Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Recant on the Mathews MISinformation >

Recant on the Mathews MISinformation

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Recant on the Mathews MISinformation

Old 11-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Recant on the Mathews MISinformation

When I'm wrong I'll say it. I got some misinformation from my shop onwer RE: the 340IBO Mathews new bow. I went to the shop (to pick up my new arrows....which is a totally different story....lol)....and shot th enew bow.

First off....the numbers I gave yesterday....I 'thought' were shot at 70#'s. They were shot at 62#'s. I shot the bow at 62#'s and it got 296fps. My '08 allegiance (same 356gr. arrow) got 292. Not too shabby.

So....we jacked it up to 70#'s. Same arrow....this time 314 through the chrono with the MAthews. I'm wondering if 1" DW and 6gr = -26fps.....but it's still closer to advertised than I (unknowingly) gave it credit for (or, lack thereof).

I won't comment on how the bow shot....as I was comparing apples/oranges. My bow has a sight/stab./etc....and the Mathews was almost bare (WB and D-loop).

Thought I'd clarify.

**EDIT - Also....ONE thing that might "fudge" the numbers in the way of the Mathews IBO....is DW. Fully cranked down....the 70# model produced DW OVER 74#'s. We backed it off to 70#'s for the "test".
Old 11-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Recant on the Mathews MISinformation

The numbers look a little better now. But it still seems odd. Only 1" off the DL, and 6 grains over the IBO arrow weight. Then a d-loop and WB, and it only shoots 314. Hmmmm, my guess is Mathews fibs on numbers. Because their is no way that bow loses that much speed from what I have formentioned.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

My buddy went down and Shot the Reezen 6.5 and he said it was getting 332fps on their chrono, with 29 inch draw. Not to sure what the difference would be. Im thumped!! Could be a lot of things, maybe both machines need to be checked for accuracy.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Dominant Buck

crenshaw...

"maybe" they had the bow cranked all the way down, too....and they're shooting more than 70#'s.

Like I said.....crnked all the way down (with a half-turn backed off).....we were getting readings over 74#'s.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

The numbers look a little better now. But it still seems odd. Only 1" off the DL, and 6 grains over the IBO arrow weight. Then a d-loop and WB, and it only shoots 314. Hmmmm, my guess is Mathews fibs on numbers. Because their is no way that bow loses that much speed from what I have formentioned.
DL alone bumps it down around 330. Few more from arrow weight. How long of a Dloop? Thatll shed a few. WB also will shed a few. 330 to 314 is a 16 fps discrepancy. 16 from a slightly heavier arrow, dloop, and WB....believable to me.

Plus, these bows are unique. Not EVERY SINGLE bow will hit exactly 340 IBO out of the box with no exceptions. This is why some companies like BT went to a range instead of a set number....to keep all the speed freaks from griping about a speed being off by a few fps from IBO....Speed can be had from tweaking the tune of the bowas well.

With alot of bows, it just depends. One can excede IBO while the next one down the line be 3-5 fps below IBO. While they are performance machines...there is still some variance within them.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

crenshaw...

"maybe" they had the bow cranked all the way down, too....and they're shooting more than 70#'s.

Like I said.....crnked all the way down (with a half-turn backed off).....we were getting readings over 74#'s.
Maybe, I just dont know. I wasnt there to see exactly what they were doing to get that speed. If they had it cranked up with nothing on the string but a loop and a fall away they may get that number, who knows?. I know the WB slows it down pretty good. Its just one of those things, you would have to play with to figure it out, if it was that important to you to maximize your speed.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

This is why some companies like BT went to a range instead of a set number
Bowtech doesn't use a "range". They Chrono each bow and put the results of THAT bow on THAT bow's birth certificate.

No guessing.....and no false impressions.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bowtech doesn't use a "range". They Chrono each bow and put the results of THAT bow on THAT bow's birth certificate.

they all need to do this. Mathews newest bow for the IBO says stuff like "Up to 350" and "Up to 360" What is that crap? Does that mean I can get one that only shoots 353 fps? Dont give me some bullcrap "Up to..." thats nonsense. Give us an IBO speed and leave it at that. And this is coming from someone who owns and shoots a mathews and swears by them.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:10 AM

in my testing, a WB only costs you 2-3 FPS over a drop away

I got 295 out on my Reezen at 62 lbs, 353 gr Maxima, 28" DL, QAD HD rest
Old 11-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think he was talking about the IBO speeds Jeff. Bowtech does do a range for those, taking into account that some just don't fling'em quite like some others might. Rather than give a range like bowtech, mathews uses a *.... which means "approx."... and quite naturally it is kinda deceiving when you see an ad like this....

Mathews DXT
IBO Speed - 322

*approx.

What is odd is that they have the same listing for ATA length and the mass weight of the bow.... my standing joke is the only thing it proves to me is no one at Mathews owns an accurate certified scale or can properly manipulate a tape measure..... In today's world... one is best advised to cover one's ass at all times. So now we have *

Bowtech actually did one better by having the BC... they know there aren't a pile of 30" draw guys around... the bulk are 28-29"... and moreover, its a value added/quality assured part of their manufacturing to test for a birth certificate. And from selling bows for a living I'll tell you... it really does make a difference in the mind of the customer. Because at that point its not really advertising anymore, its a tangible result they are holding in their hands. Granted, not a lot of BTs make BC speed either, because there aren't many folks shooting a perfect 5gpp with no peep and no loop. In my mind I'd like to see it done with an arrow 50-70 grains over 5gpp. I love how Bowhunt America does their five star bow review.. they go way over IBO and even WAY under it. It really gives you a repectable idea of what to expect.

Quick Reply: Recant on the Mathews MISinformation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.