Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My worst hunter ever...but has a happy ending. >

My worst hunter ever...but has a happy ending.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My worst hunter ever...but has a happy ending.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default My worst hunter ever...but has a happy ending.

So i just finished my two week hunting vacation today. On november 7th i drove three hours to my hunting grounds in northern michigan. i got there, hung some stands (for rifle season) and went hunting in my old sweet spot.

at about 530 i heard a deer walkin about 100 yards from me. when i saw him i immediately knew he was a buck just by the way his body posture was. he walked in like he was on a string. he stopped at 20 yards and i drew my bow. i could almost see myself wrapping my hands around his 4 pt antlers. just before i shot he started to walk closer to me. he stopped, again, this time at 15 yards. i took careful aim and shot. what happened next is kind of a blurr. i saw my arrow going at his heart, then my bow almost lept out of my hand. the buck ran off and stopped 50 yards away and looked back. i watched him (hoping that he would tip over) and realized that he didn't act like he was hit. he then raised his tail and bounded off. as i watched in disbelief i started to go over what had happened. i looked where he was standing and saw my arrow laying on the ground in two pieces. i then looked at my bow. to my horror i saw that my bottom limb was cracked and my bottom cam was bent. it was at that point i realised that i had hit my stand when i shot.

now think about this. i just started a two week vacation and had no bow. i was a little upset. a quick check confirmed that i missed, then i started burning up the phone lines. i called every hunting store i knew to try and find a new bow (darton as300.) luckaly i found one about an hour from where i was. I immediately drove up there and bought the new bow.

after getting the darton sighted in, i went back out into the woods. two days after my catastrophic failure i was sitting in my stand and caught sight of a deer 50 yards away. when i saw it's head i immediately knew that it was a button buck. now, back in the day i would have gotten ready to shoot this guy. however, i am more selective now and decided not to shoot. that was my mind thought untill i saw that the little guy was walking on three legs. at that point i decided that i would rather have this deer than let the coyotes or winter get him.

at 15 yards he stopped and i put a perfect shot on him. i was fortunate to watch him fall 50 yards away (first time that has happened with a bow for me). though he's not a huge booner buck, i am proud of him. i got him on the second hunt (first shot) with my new bow.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My worst hunter ever...but has a happy ending.

sorry about the bow. congrats on the deer.