HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   The most accomplished hunter never known... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/274100-most-accomplished-hunter-never-known.html)

NY/Al 11-18-2008 01:39 PM

RE: The most accomplished hunter never known...

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

I may couse some waves but how couldanyone not hit9 P&Y, going to and for work with therecar in41 years, in your area?:eek:[:o]
Depends on whose trying for them I suppose!;)

Germ 11-18-2008 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Antler Eater

Greg has 9 P&Y in 41 years.
So if there was a hunter on this site with more P&Y's than the number above, would he be considered "The most accomplished hunter never known..."????;):D

You're my second choice:D

John has over 12 from MI;)Including a 188'' double drop tine buck from my hunting area

Germ 11-18-2008 01:45 PM

From where I hunt

Antler Eater 11-18-2008 01:49 PM

[quote]You're my second choice:D [quote]

Bahaa haaa ...Now that was funny, I don't care who you are!!!

John has over 12 from MI;)Including a 188'' double drop tine buck from my hunting area
Germ I don't know what area you are hunting but those are outstanding numbers in any State, but coming from Michigan----WOW.

Germ 11-18-2008 01:51 PM

John has shot bucks all over MI

Germ 11-18-2008 01:55 PM

You're my second choice:D
Bahaa haaa ...Now that was funny, I don't care who you are!!!

Germ I don't know what area you are hunting but those are outstanding numbers in any State, but coming from Michigan----WOW.

My county is one of the least populated in SE MI, but on the west side it's pretty good. We have about 12-18 deer per sq mile. The double droptine was shot along US 23, I drove by the exact spot ever day to work.

I never layed eyes on that buck[&:]

Germ 11-18-2008 02:01 PM

This is from 2003, he's well over 12 now;)

Eleven of the book deer Benedict has taken with archery equipment in Michigan also qualify for Pope and Young records. Typical antlered bucks only have to measure 100 to qualify for CBM Records, and the minimum is 125 for non-typicals. Pope and Young minimums for the same categories are 125 and 150.

The fact that the 23 whitetails Benedict has in state records have come from 17 different counties illustrates that he does a lot of moving around. He doesn't have one or two honeyholes that produce for him on a consistent basis. How is he able to be so consistently successful on book bucks?

Benedict has shot all of his book bucks from the ground

Antler Eater 11-18-2008 02:09 PM

How does anyone top that? :)

MOTOWNHONKEY 11-18-2008 02:13 PM

On the ground with a neon thong.

gri22ly 11-18-2008 02:22 PM

So if there was a hunter on this site with more P&Y's than the number above, would he be considered "The most accomplished hunter never known..."????;):D

No, but ifhunter"A"hunted Georgia and had12 P&Y in16 years. He would be a much better hunter than, hunter "B" who hunted Illinois and had 13 P&Y in 32 years. [8D]

I do the #'s all the time, I can't help it.[&:] They don't lie.;)

gri22ly 11-18-2008 02:24 PM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

On the ground with a neon thong.
On public land.[8D]

buckeye 11-18-2008 02:31 PM

I think we would all be a little shocked if Antler Eater actually showed all of ushis "trophy room".... I bet it is massive.

Siman08/OH 11-18-2008 02:35 PM

So Benedict is Antler Eater, or am i just confused? [8D]

buckeye 11-18-2008 02:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

So Benedict is Antler Eater, or am i just confused? [8D]
You are confused :D

Germ 11-18-2008 02:37 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeye

I think we would all be a little shocked if Antler Eater actually showed all of ushis "trophy room".... I bet it is massive.
I would be shocked if he showed his face:D

I believe you are correct, one of the guys I work with from Cabela's you would not even know he shot a deer. I got to see his trophy room, holy cow is all i could say.

He lived in Iowa also, one of his spots is now an outfitters spot;)

GregH 11-18-2008 02:43 PM

quote:

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Kelly/KY

Still a brute of a whitetail. You modest sob. Congrats again.
[/blockquote]
I want to see Kellys wall, Greg has 9 P&Y in 41 years.

If you stay oncourse,how many do you think you might have on your wall Kelley!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started trying for P&Y's 18 years ago. 41 years ago, I didn't even know what P&Y was!

