Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buffalo Down

Old 11-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default Buffalo Down

I got hooked on the idea of shooting a buffalo with my bow on this sight a few months back and I finally got to go out and stick one. I live in TX and went to Sweetwater Creek Bowhunting Ranch in Decatur. Funny thing is that while I was talking to the guides there, I told them about using the Rage heads this year for deer and they said that the Rage has the highest percentage of lost game on their ranch and that they wouldnt suggest using them to anyone. They said "yeah they make a big entrance hole, but that hole uses up all the energy and there is nothing left to make an exit hole". I just thought that I would throw that out there for some of you people who are still debating on using the Rage.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Buffalo Down

So was the point of this to share in your taking of a buffalo or to take a poke at Rage heads? Cause you pretty much said nothing about the buffalo.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks, I'll add that to my list.

The Rage broadhead things not to shoot list:

1. Steel drums.
2. Dirt.
3. Buffalo
Old 11-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

Thanks, I'll add that to my list.

The Rage broadhead things not to shoot list:

1. Steel drums.
2. Dirt.
3. Buffalo
LOL!!! I wasnt going to shoot the Buffalo with the Rage. They were making that statement as a whole (hogs, axis, fallow, white tail).

Also not trying to take a cheap shot at the Rage users either. I sat with them on my arrows this year but never got a shot to try them out myself. But if a Bowhunting Only ranch says that they are not all they are cracked up to be, then I kinda believe them. I was just sharing info and dont have any pics of the Buffalo here at work and knew I would have my man card revoked if I posted a story without the pics.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

So what broadhead did you end up using and tell us about the hunt. Post the pics later.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

The 'hunt' was more of a meat 'hunt' so there is no real good story as far as a stalk or anything like that is concerned. I got to within 20 yards of a big Cow (since I was mainly going after the meat) and sunk a Montec G5 in to her right side. She ran up through the heard about thirty yards and came back towards me and the guide.She thenoffered a shot at her left side and the only other braodheads I had in my quiver were Rage two blades. I told the guide I was going to stick on of those in her left side to get her down quicker and he said "betyou a dollar it wont go through her". I let one fly and she snapped my arrow in two when she started to run again. It did put a 2 inch hole in the side of her just behind the shoulder but only penetrated about 5 inches. I could hear her breathing out of the holeso I knew I made a good lung shot. She went down just about a minuteafter that. Thats when the guide talked about the Rage loosing the most animals (not just buffalo).I took one of the tenderloins straight to the deer lease after the hunt and grilled it up there. If you have never tasted Buffalo then you have been missing out. It is delicious.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:35 PM

Man, that sounds like a fun "hunt"
Old 11-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

Was your first shot with the Montec a pass thru? How many complete pass thru shots on a buffalo is said guide seeing with fixed heads? Still sounds like your trying to serve two purposes with your postshere.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

Was your first shot with the Montec a pass thru? How many complete pass thru shots on a buffalo is said guide seeing with fixed heads? Still sounds like your trying to serve two purposes with your postshere.
Nope. No pass through with the Montec. Not really trying to serve any purpose but to pass along yet another opinion about the Rage. Just thought that an opinion from someone who deals with bow hunting would be welcomed by a few others.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:37 PM

OH BOY seems like anytime i see (rage) on a post i see light sarcastic poking back and forth ? there is MUCH debate about them. I personaly shot them and muzzys this year and my only true belief is you gotta have a fast/powerful bow or a VERY well placed shot at close range with them. Im kinda dissapointed, in the beginning of the year my diehard buddies told me " your just surcumming to all that fancy marketing their doing there nothing special , whats wrong with your muzzys ? "So far im on the ropes rage good/bad but it sure makes for some good reading on here !! LOL !!

Quick Reply: Buffalo Down

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.