Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I think I just found my Halloween buck! >

I think I just found my Halloween buck!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I think I just found my Halloween buck!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I think I just found my Halloween buck!

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I would do a euro on the antlers and tell the story as it happened.
Hey Kevin.....that's logical. Thanks.

_Dan.....I think he's mine, too (or...the one I shot).

I won't likely ever know, though.

I can see the ehtics police reigning down if I took another buck, though. Call me a skeptic.

You know what I would tell the ethics police.[8D]
Old 11-30-2008, 11:23 AM

I'd like to put some closure to this.
Dan.....I think he's mine, too (or...the one I shot).
There is your answer. It only matters what YOU think/feel. Logic points to this being your deer. So does your gut instinct. If you do keep it, I too would tag it and move on...chalk it up to one successful season. If you don't keep it, go thwack another. Don't fear the ethics police eitherway.

I do have a question though, did the wound appear to be a gaping Rage gash wound?
Old 11-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Dominant Buck

The wound appeared to be about a 3" gash. I could easily see it as a rage 2 blade wound. I tried sticking my knife down in it....but it honestly wouldn't go down in there, freely. I had to push a little to get it to go.

Just being honest.

Whether decomposurere had anything to do with this....I don't know. No expert.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:28 AM

You inserted the can of worms into the openerwhen you asked what the correct protocol is.
Why is it a can of worms? It's an honest question.
The can of worms comes from this. You brought up the question of what the correct protocol is in this situation. Do you tag it or not was your concern. Then afterwards you became concerned about potential ethical issues should you decide not to tag. At least that's how I read it. Combining those two concerns it looks to me like a can of worms is all I was saying, since this is a public forum.

I really don't care one way or the other what you do. Only you know if that deer is yours or not and only you can decide what the corrrect course of action is. It doesn't affect me either way.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Dominant Buck

I think the issue (if there is one) comes in whether or not I claim this deer as mine. How can I keep hunting for bucks if I claim I've taken two (the limit, here)?

That's my dilemma. If I killed it.....and I claim it.....I'm gonna tag it (unless someone tells me a legitimate reason why I shouldn't....AND why it's OK to keep hunting for a buck. I just don't see it being a choice (to keep hunting AND claim this deer as a bowkill).
Old 11-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

That really blows Jeff, but at least you're gonna get the facts if it is him.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I look at it as you didn't take two, even if it's the one you shot. It got away, died, spoiled and you didn't recover it. Oh sure, you found the bones weeks later, but you lost this deer if it's yours. If the coyotes had been on the job you probably wouldn't have found anything. To me it's just like the biggest fish that always seems to get away. I don't care if he swallows the hook and dies, you didn't get him. And like I say, as far as keeping the rack, that becomes a legal thing state by state.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Would there be any difference if you found the buck in a couple more months when the season is over and you are not able to tag him? I say just do a nice euro mount and forget about the tag!!
Old 11-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, I should have read the whole thread[&:]. Jeff, if I were you, and you are almost certain it's your buck (it seems to me like you are), I'd be tagging him, and hanging up the bow, or getting some more does for meat. That's just what I would do, and feel the right thing to do is. Let us know what you end up doing.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Would there be any difference if you found the buck in a couple more months when the season is over and you are not able to tag him? I say just do a nice euro mount and forget about the tag!!
No....There wouldn't. I just had a phone conversation with Rob and I'm gonna euro mount him (after talking to Chris....my GW) and keep hunting.

I appreciate everyone's honest opinions. I'll clear my intentions with my GW and move on.

Quick Reply: I think I just found my Halloween buck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.