OH....Im sorry Greg.............[&o][&o]Wow, I did not know that.....[&o][&o]Sorry again........[&o][&o]

I may couse some waves but how couldanyone not hit9 P&Y, going to and for work with therecar in41 years, in your area?:eek:[:o]

I'll be 52 next week and I've never hit a deer of any kind with a car in my life.

I was being courteous and trying to put things in perspective. 41 years ago there were no deer in my area. My father took me up north to hunt for them. I first started hunting for deer in "my" area 25 years ago.

It is obvious that you don't know much about me, my hunting area or my hunting career.

I don't believe that you are following along with the good intentions or spirit of this thread. Otherwise you would not be trying to discredit me so much. It makes me wonder what your problem is.......jealousy!!??..........sounds like it!

And finally........

"Were you born an A-hole or did you work it your life? Either way it worked out fine because you're an A-hole tonight!"

And thats Gospel! [:-]

buttonbuckmaster 11-18-2008 02:44 PM

No, but ifhunter"A"hunted Georgia and had12 P&Y in16 years. He would be a much better hunter than, hunter "B" who hunted Illinois and had 13 P&Y in 32 years. [8D]

I do the #'s all the time, I can't help it.[&:] They don't lie.;)
Good lord, people can't even give a guy credit w/o throwing in the "If I lived/hunted where he does" BS. If you guys don't like where you hunt or live, do something to change it.

buckeye 11-18-2008 02:48 PM

Again, congrats Greg on another great buck.

Germ 11-18-2008 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeye

Again, congrats Greg on another great buck.

I second buckeye;)

OHbowhntr 11-18-2008 02:56 PM

Not really sure who the "BEST" hunter is, not really interested. GREG certainly puts down some great animals and is more than willing to share knowledge to help others, I think that makes him a GREAT ASSET to the sport of bowhunting and this forum, the "best," I can't say, but I admire him and respect him very much. For what it's worth, I think there are a LOT of good deer hunters here (hell we have one guy with more mutated half-decent racks than most states have, "winky" "winky" Rob :D), some good elk hunters too, an there are a LOAD of good guys here willing to share their knowledge to help a new hunter or younger hunter or even a seasoned hunter gain more knowledge to make him a better hunter or a more successful hunter.

In my circle of friends, I'm the guy with the "knowledge," I know that makes my friends look like a bunch of dummies, which for the most part they are, but I think it's never about who's best to me, it's about who's getting better, who's now successful in attaining his goals, be it that first buck with a bow, that first P&Y or maybe just that first archery kill period. We have a great community here, lots of GREAT HUNTERS, lots of GREAT PEOPLE, let not sour that with a pissing contest over "Who's is bigger or better." I'd gladly take an opportunity to hunt with about any of y'all here, and learn more about how you do things to help me as a hunter, and share any little tid-bits I have to help you if I have any.

NY/Al 11-18-2008 02:59 PM

Well said Doug!:)

early in 11-18-2008 03:51 PM

Greg, will you adopt me?;):D:D:D:D:D:D

gri22ly 11-18-2008 03:56 PM

:DYes I am being an A-hole tonight.... I just do that sometimes;););).

Kind of like pulling my skull cap over my eyes, spinning around and climbing the first tree I bump into[8D].

I truly am sorry, I thought you were from Racine, WI.

Thats the areaour deer came from,when they restocked Kentucky in the 1940's and 50's.

BigJ71 11-18-2008 04:04 PM

Wow.....how does it always come to this??

There are a lot of great deer hunters here on this site and many who aren't on the net. To try and diminish Greg's accomplishments byplaying the "location" card is a little silly to say the least. First of all I am a firm believer in location being the most important part of the equation, HOWEVER there are a lot of folks who hunt in these "target rich" locations (probably some even better than Greg's spots) myself included and still don't bag the bruiser bucks he does year in and year out.

Why? well there are as many reasons as there are big ole bucks hanging on Greg's walls.:DDeer hunting is a personal endeavor and what you want out of it differs from hunter to hunter. Greg knows I like him but I'm not a sac rider soto proclaim him as "the most accomplished hunter ever known" is not only the ultimate in sac riding (sorry Vabowman) but a little over the top and I think he (Greg) has already said as much.

