Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stalk hunting...what a blast this morning. >

Stalk hunting...what a blast this morning.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stalk hunting...what a blast this morning.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stalk hunting...what a blast this morning.

Man I can tell you after 30+sits in a treestand for god knows how long, stalk hunting this morning proved to be a wonderful curve ball. I just put my face in the wind and hunted slowly. Even though it was about 20 degrees outside I didn't feel cold at all.

I saw what I thought looked to be a great looking flat on top of the ravine I was stalking up at first light...about 7:30am I see two does feeding about 80 yards away and begin to smell something. As I close the distance to about 60 yards downwind I most definitely smell some rut stink coming from somewhere. A minute or so later I see a buck chase in and break the does up. I slowly moved up that ravine over the course of 10 minutes as the wind covered my stalk but never saw them again. As I reached the top of the hill and looked down I could see forever. I could see the Potomac River and the Maryland side which is miles away. Man it was awesome just to get some blood pumping and my senses in tune with my surroundings instead of sitting in my climber. I think I might be onto something....this might be more than just a once in awhile thing. I might make stalk hunting something I do in the later part of the season.

I forgot to add as I was exiting around 10am, I had some spooked does come running right out of the thicket. I nocked an arrow and raised my bow and one came running by at under 10 yards...no good shot. Thrilling!
Old 11-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Stalk hunting...what a blast this morning.

I agree. I stalk hunted last weekend and crept up on a spike & a doe. I had a blast toying with the buck calling him in, waiting until he wandered off, then calling him in again... At one point he was within 10 yards of me and he had no idea I was there.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's the route I went this morning. Saw 18 deer, but nothing close enough to shoot.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Being able to stalk to within shooting range of a whitetail truly separates the men from the boys. It's an art I don't have.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love to do it with a gun in my hand. 2 seasons ago I got within 20 yds of a bedded spike buck. I have grown a little tired of the sitting forever. I'm hoping someday to get good enough at tracking to try it with a bow.
It's not always about getting a deer. A hunt like you had today will be a fond memory for the rest of your life.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

ive had very good success stalking the past few yrs.this yr ishot2 bucks stalking. one in md and one in delaware. killed the smaller buck at 10yds. i happened tosee him before he saw me and he walked rite by me. hit the other buck in the shoulder and couldnt find him. he was a very old deer. huge body and decent rack. he is still alive. saw him crossing the rd one evening with a slight limp. thank god. i had many other chances at does and other smaller bucks and passed them up. had a 7pt basket rack walk rite at me. he was at most 6yds away. let him walk. all this on state land during high winds and wet ground. it is a very fun way to hunt. when the weather is bad ill be stalking!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

all this on state land during high winds and wet ground. it is a very fun way to hunt. when the weather is bad ill be stalking!!!
Bypass---that is when I like to get on the ground as well. One of my favorite stalk hunts happened years ago...put my face into the wind and hunted near a creek. I saw two does coming at me from over 100 yards away. I waited behind a large bush until the smaller doe passed right by me at 12 yards> I then waited for the larger doe to pass and I drew and fired. I hit a twig and the arrow deflected into the dirt But man that was so much fun! I arrowed a doe from the ground at 30 yards last year and that was great as well.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool VS.

I love to stalk I do. Have had successes over the past years while doing it.

This am I also had a chance to try out a ground attack on a decent 125-130 8 point. He bedded with a doe about 130 yards from me in a tall grass CRP. Cue the deja-vu..

If I had a buck tag to burn.. I'd a gave it all.. but alas I have none left.. so I elected to observe a little.

Up until this season I've always hunted about a 60-40 mix of on ground hunting and treestand hunting.. 60 went to the treestand. But due to a bursa sac on my right knee cap I've been unable to pursue one of my favorite methods. [>:]