Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Leaf blower on an oak flat? >

Leaf blower on an oak flat?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Leaf blower on an oak flat?

Old 11-28-2008, 01:17 PM

Default RE: Leaf blower on an oak flat?

ORIGINAL: Matt/TN

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

Why not just bring in a bucket from your yard and dump em out? Would be much quieter than a leaf blower in a prime hunting spot. Power equipment goes nowhere near my stands, but to each his own.
I believedumping a bucket full of carried-in acorns would be baiting while uncovering existing acorns would not. That being said, I agree that with the nose of a deer they'll find them leaves or no leaves.
Ok, I'll bite.

For one, baiting is legal.

For two, how in the WORLD can you prove acorns were "foreign"? You couldn't. That would be like putting corn cobs in a standing corn field, and claiming it illegal.
Hopefully an ethical hunter wouldn't even consider it.

Assuming, of course, that baiting were illegal.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old 11-28-2008, 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

Why not just bring in a bucket from your yard and dump em out? Would be much quieter than a leaf blower in a prime hunting spot. Power equipment goes nowhere near my stands, but to each his own.
I believedumping a bucket full of carried-in acorns would be baiting while uncovering existing acorns would not. That being said, I agree that with the nose of a deer they'll find them leaves or no leaves.
Ok, I'll bite.

For one, baiting is legal.

For two, how in the WORLD can you prove acorns were "foreign"? You couldn't. That would be like putting corn cobs in a standing corn field, and claiming it illegal.
Hopefully an ethical hunter wouldn't even consider it.

Assuming, of course, that baiting were illegal.
Just making a point Dan.

Call off the dogs.
Not much of a point, but okay. [&:]
Old 11-28-2008, 01:23 PM

I was just saying where baiting was legal (like KY or NC), why take in a loud leaf blower to hopefully uncover new ones in a small patch to concentrate the feeding...when you could just bring in and dump a 5 gallon bucket full?

If illegal, no don't even think about it...whether it could be proven or not, it would be wrong. Plenty of laws would be hard to prove once the deed is done, but they are still illegal to break none the less.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like it could work.....If you try it, let me know the outcome. I think it's worth a try.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry guys, my bad. I had my states mixed up as far as the legality of baiting goes.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

Not worth the time in my opinion. The leaves arent stopping a deer from finding acorns. If they are there they will find them and " paw" the ground for them. I also feel the buried acorns are more then likely rotten and the deer wont want them anyway.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

I'm no pro but Matt brings up something to think about. I have alway been amazedhow deer will only eat the top of the sweet potato sticking out of the ground yet never dig the whole thing up? Or how they will eat only the side of the ear of corn facing up and never roll it over. Maybe the ones here are just lazy but they rarely dig to recover food, at least in the areas I have always hunted. With that being said, how many times have you pushed back the leave only to find piles of acorns left over from last year? I actually don;t think the deer push many of the leaves out of the way?Why they don't I have no idea but if you consider their feeding habits I'm thinking uncovering them may be a good idea?

Ican offer thisas a sure fire way to bring one to the spot you choose. Scrap out a large area just before going up the tree. Almost without fail ever deer that comes within sight or smell will walk straightover and investigate. The smell offresh earth is agreat attractant, uncovering say a 10x10 or better may have pretty good results? If you do it let us know how it goes. As far as using a machine in your hunting area. Thats depends a lot on what the animals in that area are used to hearing. If there's a lot of farm equipment runs inthe areait may not have a big impact?
Old 11-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Now that is some funny stuff right there. Had to do it Jeff.

Quick Reply: Leaf blower on an oak flat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.