Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Illinois Bow hunting >

Illinois Bow hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Illinois Bow hunting

Old 11-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Illinois Bow hunting

I figured I would make a new thread, For Illinois bow hunters like me seeing as the Signs of Illinois Rut thread was starting to die.

I figure we can keep in touch about bow hunting her in Illinois.

I have glad that most people have been having plenty of luck this Season but, I must say I could be doing better. I have three private properties that i can hunt, and I have only killed one deer. My first deer a button buck. I have a bad feeling that our rut went on at night because of the heat, and Might still be coming.

So I am currently wondering about whats going to go on seeing as this is my first hunting season about what happens after shotgun season. I mean its only my first deer season so I dont know how its going to go. But hows the season work after shotgun season and its only 3 days the first time around. Are the woods going to be too shot up and are the deer going to be real spooked too badly?

What are some stratgies to use after shotgun season?
Old 11-19-2008, 12:06 AM

Default RE: Illinois Bow hunting

Well if ur in a area where shotgun hunting is goin to be in action before to long. Then ur in for alot of sittin and playin games with deer just to see one. They get spooked and stay bedded down until night and then move to eat and drink. And for u having 3 properties to hunt on which i have seen some videos of urs on youtube, u need to get a ariel photo and look and see where deer would move through like funnels. U just need to do a little scouting and u will find them. good luck
Old 11-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

The new property should only have 2 shotgun hunters max this weekend.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

As i said 1 property will have very little pressure.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

So what I am basically looking for is advice on what to do postshotgun season....
Old 11-19-2008, 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Texgrebby87

So what I am basically looking for is advice on what to do postshotgun season....
If you know where they bed and where they feed, just get in between them, preferably closer to the bedding.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use to think right after the gun season it was almost impossible to kill a deer with a bow. Suprisingly I have had very good luck during thanksgiving weekend most years. It seems like for the most part all the big bucks tend to be locked down with does during the first gun season and are out searching again by thanksgiving weekend. Just keep in mind that the deer are pressured so hunt accordingly. Be as scent free as possible and hunt smart.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

Well The deer in the new property are very little pressured. for shotgun season on the new property that I can hunt. Currently I am hunting next to an old perminant stand that has not been used in years. So I figure its a good place. It is on a trail where deer would cross the creek and go around the bottom of the vally at the openings of 3 funnels and that are washouts. the spot itself is a funnal made by the creek and the valley wall.

I have been letting another property where I have my groundblind at rest because the land i can hunt is very small and the other hunters have already found the bedding area on their side of the property line and have ither driven the deer deeper into the woods or out of the woods and cross the rail road tracks.

The third property I do not know so well because its very large and I got lost in it once So I have a bit of a phobia about it, so I only go there when I have somebody with me. its very scary to come out of the woods at a place that looks like you went in at but your 500 yards past where you want to be and you keep walking the outside in hope you will get to the end of the corn and come to a road, which I did but IM not crazy about that place.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

The most fun and productive season I ever had was a week after the first shotgun season during Thanksgiving week. On a Sunday morning I rattled and grunted in a 7 pt. buck on the ground. Killed him at 12 yards while hiding in some weeds higher than my head. This was my best hunt ever, very exciting to paw the ground with antlers, rattle and grunt a buck in.

Two days later(Tuesday) killed my 2nd best buck at 8 yards on the ground while stretched out from behind a large water oak. Lots of luck involved and I had seen this buck 3 different times in early season, but could not make a serious attempt at getting him until that particular morning. So yeah, post firearm season can be very successful under the right circumstances.

I try like heck to hunt where deer are likely to feel less pressured and more secure after gun season.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:30 AM
Fork Horn

Well we will see what happens after shotgun season gets over with.

Quick Reply: Illinois Bow hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.