Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what is the best release >

what is the best release

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what is the best release

Old 12-01-2008, 01:29 AM
Spike

Default what is the best release

I hurt my should in mid oct. while practicing.I was limited for about 2 weeks of only about 2-6 arrows. Now my shoulder feels completely healed and is pain free but I am flinching something fierce! A good friend told me to get a back tension release and other people have told me that would be a huge mistake for bowhunting. I shot fingers for years followed by the Winn free flight release. I have shot a tru ball wrist strap for about 10 years now and was in the market for a new one befroe the season every began. I need to get everyones 2 cents worth on this one.

Thanks, shaner72
Old 12-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: what is the best release

The best finger release won't heal your flinching and I'm not sure it exists. I shoot a Truball Copperhead and if I were to buy a new one, I'd get a Scott Wildcat I believe.

That said, you need to blank bail and work strictly on your release form. Get up close to your target so you can't miss with your eyes shut and shut your eyes and work on your release.

You need to then trust your float and squeeze the trigger using everything you've learned while blank bailing.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what is the best release

Don't know how you have it adjusted but try to get it fitted so the trigger is between the first and second joint of the finger when you are at full draw. So many guys shoot with the tip of their finger and this is incorrect as that part of the finger is too sensitive. Another choice is to use the middle finger. This is a completely different feel.

What you are experiencing is a form of target panic. The sooner you admit that to yourself the better. You should never even think about releasing. Concentrate on just aiming the bow. Aim the bow, aim the bow, aim the bow. You have to tell yourself this for every shot. Just let the release happen.

If this fails then possibly a back tension release is in the cards. They can be used for hunting, but I would not recommend it unless you have shot one for a long long time. I've done it, but that was after shooting one for 15 years. They are a good release style for addressing target panic issues.