However, when it comes to DEER hunting and more specific mature, big antlered deer hunting, Greg has done quite well for himself and has the hardware to show for it......Good on you bud! This didn't happen by happenstance or simply because he hunts in a more "target rich" environment than others....No, it's because he continues to learn and applies that to hunting a specific type of deer. All we see is the end result. I bet a lot would be surprised to find out all the effort, time and knowledge that were put into the hunt to reach that result. He's not the only one here, there are others and I suspect they take a similar journey aswell to reach that end result. So congratulations are in order but please check the sac riding at the door.:D

As a side note and I think it has already been said but it bears repeating....He gets the job done with equipment and gear most here would look upon as outdated and obsolete. All the more reason for me to continue to put on those old USGI BDS's and leave the "hightechsuperscentcontrollinghighspeedmegavelocit ybowultrasharpfieldtipflyinglatestbells&whistl es" equipment for the TV guys.;)

virginiashadow 11-18-2008 04:12 PM

I can tell you already that Greg helped put me in the spot I hunted today (he doesn't know it) because of his talk of hunting terrain features between doe bedding areas during the rut. The place I hunted today is really the only terrain feature that I have found that is a funnel between doe bedding areas. I could almost hear Greg's voice this morning as I switched my hunting plans mid-stream and set-up on the spot I hunted. I almost killed my first mature buck this morning even though I had never seen a buck in this spot for 3 years. He said to sit tight and hunt it hard, sometimes for 2-3 days on end. I will be back at it tomorrow. Proven information like that he has offered to many people over the years. That being said, there are many other great great hunters on here who have shared their knowledge with me, and for that I am forever grateful.

bowmanaj 11-18-2008 04:17 PM

I definitely agree. I have never met him, but after seeing that picture with all of his monsters together (a few months back),it made me respect the guy greatly. Hats off to ya GregH, that last one was a hoss. There is nobutt kissing involved here. He is obviously a humble person, so its ok to give respect where respect is due.

TeeJay 11-18-2008 04:19 PM

My late Uncle George. With only one arm, would pile up any running buck with his old 300 Savage. He looked like the rifle man. My vote goes to ol Uncle Geo!

davidmil 11-18-2008 05:59 PM

Pope and Young scores don't really come into play for me and most everyone I know. Check the books, they just aren't here or in a lot of places. I say that out there somewhere there are a lot of bowhunters who are at the top of the food chain we'll never hear about. Maybe he lives in Florida, or SC or PA or California even. I still say the judge of a hunter shouldn't be the measure of a deers headgear compared to the rest of the country. And that hunter who ever he maybe doesn't really care who thinks who is the best or better. He does it for the joy of the hunt.

Vabowman 11-18-2008 06:03 PM

Wow....I simply said GregH was the most accomplished hunter never known, and you'd of thought I said Ryan Leaf was the greatest NFL quarterback!!! Call it ass kissing, call it sac riding, call it a crush,call itwhat you will, but the fact is....he has a wall that could be displayed in NAW or any mag...I have 4 bucks mounted and most of yall have seen them and I believe they are great bucks and it has taken me 20 yrs to kill them , but they come in intervals, Greg does itevery damn year... I don't know him and will likely never know him, but I have killed/seen/hunted enough bigbucks to know when a guy has a nack for it, and he does. I don't know what the big deal is...some people have egos and it seems that my post rubbed some the wrong way, oh well, I don't give a flying sh*t! So what, the guy hunts Ill and Wis....I hunt Va, believe me, we do have grown ones here within 3 mins of me, I know I have some hanging up and have a scrap book full of deer that have been killed within 15 mins or closer to me... I hunt these places every year, but I don't score every year like that.. Im just speaking the truth about a fellow HNI er that would never speak of himself this way...ok fine, there are others, but I don't see their walls and I don't know who they are..just let me give my props to Greg and be done with it...

hardcorehunter 11-18-2008 07:04 PM

Greg bowhunts? I suppose he rides a Harley too[8D]

GMMAT 11-18-2008 07:16 PM

I don't believe that you are following along with the good intentions or spirit of this thread. Otherwise you would not be trying to discredit me so much. It makes me wonder what your problem is.......jealousy!!??..........sounds like it!
Greg....Knowing Josh...I don't think it was meant in that spirit. And....knowing Josh....I don't think there's a lot of jealousy (or ANY reason for it) for another hunter.

quiksilver 11-18-2008 07:25 PM

Did anyone mention that Greg shoots High Country?

