Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 They are GHOSTS I tell you!! >

They are GHOSTS I tell you!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

They are GHOSTS I tell you!!

Old 11-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default They are GHOSTS I tell you!!

It is unbelievable how a deer can just appear out of nowhere!!!

I only had 1 hour to hunt after work so I though what the heck i'll get out there and see what happens.
Decked out in full camo, I stood next to a tree with my bow. The areawas tall timber and very little brush.Leaning up against the tree I was scanning left and right with my eyes without moving my head very much.

Quick scan to the right, nothing. Quick scan to the left, nothing. I go to scan again to the right and RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME,at about 8feet was a buck. I mean literally, directly in front of me!!!

To make a scan cycle left and right was taking about 15 seconds. I really don't know how it was physically possible for that deer to appear that close to me without me picking him up coming in. On top of it all the leaves were dry and i didn't hear him.

Hewas trying to figure out what i was but did not look alarmed. Quite frankly, i was scared. I had my hands at my side and the thought of this buck coming at me was going through my mind.

It began walking off to my left. as soon as i moved my hand to put my release on my bow he apparently caught my movement and took off.

If i would have seen this guy coming in i probably would have been able to get ready and would have had a shot but the first i saw him was at 8 feet.

They are Ghosts I tell you.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:07 AM

Default RE: They are GHOSTS I tell you!!

You telling about ghost make me think of the time I was out of state in Missouri back in the the 70's. My bowhunting buddy found a hell of a run the only thing it was right down the middle of a old grave yard. In Missouri you find them on a old two track dirt roads way back in the woods from every thing are no roads at all to them. I help him put a stand up and he sat there that evening. When he came back to camp that night he was snow white and said he would never set there again. I ask him way and he told how ever thing was moving when it got dark. He said he think he see a deer coming are some thing moving than realize it was just a head stone he was looking at and swear it was moving and making sound in the leaves.He said never again and he didn't set there again and it was one really good deer run.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats funny stuff,

It just blows my mind how they just seem to appear out of nowhere.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:26 PM
byg
Spike

Yep...I was thinking the same thing the other day...I was watching a trail the other day from my stand.Look the other way for a second,then I hear a branch snap and there he is...out of nowhere
it is truly amazing. Actually happened twice and no I wasnt sleepingLOL....
Old 11-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think turkeys are worse than deer. I have seen turkeys appear in the middle of a 100 acre field that I took my eyes off of for like 10 seconds. My theory for turkeys is that they have secret underground tunnels. Maybe deer have these too?
Old 11-19-2008, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me, their ghost-like appearancesare part of the magic. It can happen anytime anyplace. I amglad they're not hunting us.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kwilson16
It can happen anytime anyplace. I amglad they're not hunting us.
amen to that.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

I've had many deer just seem like they appear out of nowhere. I scanned the area REALLY good, then I had to stand up to stetch, and then all of a sudden, I hear deer blowing and stomping. Look to my left and a group of does are right there. Then they decide to keep coming in, and walk just out of range lol. Seems like they knew how far to walk out in front of me without me being able to get a shot. At least that hasn't happened this year yet anyway.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:24 AM

Or..... when you are staring at one and it stops moving and disappears completely, only to materialize again 5 feet behind you.