12-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya know, what I've started doing? I skin the deer and cut the meat off in the largest possible chunks that I can... then (because I don't have a meat slicer) out comes the electric filet knife. The big chunks turn into 1/4" thick strips and into the 24 hour marinade they go. From there they go into the dehydrater ($20 at Wal Mart) 5 hours later I have jerky. 40lbs of meat yields about 10lbs of jerky, it's much easier to store and you can even eat in the turkey blind
Old 12-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can't imagine taking a critter that I killed to someone else to prepare so I could eat it...

All men need to know how to skin and butcher game...They also need to know how to cook it...

btw...If you are out of freezer space, there is always canning...

Old 12-01-2008, 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Dubbya

Ya know, what I've started doing? I skin the deer and cut the meat off in the largest possible chunks that I can... then (because I don't have a meat slicer) out comes the electric filet knife. The big chunks turn into 1/4" thick strips and into the 24 hour marinade they go. From there they go into the dehydrater ($20 at Wal Mart) 5 hours later I have jerky. 40lbs of meat yields about 10lbs of jerky, it's much easier to store and you can even eat in the turkey blind
every ounce of meat I cut from my two deer this year besides the tenderloins and backstraps....went to jerky. I used a buddy's slicer and froze the slices though, haven't got around to marinating and dehyrdrating yet.

He put in 41 lbs and took out 8.something...so he said. That amazed me.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: Dubbya

every ounce of meat I cut from my two deer this year besides the tenderloins and backstraps....went to jerky. I used a buddy's slicer and froze the slices though, haven't got around to marinating and dehyrdrating yet.

He put in 41 lbs and took out 8.something...so he said. That amazed me.
I love it... he's probably pretty close. It depends a lot on just dry you like it, if you like it a little moist... then you get more jerky per pound

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.