Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Aging deer (Jaw bone pics) >

Aging deer (Jaw bone pics)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Aging deer (Jaw bone pics)

Old 11-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Aging deer (Jaw bone pics)

As I said Greg, I'm definately no expert butdueto my profession in pathologyI have quite an interest in this subject. It is a well known that rack size, deer weight, coat color, and overall appearance can give a general 'young deer'or'mature age' classification, but nothing more.
I'm no expert either but due to my profession as an electrician and armchair biologist I have quite the interest in this subject myself. [8D]

However, other than color of coat, everything else listed above definitely gives more of a definition of age than just 'young deer' or 'mature deer'.

Rack size:

In the area where these deer are hunted the rack size can definitely get you in the ball park of age class.For the average......

1 1/2 - spike to about 80"

2 1/2 - 70" to about 115"

3 1/2 - 120" to about 140"

4 1/2 - 135" to about 150"

5 1/2+ - 145" to 170"+

The mass of the rack is also indicative, especially between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2. Stickers are another indicator of age (generally).

These are the average figures that can get you close. Now you throw in body shape and appearance(roman nose, pot belly, swagger etc), the size and shape and wear of the hooves, especially the fronts. Now you can start picking out age class. At least I can ,along with several other guys that I know. As I said before, it is a best guess based on our years of experience with the deer in this area. We feel that we are within a year of our guesstimates and definitely more accurate than... young..... mature.

While tooth wear aging isa much better indicator, there are geographic variations in this methodas well.The dentine thickness compared to the enamel thickness is the keycomponent of this techniquealong with how much the last cusp of the back molar slopes down.
Yes, this was addressed in my initial post.

One thing is for certain, regardless of locationan 8.5 y/o deer has extreme wear to the point ofcupped dishes for mid molars,
I'm not certain about that. There are too many variables to say this is true for all locations. Who said it was for certain?

and yours doesn't look anything like that to me,
I addressed this in my initial post as well. I have to agree, it doesn't look like the ones in the pics from the web sites that you posted. To be fair, I don't think that their jaw bones are from the same location as mine. The one was from Texas.

but a wildlife biologist could tell you more. The front incisor analysis would certainly be the best way to go in the case of both jaws you pictured. Let me know if you get this done, or if you get a local biologist to examine yours as I'm very interested in what they'd conclude.
I tried this once, I brought the rack, a pic and the jaw bone from a 20", 140 5/8" 8 pointer that field dressed at 193 pounds to my local whitetail biologist......... He told me it was a 1 1/2!!

I am interested in getting the teeth analyzed. If I do, I'll let you know.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

Cool enough. I'm definately not one to debate the subject as I'm just learning as I go, but I haven't seen a pic of an 8.5 y/o jawfrom any part ofNorth Americathat had any amount of teeth left close to yours.
Anyhow,since your local biologist is about as accurate as playing darts, you'd have to find another biolgist that has a clue or do the teeth analysis.
Just a heads-up if you do the teeth, soak the front portion of the jaw in warm water for an hour or so before you go to make your incisions. The tip of the root is what they need and the tooth won't come out intact after the surrounding soft tissue/gum has dried soaking it will soften it right up.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Site Buck Guru

Is the tooth that's needed for this (the incisor), one of the two middle ones, or will any of the front teeth do?

Thanks
Old 11-26-2008, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

The very front two.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

greg do you think becuase of the broken jaw that is why he had those droptines?
Old 11-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Greg, Absolutely fascinating! Thanks for posting and sharing your thoughts. Keep us updated if you do get it aged.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: robdre56

greg do you think becuase of the broken jaw that is why he had those droptines?
No, he had the drop tineslast year and the broken jaw was from this year.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Greg:

Back when I said my taxi (who's nationally recognized/decorated) had aged my two bucks via this method.....you seemingly scoffed at the practice and questioned its accuracy.

Have you changed your mind? Why?
Old 11-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff ,OJ had experts that said he didn't do it also,real experts that said no way.[:-]

Why you embarrass your self like this amazes me, Greg is hunting a different class of deer ,get over it. The guy is good give it to him and try to learn some thing from him.
No one has ever taken any thing from your bucks ,be proud ,but don't even pretend that they are in this class.
Bestrepresentative specimen ? Go with that for a while.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Dominant Buck

I have no idea what you're talking about, Jim. You sound like a drunk, though.

Your inferences are pretty pathetic, though. I asked a fair question.

Have another!

Quick Reply: Aging deer (Jaw bone pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.