Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting & Fishing in Canada (Cold Lake)? >

Hunting & Fishing in Canada (Cold Lake)?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting & Fishing in Canada (Cold Lake)?

Old 04-02-2003, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting & Fishing in Canada (Cold Lake)?

My squadron is going to Cold Lake Canada for a joint training exercise (I guess they have enough dudes playing in the real one right now). Was wondering what if any archery seasons are open during the last week of May to first week of June. If something' s available that would be great. If someone wants to take me to their honey hole that would be even better!

If you' re from around there can you tell me what the climate is like around that time? Also I hear there is some great fishing, any special gear or tackle required?

thanks for your help
Old 04-04-2003, 08:08 AM
nub

Default RE: Hunting & Fishing in Canada (Cold Lake)?

Cargo: Canada is a big place. I wouldn' t doubt theres a hundred Cold Lakes. You might want to narrow your search for info down to say Ontario or Manitoba.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cold Lake Base is located in north eastern Alberta, right along the border between Saskatchewan & Alberta. The only hunting would be bears at that time of year. Fishing in June is usually very good in the northern parts of sask/alberta. However not real sure what fishing is close by, but most likely pike, walleye and lake trout possibly. Pike spoons, mepps in line spinners #3-5 (firetigger, brass, copper or silver), jig and grubs(whites, pink, chart, pumpkin seed, black), cranks and maybe topwater baits such as buzz baits, zarra spooks, would be a good bet. Walleye cranks, live bait rigs, jigheads tipped with bait or jig and grub combos work well. (3/8oz jigheads are perfect and 3" power grubs-white, chart, pumpkin seed or black, etc work well) Lakers will most likely be up, try silver spoons like a williams wabler, l' il cleo or fat raps. If down try 1oz hair jigs tipped with smelt or sucker belly. As far as rods, a med action baitcaster spooled with 10-14lb Trilene XT will be good for pike and lakers. Or a spinning outfit med action will work equally well for those species, spool it with 10-12 xt and buy lots of 12" steel leaders for them pike[8D] Walleye the same med action spinning rod will work, but spool it with 6-8 pound low diameter mono like berkley sensation or spiderlinw super X mono, don' t use a leader when fishing these guys.

Weather is usually in the teens in may and low 20' s in june - Celsius. I would pack some warmer wear, shorts, etc and most certainly have rain gear. It depends on the year some years it is very warm and dry in the spring and yet others it is cool and wet. It really can change a lot up here....be prepared for anything!
Old 04-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

Skeeter pretty much covered it all...but, don' t forget about gopher season
I can guarantee you a ton of fun shooting these little suckers, it really helps you work on accuracy too. If you say you can hit a 4" target at 30 yds. this will reveal the truth. There is no permit or lisence required either (but don' t eat the little buggers).
Good luck and welcome to AB!