Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Single or multi pin sights? >

Single or multi pin sights?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Single or multi pin sights?

Old 11-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Single or multi pin sights?

Honestly if you don't have the 10 seconds or less it takes to range and adjust the sight on shots 30 yards and over, you probably shouldn't take the shot anyway, on less than 30 yards it really doesn't matter. If I'm pressed for time onclose shotsI don't have to move it, but I can if things are developing slowly.

I like the precision of being able to dial the sight to a per yard specific setting and shoot dead on. This Mule Deer I shot at 36 yards. It only takes a couple of seconds to dial the sight and for me in my experience is much more accurate than splitting pins and trying to decide whether to hold pin A high or pin B low.

Both systems will work, but for me the Single pinwon out. I like the uncluttered view of only one pin, and being able to set my pin to whatever my rangefinder tells me.

Dan

Old 11-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot a single pin on my bowtech. 0-30 is dead on then 35 hold the dot just below the back bone and 40 I put the dot right on top of the back bone. Anything beyond that and I will slide my sight.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Singel is great for 3D but if you dont always have time to addjust it or forget where it is set at it can be a problem.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

All the reasons listed for NOT using a single pin thus far, used to be exactly my point of view... what if I forget to reset it... what if I dont have time to move it.... but then I thought about exactly how I hunt.... I hunt woods... thick woods... my longest shot is probably only going to be 30 yards... if that even. Now I am comfortable shooting to twice that distance under perfect conditions, but that said.... I shoot a single pin slider. Its exactly the same sight picture... every time... whether its a 10 yard shot or a 100 yard shot... same sight picture.

The pin is in the center of the bracket.. and since the eyeball focuses centrally... it makes good sense. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it or not at first... but the more I use it.. the more I won't ever use anything else.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot the trophy ridge matrix 5pin on my hunting bows but use the single pinadjustable on my 3-D set up....
Old 11-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't get it????

How hard is it to remember you've got pins set at 20, 30 40, etc...? With one pin....aren't you ALWAYS (any time the deer isn't EXACTLY at the yardage you have yours set for) "gapping" to some degree?
Old 11-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I don't get it????

How hard is it to remember you've got pins set at 20, 30 40, etc...? With one pin....aren't you ALWAYS (any time the deer isn't EXACTLY at the yardage you have yours set for) "gapping" to some degree?

Depends on the range Jeff.

I'm sure everyone has their own system that works for them. Personally, I leave mine set for 20 yards. Most of my shots are +/- five yards of that... I hold dead on. And the point of impact is only going to be about +/- 1"... and frankly thats about all I'm good for anyway at 20 yards... At 30 she is about 3" low... all I do is aim a little high... I don't know if gapping is right word... hold over maybe... same thing though. I never had any issue with multi-pin sights... the only sights I ever really didn't like were multi-pin vertical sights... and that was simply because I couldn't gap shoot because of the black pins between the fibers. I shoot a .029 fiber.. and in most hunting light.. I can't see the pin itself.. just the end of the fiber. Its almost like shooting with a target scope...save the magnification.

If the deer is over 30-35 yards... then I'll move the thing. In that case I'm probably sitting a field or small food plot... I'll have time to range the deer.. and move the sight. I've used that thing enough that I have a right good amount of confidence in it... and that alone makes it worth using.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

I did both. I have a Viper sliding sight.....with 2 pins! One zeroed at 20, the 2nd at 33. I have a line on my site tape for 40 and 50.

I've used both styles of sights; multi-pin and single. Never really thought one was better than the other for hunting. It's just personal preference, and when I saw the Viper sight, I thought "hey, best of both worlds!" 3 seasons with it, and I'm sure it'll be there for the 4th.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use one pin (fixed) set at 20. I'm good out to 25 (it drops slightly at 25) and if its farther, I just hold a tad high. I don't usually shoot farther than 30 (actually rarely farther than 25) so it works good for me.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Dominant Buck

SC I see what you're saying.

Hinestly....I don't remember to many time susing any other pin but my 20yd. The ones I recall using another.....didn't work out too good. Imagine.

Quick Reply: Single or multi pin sights?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.