Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 cutting diameter >

cutting diameter

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

cutting diameter

Old 11-10-2008, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cutting diameter

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So the question is......WOuld you rather be shot with this......4 blades @ 2" ea.....for a total cutting surface of 8"........

or....

ONE blade that's 8" long?

Both wounds are going to cut completely through you.
" In my opinion" your on the right track. What you have to consider is the shape of the wound, there's really no such thing as "cutting diameter", the hole's not round. A three bladed head will give you a triangular hole and a four bladed head will give you a square hole. What I feel needs to be compared is the anount of surface area within that square or triangle. As an example I did the math forfour popular size heads; a 1" four blade, a 1 1/8" four blade, a 1 1/8" three bladed head and a 1 1/4" three blade head.

1 1/8" 3-blade head; 1.687" of blade cutting surface and the triangular hole has .474 sq in of surface area.

1 1/4" 3-blade; 1.875" blade cutting surface and .583 sq in surface area wound.

1" 4-blade; 2" blade cutting surface and .5 sq in surface area within the square wound channel.

1 1/8" 4-blade; 2.25" cutting surface and .632 sq in wound area.

An eight bladed hole like in the illustration would only increase the surface area minimally over a four bladed head and even though they give a large slitI worry about the hole made by a 2-blade clogging up.

This is how I understand the explanation that I got from Gary at Slick Tricks, I shoot the 1 1/8" Slick Trick Magnums.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

im still cutting 2"s into the heart(using your example) with a 1" head with four blades

put a jug of water up and shoot it with either head i bet it drains at the same speed, because there is 2"s of cut in it either way.

this was in reply to a post on the first page sorry
Old 11-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Northport buckslayr

I am still not convinced that you get more blood and damage with a two blade rage than a MUzzy MX-4, or a slick trick magnum. Why is it better to have the cutting area made thinner and longer? I think its just advertising.

LOL....if you're so confident it's just hype give it a try! Prove yourself correct by comparing your Muzzy to the Rage 2 blade. I'd bet my whole bow setup you'd either be impressed about the rage 2blade or you'd be a liar.
[disclaimer: rage 2blade is the only expandable I've ever shot, this statement only reflects the performance of the rage vs my old muzzy 4 blade and thunderhead 3 blades...feel free to donate other expandables to me if you'd like to hear more of my opinions : ) ]
Old 11-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

What some forget here is that ANY mechanical (not just Rage) is always going to have a certain amount of failure because it is a mechanical. Entropy, Mfg defects, poor design, human/hunter error, mechanical failure, are all part of the equation when using any product that moves.....or mechanical. Add into the mix that this little machine is being used on an animal that is very wary, has great senses, is extremely quick, and can be very hard to kill. Also bone structure and incident angles need to be considered.

The BIG problem with Rage is that their product is overly hyped (advertised) particularly on TV. IMHO they have set themselves up to be criticized.......some unfairly.......some because its the truth.

You gotta admit you rarely see these kind of threads concerning any other BH.

Just my 2 cents
Old 11-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

Chrowski, I am just expressing my opinion and I never claimed to be stating a fact. Calling me a liar because you have a different opinion is silly and immature. I believe freely expressing an opinion is part of the first amendment.

Rocky Mountain (same company as Rage, whose fixed blade Ironhead I have had great success with) has been selling snypers and gators for years and they havent been as big a deal as Rage, so I still believe the popularity is due greatly to advertising.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Northport buckslayr

Chrowski, I am just expressing my opinion and I never claimed to be stating a fact. Calling me a liar because you have a different opinion is silly and immature. I believe freely expressing an opinion is part of the first amendment.

Rocky Mountain (same company as Rage, whose fixed blade Ironhead I have had great success with) has been selling snypers and gators for years and they havent been as big a deal as Rage, so I still believe the popularity is due greatly to advertising.
Read it again. I never called you a liar ...I suggested you would be afterusing an expanable broadhead, such as the rage 2blade,if you said there was no significant improvement in cutting damage.