HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   I think I just found my Halloween buck! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/276089-i-think-i-just-found-my-halloween-buck.html)

GMMAT 11-30-2008 09:31 AM

I think I just found my Halloween buck!

OMG.....I told Duke I was gonna walk into an area I'd never been in, today......and I walked up on a dead buck, 8-pointer....wound on the right side....dead.

He looks like he's the one....but I'm a "little" perplexed by only ONE thing. He doesn't seem to have decomposed as much as I would think in a month. His eyes are gone....face is sunken.....and hes really deflated. But he's not eaten up by anything. I don't know what to think....unless he lived for a while until he expired.

I'm going to get him.....and as much as I hate it....I'm gonna take a knife and see if my BH is inside.

If it's him....I'm still sorry it's worked out this way....but I'll be happy that I can finally give him his proper due.

Look at this photo. White line is the blood trail after I shot him. I found him in the thicket right behind where I shot him. With where he'd gone on the blood trail....I never dreamed to look, there (see X where I found him).

kwilson16 11-30-2008 09:34 AM

RE: I think I just found my Halloween buck!

ORIGINAL: GMMAT
I'm gonna take a knife and see if my BH is inside.
As disgusting as it sounds, I would have to know too.

There is no picture in thepost.

MdDave 11-30-2008 09:39 AM

i wouldnt wanna smell that when you startin cuttin away.. shew weeee....

bigcountry 11-30-2008 09:40 AM

I can't see a deer going back to where he was hit to find comfort before he dies. But like you, I would just have ta know.

Rob/PA Bowyer 11-30-2008 09:41 AM

If it is him, he lived for a while and returned to his bedding area where you shot him. Is that possible? Also, if it is him, a description again of the shot and the actual impact etc...if you find your broadhead will be a learning tool. Interesting and there is two sides to look at, 1. I hope it's not him and the possibility of yours being alive and 2. It is him and you have some, although sad, closure.

I'll watch for updates.

MEhuntalot 11-30-2008 09:47 AM

ORIGINAL: kwilson16

Have a metal detector to check for metal in him before you dig in?

...If not, bring gloves! ;)

bloodcrick 11-30-2008 09:49 AM

Jeff im betting it is him. Id say he was alright for awhile and returned to where he felt safe, his bedding area.

MdDave 11-30-2008 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: MEhuntalot

ORIGINAL: kwilson16

Have a metal detector to check for metal in him before you dig in?

...If not, bring gloves! ;)
thats one good idea! i would never thought about that!!!

Oneshot7 11-30-2008 09:58 AM

Id bet that is him, at least you will know for sure. Some closure is better than no closure

gri22ly 11-30-2008 10:04 AM

A wounded animal willalways try togo home, if they can make it.