Nothing says "Great American Bowhunting Hero" like a High Country bow. That's all I know. :eek:

davidmil 11-18-2008 07:58 PM

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Did anyone mention that Greg shoots High Country?

Nothing says "Great American Bowhunting Hero" like a High Country bow. That's all I know. :eek:
Is it ethical to bowhunt with a High Country? Are you taking advantage of the innocent cute little deer?[8D]

Germ 11-18-2008 08:02 PM

I just thought we were suppose to name the best unknown bowhunter:D My bad

TEmbry 11-18-2008 08:20 PM

You guys obviously haven't seen my wall huh?[8D][&:]

Schultzy 11-18-2008 09:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Wow....I simply said GregH was the most accomplished hunter never known, and you'd of thought I said Ryan Leaf was the greatest NFL quarterback!!! Call it ass kissing, call it sac riding, call it a crush,call itwhat you will, but the fact is....he has a wall that could be displayed in NAW or any mag...I have 4 bucks mounted and most of yall have seen them and I believe they are great bucks and it has taken me 20 yrs to kill them , but they come in intervals, Greg does itevery damn year... I don't know him and will likely never know him, but I have killed/seen/hunted enough bigbucks to know when a guy has a nack for it, and he does. I don't know what the big deal is...some people have egos and it seems that my post rubbed some the wrong way, oh well, I don't give a flying sh*t! So what, the guy hunts Ill and Wis....I hunt Va, believe me, we do have grown ones here within 3 mins of me, I know I have some hanging up and have a scrap book full of deer that have been killed within 15 mins or closer to me... I hunt these places every year, but I don't score every year like that.. Im just speaking the truth about a fellow HNI er that would never speak of himself this way...ok fine, there are others, but I don't see their walls and I don't know who they are..just let me give my props to Greg and be done with it...
I agree Vab, pretty sad!

GregH 11-19-2008 12:43 AM

Vabowman (and everyone else). Thanks for all the kind words. I never expected it, but I really appreciate it. What really surprised me was that this thread almost made it to the end before a childish detractor popped up and turned it south. There's one in every crowd, a fact we'll all have to live with. [&o]

Thanks again to all.

Vabowman 11-19-2008 05:21 AM

Im actually sorry I started itGreg....I know you are not into blowing yourself up, but i felt the need to express MY appreciation for a hunter with so much success... I guess jealousy rears its ugly head anytime someone starts discussing this....man, egos were bashed pretty hard I guess.....I don't know what terrain you hunt, but I know you don't pay outfitters and that is all I need to know. Job well done on another big buck and keep putting them down!! Hell, one day I will be able to learn how it's done!

trailinone 11-19-2008 05:59 AM

Vabowman,
Great post. Credit given where deserved.
GregH,
Another monster of a buck. I've been waiting on you to post this years hoss. Congratulations, and just to "sack ride a little", I read everytime you post. I usually learn something everytime. Thanks for your willingness to share your knowledge.
Chris

ICALL2MUCH 11-19-2008 06:23 AM

I don't care if he hunts field mice in a whore house. The man puts mature deer on the ground year after year.

THOUSANDS of hunters hunt both IL and WI without this type of continued success.

One thing that I think people get pissed about, is that they really can control where they hunt. They just don't. So they complain. Or mention it in passing, to at least touch on it.

Another thing, is "big" is a very relative term. "mature" is not nearly as relative.

I'd give just as much respect to someone who in South Carolina who put down 90" 3.5 year olds, or anywhere else in the country for that matter.

For the most part, that just doesn't happen.

I've never met the guy, most likely never will. I don't even KNOW if he really has a sack.