Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lets have a nice camo discussion! >

Lets have a nice camo discussion!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lets have a nice camo discussion!

Old 11-12-2008, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Lets have a nice camo discussion!

I use Enigma and Ultimate Camo. This is my third season in the Enigma and my first season with UC and I think both are great for their application. Earlier in the year I wore UC because its light, quiet and very comfortable and I think the pattern isawesome. This time of yearwith it being colderit's almost all Enigma simply because its easier for me to layer under and I really like the way its designed with all the pockets and adjustments. I don't like the velcro at all, but live with it. Enigma is tough and very, very quiet and I can bust through briars without worry of getting torn up. During the spring turkey season I'll be back in UC.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:23 AM

Movement (or lack thereof) is paramount to the pattern itself. If you can stay still on the stand, you can probably get away with wearing a Hawaiian shirt and shorts. Having said that, I really like the camo from Predator but I use a lot of Realtree stuff since it is sold everywhere.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think that regardless of pattern you have to consider your background and the environment around you when choosing your camo for the hunt. If the woods are very green and dense a dark pattern with leaves would be good, but later on when the leaves change yellow and orange that dark camo will make you stand out, soa lighter background pattern would be better, then when the leaves are down a very light pattern with dark lines would be best.

Careful consideration of the environment you are hunting in should dictate what you use, not the name on the label. Also, as others have said camo is only one piece of the puzzle. Stand positioning, wind, and scent control are all factors just as, if not more important than the camo you wear.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

Agreed. I'm much more concerned with the functionality of the camo...for my purposes...than I am the pattern.

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

I think that regardless of pattern you have to consider your background and the environment around you when choosing your camo for the hunt. If the woods are very green and dense a dark pattern with leaves would be good, but later on when the leaves change yellow and orange that dark camo will make you stand out, soa lighter background pattern would be better, then when the leaves are down a very light pattern with dark lines would be best.

Careful consideration of the environment you are hunting in should dictate what you use, not the name on the label. Also, as others have said camo is only one piece of the puzzle. Stand positioning, wind, and scent control are all factors just as, if not more important than the camo you wear.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Predator Deception or Natural Gear for me seem to be the trick. I practice scent control however. Just dont wanna work in the extra variables of smelling like gasoline or smoke or whatever.....
Old 11-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

1) No sudden movements.
2) Break up your outline.

Unless you are a glowing albino this will make 99% of deer look right through you. I use camo, but just in the old army BDU pattern and I have bowhunted a couple times in blue jeans and t shirt when it is unbearably hot. This year was the first time in years I was seen by a deer, and its because I was being mr swivelhead. Thankfully, he didnt get out of range fast enough. That being said, I know some camos help more than others with getting away with small movements if you just cannot stop twitching and jerking on stand[8D].
Old 11-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

I decided to wear blaze orange top to bottom last weekend and sit in a chair next to a tree. I had 3 does walk up within 10 yards of me and did not run off until I moved my head. I was also not wearing any sort of scent elimination products.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

Jeans, boots and a cut off flannel, guns exposed to all!
Have you been visiting my Pennsylvania woods??!?!?!

Ryan.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Nissan, As far as saying scent control is BS, would you call yourself a serious hunter? More simply, do you read biological research articles and books where studied have been conducted as to the strength of a deer's nose?
The only type of scent control I use is natural fall leaf rubbed on my gear. And yes I do call myself a serious hunter. Have never got a season without getting a buck. Not one season.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Where I hunt the lighter, more open camo patterns seem to work best.

Predator, ASAT, Enigma all look to be good choices. I prefer Predator.

The New Mossy Oak TreeStand also looks very good. High quality hunting clothes are the Best investment a serious hunter can make. Comfort is of utmost importance for staying in the woods and staying on stand.

Nothing helps keep you more comfortable than Quality clothes. Keeping dry, warm, and alert is very important and will keep you hunting, instead of walking back to the Truck, cold, wet, and miserable.

Last year I hunted temps from close to 90 degrees down to 15 degrees below zero. I try to be prepared for whatever Mother Nature throws at me.

Dan

Quick Reply: Lets have a nice camo discussion!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.