Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 (Blah!!) Stopping deer >

(Blah!!) Stopping deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

(Blah!!) Stopping deer

Old 11-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default (Blah!!) Stopping deer

My dad and I had this very same discussion on the phone tonight. Is It the right thing to do? I hear allot of story's of people blahing, grunting, whistling, yelling, etc, to stop there deer so they can shoot It. Some of the times these story's end In spine shots or misses being your alerting that deer before you shoot. I'm not saying It's right or wrong. What do you all think? Tell me why also.

As for myself, I will not do It. At least I haven't yet anyway. I don't want that deer to know that there's something else around. No wrong or right answers here, just a friendly discussion that maybe we/me can learn something from.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: (Blah!!) Stopping deer

I've done it successfully, but prefer not to unless he's trotting in quick. If he's feeding in, let him come. I never liked firing on a buck with him looking right at me even if I'm at full draw. Like you said, no right or wrong.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on the situation.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

It depends on the situation.
I fixed It for ya!!
Old 11-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only as a last resort Steve. I am like you in the respect that I do not want that deer alert, looking for me. I would however do it without hesitation if it was a bruiser moving way too fast or chasing a doe. ( What would I have to lose type situation.)

LT
Old 11-15-2008, 10:33 PM

Easier to hit a deer where you want if it's not moving. I totally understand the argument about an alert deer though. I've not ever had one jump the string because of my stopping it though. And if he happens to be chasing a doe, you've got to do something to stop that bad boy. In fact, I'm going to by a whistle for just such occasions. They are so "1 track minded" when they are chasing, it's dern near impossible to stop them.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

They are so "1 track minded" when they are chasing, it's dern near impossible to stop them.
My brother had this problem 2 days ago. He had this buck come by at 15 yards twice hot on a doe moving fairly quick. He tried just about everything to stop this buck, nothing worked and no shot.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

my first ever year bowhunting a got a shot at a pretty decent PA buck...not huge..probably 90-100 inches...would been an awesome first buck...

had 2 buddies squirrel hunting in the area and trying to move deer a little bit for me..i didnt ask them too..cant even remember if i had knowledge of it prior to shooting..

anyway, a doe and yearlings came by quick...i grunted at them a couple times..nothing...a minute or 2 later here they come running again...same way they just ran in...but behind them is the buck. im already standing...i ID him as legal(atleast 4pts to a side) and something id LOVE to kill...hit full draw...he was heading into my last good lane...."BAH!!" he froze and as he froze i released...i was so quick on the release it wasnt funny...but he froze and swung is neck and was looking right at me...

watched the arrow fly PERFECT for hit vitals...lighted nock made it even easier to see...

as the arrow is flying, i watched him start to sink towards the ground......

sure enough by the time the arrow got there, he was much lower...arrow hit him high in the back above the spine and lungs...still trailed him...200-300yds of pindrops ended and it started raining...called out the crew for the next day...i think there was like 7 of us....we ground pounded for 4 or 5 hours...im convinced he was fine...

almost quit bowhunting and sold the bow...glad i didnt...but i came VERY close..i was sick...

rifle hunting, that was my common practice...either shoot them on the run or stop them...

in the tree stand, i will now let them pass before i stop them and shoot them...just not worth the risk....

only thing to do without letting them blow completely outta range is maybe stop them and HOPE they feed or walk slowly and drop their guard...then shoot...

my view is you didnt likely spook the buck...its running from someone else or chasing does...chances of that buck coming back through are pretty decint...he uses the area and you went undetected...on the other hand, you shoot him and wound him or miss him....your gig is up...chances of shooting him from that stand again are slim to none for the most part...

tough decision...what ive done since then was stop them when needed...the buck i shot last year i stopped...he actually watched me stand and draw...but i waited till he dropped his guard before releasing...worked out...different deer react differently to different things...observing deer and how they react is probably the best way to go about it IMO
Old 11-16-2008, 12:06 AM

One time down In Missouri in late Dec. I was hunting. I was hunting only about 100 yards from a road and I heard a car hit it's brakes. About 8does came running over the hill on a dead run. I was funny I just yelled hey and they all froze. I shot a big doe who was stopped about 10 yards from me. I have also whistled and got a buck to stop for a shot
Old 11-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont like to, but I will stop one for a shot if I think thats all I got.
Use to whistle at them befor grunts or Blah!! come into the picture.

Quick Reply: (Blah!!) Stopping deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.