Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Numbers are staggering.... >

Numbers are staggering....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Numbers are staggering....

Old 11-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Numbers are staggering....

I was just perusing my '08 journal. In my last 52 hunts this year....I've killed ONE deer. I've taken 2 deer in my last 63 hunts.....and 4 deer, total, in 74 sits (took two in one sitting during the early part of the year).

I never thought I'd ever hunt this much in one season.....and pretty much know I never will, again.

Hunting new grounds has opened my eyes to one thing (many things....but one thing, in particular)....

We don't have the numbers here I thought we did. I've been hunting a heavy concentration of deer on my old grounds....and it's skewed my view of the herd, here. My buck:doe ratio also isn't as bad as I once thought. I just wasn't hunting (in the past) where bucks liked to hang out.

Probably done taking does....as I don't see the need any more (this year). If I dont take a buck....it's still been a huge success.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Numbers are staggering....

Good to see you coming full circle understanding the deer in your area. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:46 AM

Jeff that's good you have got an idea of the local herd... Im willing to bet in those new spots that don't carry as many does, you will kill or see better bucks than in the old spots. give it a couple of yrs to learn it and you will reep the rewards.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Scott (Buckeye)....I've thought a lot about some of the things you've told me in the past, this season. You're right on most all accounts. I used to hunt does to kill a buck....because that's all I had (old hunting grounds). I remember you saying how that was the LAST thing you'd do....if you wanted to kill a buck.

I see, now.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Scott (Buckeye)....I've thought a lot about some of the things you've told me in the past, this season. You're right on most all accounts. I used to hunt does to kill a buck....because that's all I had (old hunting grounds). I remember you saying how that was the LAST thing you'd do....if you wanted to kill a buck.

I see, now.

I knew after you ventured out of the area you started deer hunting in you would see a tremendous difference between the area you were accustomed to and the new lands.

This year will be invaluable to you in your learning curve. All said and done, buck or not.... This will be one of your most successful seasons ever.

Big difference in waiting for one (a buck) to show up (old place) and going to setup on one (new place). I bet you take what you learned this year and run with it next year.

Good luck.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT,

How many deer per square mile do you have in your area? I recently found out what mine was (According to the MN DNR).
Old 11-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I used to think it was a LOT higher than it is. I was hunting a limited area that held a lot of deer, though. On the new lands I'm hunting.....it's much less than the old. I've spent the lion's share of my hunting time on the new lands this year......AND I've spent the most time hutning in areas I thought would be holding bucks. Only since I've started hunting "doe" areas have my sightings increased.

Scott....I hope you're right....and I'm thinking the same (I have to....for my sanity's sakes). I hope to become more "efficient" in the future. I still have some areas I need to cross off or identify as fruitful....and that'll take some sits next year at the right times.

I've got some work to do in the off-season to help make my own "luck". I'll be at it before Christmas. I have some areas that I need to make the travel easier for the deer in...and more productive for me in. A chain saw and some elbow grease will help me for next year in some select spots. I know they wanna travel a certain way....and I'm going to make it easier for them to do so. I'll do so to MY advantage, too.

I've still got a certain buck in my sights for this year.....and almost 4 weeks of season left to hunt. We'll see. It's been a GREAT ride.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

You've definately put in the time. It would be well deserved.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

Try doing things off season like planting food sources, and clearing landes to and from beding sources. I have had the best luck ever in my hunting carreer since I started early in the spring setting up for what the deer want and need to survive. If its the gunners that ruin the late season, move the sanctuatry farther away from the gunners area. Plant some colver, alfalfa, chickory, and all the goods that they will return to year after year. Seeing the 4 does that you killed, perhaps they would have given birth to the ones to watch in a few years.

Attract the deer to YOUR land you will be hunting. Early in the year set up where the deer ar bedding, eating and just hanging out. This way you will be prepared, even having cameras to name a few shooters. Its the only way I was successful with two sides bordered by gun and hound hunters.

Quick Reply: Numbers are staggering....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.