Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Internet hunting. >

Internet hunting.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Internet hunting.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:07 PM

Default Internet hunting.

Killing Animals From Your Computer Still Legal In Utah Written by: Doug G. Ware
Email: [email protected]
Last Update: 1/17 12:40 pm Print Story | Email Story RegTextSizeControl('ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_Common Page_CommonBody_CommonContent_CommonLeftColumn_Mai n_V___TextSize',true); An elk stands in a mountain clearing. (File photo) SALT LAKE CITY - It is still fully legal in Utah to hunt big and small game animals from your computer at home -- never having set foot into the wild. But that might change quickly.

A state lawmaker and the Humane Society of Utah both are pushing a bill for the 2008 Utah state legislative session that would create a law banning the practice of Internet hunting.

Internet hunting first appeared online a few years ago at a Texas-based website that allowed people to pay a fee to shoot wild game via their computer. Users wouldcontrol with their mousea tripod-mounted rifle that had been set up in the Texas wilderness. When an animal of interest appeared on the computer screen, the user could line up the crosshairs and click on the "fire" button. Remotely, the rifle would fire and shoot the animal -- which would then be stuffed and sent to the online hunter.

The fee for the practice typically cost approximately $1,500 but drew heavy criticisms from many people and organizations, including the National Rifle Association and Safari Club -- groups that opposed the idea because it was hardly "sporting."

Subsequently, Internet hunting was banned in Texas and the website was shut down. Since then, 34 states have adopted into law a ban on Internet hunting and although there are no online hunting sites currently operated in Utah, the bill is designed to stop the problem before it starts.

"Right now, anyone in Utah could set up an Internet hunting website. We want to follow the lead of the other [states] who have taken the steps to prevent that from happening," said Gene Baierschmidt, executive director of the Humane Society of Utah.

The bill, sponsored by Utah state Senate Majority LeaderMichael Waddoups (R-Salt Lake City),will be introduced at the 2008 Utah state legislature and already has the backing of the Humane Society of Utah.

The Humane Society hopes that eventually a federal law will be passed to ban the practice outright.

"Laws are a lot like medicine. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure," Baierschmidt said.

I just heard about this tonight I think it's crazy, has everyone heard of this before or have I just been living in a cave?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Internet hunting.

If you have been in a cave, I was too.

I just puked a little[:'(]
Old 11-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Spike

the thing in Texas was all over the news a couple years ago. It's really stupid, just think how often your computer freezes up, can you imagine a guy hitting the trigger and 30 seconds later the gun fires. But seriously, yes, not sporting at all. I thought it was illegal everywhere, can't believe Utah is still legal, but you can have 20 wives there too.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are 2 ways to look at this. I agree, on one hand that its not sportsman like, and its not hunting. BUT, for the very few people that used to be sportsman and went out and hunted for years, find them selves unable to ever go out into the woods and hunt again, I think its a nice way to boost there hopes in life to be able to get one last animal. I don't think anyone thats able to go out to the woods should be able to use such a system. It would have to be regulated to the " home bound " Don't get me wrong, I am not sticking up for that kind of hunting. Its just a thought.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is the craziest thing i've ever heard of.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

What a joke![:@]
Old 11-13-2008, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

that makes me sick[:'(]