Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is it really an advantage, 65lb limbs? >

Is it really an advantage, 65lb limbs?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it really an advantage, 65lb limbs?

Old 11-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is it really an advantage, 65lb limbs?

Ok.. I'm going to buy a new bow.. I have been shooting the DXT and the Reezin.. I like the DXT a little better but it's pretty short. I think the Reezin has a lot of shock in the bow, plus I'm not a huge speed freak..

Anyway, they are offering this year a 65 lb max draw weight. I shoot 65 lbs and if I buy a 70 lb bow I'll back it down to 65 lbs.. So I had considered the 65 lb limbs..

But what is the deal with that.. 65 lbs is 65 lbs no matter how ya get there right? Is there really an advantage one over the other? Someone told me more efficient but how?
Old 11-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Is it really an advantage, 65lb limbs?

I'm no techie, but I believe as the limbs are more toward the peak weight, you'll gain better performance than a 70 lb. bow dropped to 65. Martin used to offer this and I loved it. Wish more manufacturers offered this option.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

At peak weight everything is cinched down tight and the bow should performmost efficiently, quietlyand transfer energy best. With that said: I don't think you lose all that much operating efficiency or that much in the energy transfer (depending on the arrow weight) having a 70 backed down to 65. I like the versatility of having a 10+ pound range to adjust in for using different arrow setups but that is not necessarily for everyone.

EDIT: If you use the same arrow setup most, or all, of the time then the 65# bow would probably be the way to go.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

True a bow is more efficient with the limbs bottomed out and this leads to greater arrow speed with a given arrow weight. In your case5# will be barely perceptable. You can gain maybe 1 or 2 fps shooting the 65# version vs the 70# backed off. Very little to worry about. I would recommend you get whichever you want.

The only thing that I would take into consideration is that it would be better with the 65# bow if you were to want to back off a little more at some time. Maybe as you get older or maybe some shoulder or neck injury.