Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 (Blah!!) Stopping deer >

(Blah!!) Stopping deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

(Blah!!) Stopping deer

Old 11-16-2008, 02:53 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: (Blah!!) Stopping deer

I depends on the situation. On deer under 20 yards....... maybe. On deer 20 yards or more.......No. It would have to be the last resort for me to do it.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would only try it if he is maving in fast other wise i would let him walk where he wants and not alert him
Old 11-16-2008, 03:48 AM
Typical Buck

It depends on the situation. If he is taking a path to where he will likely cross several shooting lanes, I'll keep quite and hope he stops in another. If he is chasing a doe, or is moving fast for whatever reason, or I am about to run out of shooting lanes, I'll definitely make a grunt sound to try and get him to stop.

As has been mentioned, when in hot pursuit of a doe, it is almost impossible to get one to stop, but I am sure gonna at least try.

As far as spining one, aim lower in anticipation of him "jumping the string".

I remember a Will Primos show where he specifically noted that Mississippi deer are notorious for being severe "string jumpers", even when not on alert,and he had to aim lower as compared to other parts of the country where he hunts. I had never heard it regionalized as being different in certain places until then or since then, but who am I to argue with Will Primos?
Old 11-16-2008, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tend to hunt funnels areas or swamp edges that allow deer to travel through.
In all my years of hunting, the heavy majority of deer are trotting or walking through and don't offer me a relaxed shot.
So the "BLAH" has worked well, however, it depends on their demeanor as they approach.
If they appear alert I become cautious as too why they are alert and wonder if it is possibly from me / scent, etc..?
Typically when I stop deer they immediately become alert, of course, and this leads me to try and shoot lower by a few inches.
This is a guess from experience and trying to compensate for them dropping down before they lunge.

Example: I had a nice 8 pointer on archery's opening evening of 2007 pass by me. He trotted through, from my right side, to behind me.
As I got position I only had 1 shooting lane cut in that direction and to stop the buck I had to bleat.
I believe because I was on a knoll and he was under me, the trajectory was steeper, which left me with a smaller aiming point for the vitals.
Unfortunately I DID not compensate for the bleating along with the steeper angle and the buck was on "HIGH" alert and he proceeded to jump my string.
I'm not sure any compensation would have mattered, as this bucks belly hit the ground during his frantic scare while he lunged.
The funny thing is, he took one 10' lunge and walked to about 40 yards as if nothing happened.
At that point he turned back in my direction and flicked his tail, which is equivalent to the middle finger, never knowing what happened, or did he??!!!

So... I marked down YES, but it could have been marked down as under certain circumstances.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Only if I have to. If the walk is slow enough, I'll shoot. Too fast & I'll try to stop it.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I've had mixed results.

I had a good 8 pointer trotting by me really slowly in '06....and I got caught sitting down....bow on the hook. I "mahhh'd" to stop him....and didn't have time to get a shot off. I made a mistake. I SHOULD HAVE not made a sound and just accepted "defeat". What I did was I alerted him to my position....and I didn't see him in that vicinity again all season.

Fast-forward to 11/6/07.....and the SAME buck is coming in from behind me and to my right. I get to a shooting position as he passes behind me mere feet from my tree. He came to a stop (undera sapling)at less than 10yds and stood there looking at the few does that were also under me. When he went to dog one of the does....I again tried to "mahhh" to stop him. No dice. I tried it louder....and he stopped.

I nailed him.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't remember a deer I haven't "blaaah" (stopped) in the last 4 years.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I voted "depends on the situation" I have done it and not done it both to success!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I can't remember a deer I haven't "blaaah" (stopped) in the last 4 years.
x2

But more of a Mahhhhhh.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I chose"it depends". I have done it, but prefer not to. I will only do it if they are moving quickly....then they usually don't know where it came from. Once you alert them...I have found that I had better aim low, cause they are like a springboard ready to drop and go.

Quick Reply: (Blah!!) Stopping deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.