Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big buck almost down scenario...thoughts? >

Big buck almost down scenario...thoughts?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big buck almost down scenario...thoughts?

Old 11-13-2008, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Big buck almost down scenario...thoughts?

So, finally last night the action picked up a bit. With our corn now freshly picked, I figured it would be a great time to try my stand on the inside corner of a finger that separates two picked fields. Well, I ended up seeing 10 deer, 4 of them bucks, and two were shooters. The last one that came out at last light was a NICE 8 point. Easily the biggest I've seen since I started archery hunting. I almost sealed the deal at 20yds, I was just waiting for him to turn, but he never did. He walked straight out and away as it faded to black. He never knew I was there, but I rustled the bow in the leaves to get four of the yearlings out of the field after he was 400yds over the rise down the field way out of sight I could barely even make them out at 20yds, and they did scatter. None blew, and I don't think they knew what it was. It's raining all day today, and it's supposed to quit by 4pm when I will want to get out in the stand. The wind is still good for this spot, and I'm wondering if you would hit it as long as the wind is good, or give it a rest? Remember, we only have three days left in the season, and I WANT a crack at that big boy, but I'm not sure if he was just randomly moving through or I might be near is core area. I've never seen him before this point, but he sure walked like he owned the place. Judging by his body size, I would say he's a solid 3.5. Thoughts?
Old 11-13-2008, 05:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Big buck almost down scenario...thoughts?

I don't know what the problem with going back in is?

You have a good wind.
You have limited time.
You weren't busted.

Tell me a negative??????
Old 11-13-2008, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I spooked the yearlings out with my bow in the leaves just at dark. They weren't too scared, just enough to get out of the field, and I'm pretty sure they had no idea what it was since you could barely see anything. I could only see their tails when they jumped into the brush. Once I got down, I didn't hear them anymore, nor did I bust anything on the way out (I have two or three exit routes in this stand). I just don't know if that would bother them, causing them to not come into the field anymore (or early enough) which in turn may not draw him back out there again. I'm convinced the only reason he showed himself was that I had doe in that field all evening feeding.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Matt get back out there and hunt!
Old 11-13-2008, 05:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Yearlings are not too terribly smart at times. Yes it sounds like they got nervous, but they probably weren't spooked. I'd hunt on. Like you say, you've got limited time. Unless you have another stand that he may pass by I'd go for it. You certainly won't kill him sitting in the house in the next 3 days. If you're in a tree.... you've got a chance. They got a choice food source and will hit it. The rut is at hand and the bucks will be trolling. If you got does around the bucks will be close. Go for it.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

Hunt it. This time of year, I've sat the same stand 4-5 days in a row sometimes........all day. Who cares what the yearlings do. You may have a buck thatbeds 5 miles away wander through.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

Whats are you even debating get out there and get him!
Old 11-13-2008, 06:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Gri22 sent me a PM the other day....kinda scolding me for NOT hunting a woodlot when I heard a deer blow as I was entering. He said deer get spooked NUMEROUS times a day. They are nervous as all get-out, anyways.

Worst case scenario....THOSE TWO deer pegged you. If they aren't the only two deer around....I wouldn't worry about it. I'd go in there.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: twildasin

Matt get back out there and hunt!
Exactly Matt. Get your arse back out there and shoot this big guy. Don't worry one bit about spooking those young deer, they've forgotten already.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Think it looks like it will be clearing up soon. I'm heading home from work around 3:20 to get in there for a bit tonight. We shall see[8D]

Quick Reply: Big buck almost down scenario...thoughts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.