Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 is poaching ever justifiable? >

is poaching ever justifiable?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

is poaching ever justifiable?

Old 11-23-2008, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: is poaching ever justifiable?

Mostly no!

However I think the regulations that say "No using luminocks", "No Expanding Broadheads", and eightteen dollars a turkey tag in Oregon are dumb, and if I heard someone say they used Luminocks or Expandable Broadheads I wouldn't care.

IT'S NEVER ACCEPTABLE to shoot things out of season or too many of one thing!
Old 11-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its my god given right to eat, and I will .
Deer and other game animals are a natural renuable resource, given to you by the good lord. If your not religous, given to you by mother nature.
Its not poaching if its to survive.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:19 AM

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

Only to the poacher.
That's the best answer to this question one could ever post.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

When I was growing up, the state didn't have a system that they do now of donating a deer. Even road kill deer where gathered up and tossed into a deer dump. Family members of mine (distant) were on government assistance, but only gave enough for the essentials. (Bread, milk, eggs etc.) You get meat and you had no aid left. They would shot a deer out of season to provide meat on the table. They both worked, but the pay was so small that they only had enough money to pay the bills and that was it. Christmas time, if nobody bought there kids anything, they didn't get anything. In that type of situation, yes I would say poaching was ok. Now that the state has something in place to help out, then no, unless it is true survival like drhuntr said.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

What if you are tracking a deer you shot and wounded you find it beddedit is a gut shotand will take several hours to die? You find it at night and can get up on it with a bow or gun do you hold a light and finish it off because that is actually poaching but then it becomes a question of ethics. You made a bad shot should the deer suffer? Or do you make an exception and finish the deer off quickly?
Old 11-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

Just how scary is it that 30% of hunters say it's justifyable to poach. I keep reading stuff like "it's my god given right to feed my family" and other BS like that. The truth is, no one will ever starve in this country and you don't have to go out poaching to justify your need to illegally hunt. I'd say that 1 in 500 poachers actually get caught--it's an epidemic that needs to be addressed and we all need to be vigilant to help catch poachers by reporting them whenever we can. We've all been sitting in our stands and have heard high poweredrifle shots in the distanceand weknow that another nice buck that came out onto a field just bought itfrom some jackass poacher. I'll reportany poacher at the drop of a hat, no excuses.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes and all that I'm saying is thatas long as there's wild game my family will never starve to death.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

I would be happy to donate a deer to anyone that would like one everyone in my area knows that and I still do not get people to take me up on the offer. There are plenty of hunters out there that would be happy to donate a deer to someone in need. I dont think poaching is acceptable. I would like some thoughts on my earlier post
Old 11-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

I voted no, but meant yes. If someone needs the meat, I don't care.

Legality does not equal morality.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually used to know a guy that would pull up into a feild with his .22 and shoot deer for the meat. Would just shoot them right out of the truck. He has no job. I feel like it is justifiable in that case. AS LONG AS IT IS NOT HARMING OR PUTTING ANYONE IN DANGER. I'm not even sure if you would call what he was doing poaching, but still.

Quick Reply: is poaching ever justifiable?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.