HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Leaf blower on an oak flat? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/275813-leaf-blower-oak-flat.html)

GMMAT 11-28-2008 11:57 AM

Leaf blower on an oak flat?

I was just using the leaf blower in my back yard....and I was amazed at the number of acorns I uncovered in doing so.

Got the noggin turnin....

Has anyone ever used a leaf blower to uncover acorns in an oak flat? I've got a little staging area that I could do some serious damage in.....and only uncover what I wanted to at a time (kinda like a little "bait pile" reduced to _____ sq. feet). Simply refresh the area when it gets depleted.....and hunt the spots you uncover.

Sound plausible?

Rory/MO 11-28-2008 12:37 PM

RE: Leaf blower on an oak flat?

Jeff, I think it's a little over-board. If the deer want the acorns, they're gonna get to 'em, even if they are under leaves.

Dr Andy 11-28-2008 12:39 PM

The wheels never stop turning do they?

TEmbry 11-28-2008 12:43 PM

Why not just bring in a bucket from your yard and dump em out? Would be much quieter than a leaf blower in a prime hunting spot. Power equipment goes nowhere near my stands, but to each his own.

brucelanthier 11-28-2008 12:48 PM

I think they can smell acorns under the leaves so, if they want them, they'll find them.

virginiashadow 11-28-2008 12:50 PM

I say GO FOR it...I love new ideas. Let us know how it goes.

IAhuntr 11-28-2008 12:50 PM

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

Why not just bring in a bucket from your yard and dump em out? Would be much quieter than a leaf blower in a prime hunting spot. Power equipment goes nowhere near my stands, but to each his own.
I believedumping a bucket full of carried-in acorns would be baiting while uncovering existing acorns would not. That being said, I agree that with the nose of a deer they'll find them leaves or no leaves.

BigDaddy12t 11-28-2008 12:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

The wheels never stop turning do they?
:DThats for sure! Man my head would hurt all the time if was Jeff.[8D]Oh wait, my head hurts all the time anyways.[8D]

TEmbry 11-28-2008 12:54 PM

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

I believedumping a bucket full of carried-in acorns would be baiting while uncovering existing acorns would not. That being said, I agree that with the nose of a deer they'll find them leaves or no leaves.
Baiting is legal there unless I am badly mistaken.

Matt/TN 11-28-2008 01:10 PM

...;)

It might work Jeff, try it.